Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > letters echoing with external keyboard

letters echoing with external keyboard
thingsthatgobump
Mar 29, 2006, 03:22 AM

I have a fairly new 15" G4 powerbook, and there's been a weird bug since the beginning. Whenever I use an apple external USB keyboard, I occasionally have letters "echoing". Sometimes I even get the next key before the echo, which seems even stranger. I have so far tested three Apple keyboards, and two pc-keyboards. This behaviour only happens when using the Apple external ones.

Tested so far:

3 apple usb keyboards
Using a powered usb hub
Slowing down / disabling key repeats from the settings
Resetting the pram (cmd + alt + P + R)
Manually installing an OS X update package "recomended by google"

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by kamina
I have a fairly new 15" G4 powerbook, and there's been a weird bug since the beginning. Whenever I use an apple external USB keyboard, I occasionally have letters "echoing". Sometimes I even get the next key before the echo, which seems even stranger. I have so far tested three Apple keyboards, and two pc-keyboards. This behaviour only happens when using the Apple external ones.

Tested so far:

3 apple usb keyboards
Using a powered usb hub
Slowing down / disabling key repeats from the settings
Resetting the pram (cmd + alt + P + R)
Manually installing an OS X update package "recomended by google"

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?
Try writing something on your built-in keyboard, fast, and preferrably words with double characters. Try it several times at different occasions and see if you notice any anomalities like you described in your post.

Also, search this board and Apple discussions for "typing problems", "double characters" etc. Many are experiencing these problems, but for now there are no known solutions. I believe there is a bug in Apple keyboards, since the problem shows up even in open firmware. Have been in dialouge with apple support over this in 12 months. The issue is now elevated to engineering...

Ok, let me know your findings.

thingsthatgobump  (op)
Mar 30, 2006, 02:24 AM

Thanks for the reply, it's really appreciated. I've emailed our local apple contact about this twice, and still did'nt get a reply (every other time I asked them for anything I get a reply within a few hours) so I figured it's not an easy one...

I don't have any problems with the built in keyboard, and I use it almost as much as the external apple keyboard (whch causes problems). I only have the external one at the office, on the road and at home I use the internal one.

Actually even at the office I'm forced to write all passwords with the internal keybooard, as it almost allways repeats letters using the external one.

The problem is worse if there is load on the computer.
( Last edited by kamina; Mar 30, 2006 at 02:35 AM. )

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by kamina
Thanks for the reply, it's really appreciated. I've emailed our local apple contact about this twice, and still did'nt get a reply (every other time I asked them for anything I get a reply within a few hours) so I figured it's not an easy one...

I don't have any problems with the built in keyboard, and I use it almost as much as the external apple keyboard (whch causes problems). I only have the external one at the office, on the road and at home I use the internal one.

Actually even at the office I'm forced to write all passwords with the internal keybooard, as it almost allways repeats letters using the external one.

The problem is worse if there is load on the computer.
Ok, you aree lucky to have this problem with only external keyboards. I have it with my internal Powerbook 1.5 Ghz. Interesting to see that you have noticed that it varies. That makes it more difficult to diagnose the problem. My keyboard ssometimes works well, and other times it is double letters bonanza! As you can see from the ttext, it is only moderate right now, but my god it is so annoying!!

If you ever find out, please let me know.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2006, 04:13 PM

Happened to me too, for a while, with my bluetooth keyboard, on a 12" PB. Mostly happened in Safari, rarely in Mail or iChat. Hasn't happened for a week or two now (*knock on wood*).
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules