Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Very sensitive "K" key on 15" Al Powerbookk, can I reseat it?

Very sensitive "K" key on 15" Al Powerbookk, can I reseat it?
petertruong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2006, 10:03 PM

Hey guys, just got a powerbookk and noticed that my "K" key is very sensitive where a lot of the time I press it, 2 K's will show up. It's not too horrible but it is pretty annoying. This is my first Apple so don't know much, but can I pry off the key and reseat it? Thanks for the help; great forum.

petertruong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2006, 10:04 PM

oh yah, if I can reseat it, what's the best way of doing that? A butter knife or something? Haha, I don't kknow. Suggestions?

AmericanPsych0
Feb 5, 2006, 12:01 AM

I reconfigured my 12" PowerBook's keyboard twice--once to the Dvorak format, and then again back to Qwerty. Both times all I did was lift up on the top-left edge of the key. It's a bit worrisome at first, but just get your finger under it and pull up slowly and steadily. Putting it back on it as easy as sitting it on top of the little mechanism underneath and pushing down on it. If it seems uneven, push down on the edge that looks higher and you should hear a snapping sound.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by petertruong
Hey guys, just got a powerbookk and noticed that my "K" key is very sensitive where a lot of the time I press it, 2 K's will show up. It's not too horrible but it is pretty annoying. This is my first Apple so don't know much, but can I pry off the key and reseat it? Thanks for the help; great forum.

Well, if you notice that more keys are super sensitive, you may have the double characters bug. Let us know if this is the situation.

From time to time, Apple will typically instead become Appple, etc. The problem may vary from day to day, week to week.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 10:38 AM

so I was playing around with my dad's newly bought 17" powerbook a couple years ago and that 'k' button just popped out with my index finger. I was physically frozen for 10 mins

Enters Super Glue - works wonders!- Still a secret my father never found out

petertruong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 09:14 PM

Hmm, it does only seem to happen with the "K" key. I reseated it and it did help quite a bit, but it's still more sensitive than the other keys still.

ibook_steve
Feb 6, 2006, 12:59 AM

How about just seeing if turning down the keyboard sensitivity has any affect?

Steve

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 09:36 AM

I had the same thing on my powerbook but with a different key. Took it to Tekserve and they said the only way to fix it is by replacing the keyboard, which they did. Everything working perfectly since.

Good luck

chipchen
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 03:35 PM

most likely defective keyboard. Take it to an Apple Store, replicate the issue for them.

Pismo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 07:05 PM

I just got my 15" Aluminum PB back from Apple today after two weeks. I sent it to them so they can replace the corroding palm rest (under warranty of course). When I took it out of the box, booted it up and started using it, I noticed that the R and " keys were SUPER sensative. This has never happened to me before, even before sending it to Apple. So, something must've happened after Apple got it and took it apart. I have popped the keys off and found nothing out of the ordinary. Therer was no crud under the keys. I called a local Apple retailer and certified repair shop and told them about it. They're going to look at it this weekend. I don't want to send it back to Apple because I'm afraid it'll take another two weeks and I can't afford to be without a computer for that long, again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules