Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Whine still present...

Whine still present...
seventn
May 29, 2006, 09:31 AM

Is the whine noise still present in the latest MBP 15 inch 2.0Ghz? Sold my Powerbook for an amazing price but now am waiting to hear that the issues have been fixed...

Please help and give me hope cause I'm going crazy without a laptop..uh sorry..without a mobile computer

john

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by seventn
Is the whine noise still present in the latest MBP 15 inch 2.0Ghz? Sold my Powerbook for an amazing price but now am waiting to hear that the issues have been fixed...

Please help and give me hope cause I'm going crazy without a laptop..uh sorry..without a mobile computer

john
Well, hard to say, mileage may vary.

I bought a MBP 2.16 (BTO 2.0 GHz) the day before yesterday. It has no whine (at least I can't hear it and I am usually sensitive to such noises). The MBP is beautiful in every way and the only thing that is a bit "off" so far is the eject key that seems a little out of its place (but that seems to be the situation with all mbp's and you would never notice unless you really scrutinize the keyboard) so build quality is good on my specimen.

A fast, well-built, versatile and beautiful machine IMHO, though it does get hotter than my old PB 1.5GHz and battery life is not improved, which is slightly disappointing, having heard all the intel perfomance-to-watt arguments from SJ.

seventn  (op)
May 29, 2006, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I can live with a weird eject key but not the whine!!!

So others can confirm the same?

gogogo9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 07:01 PM

Sophus, I thought that now there is no BTO option to bump 2.0 GHz to 2.16GHz after Apple removed 1.83GHz model. In Apple store you can either get 2.0 or 2.16. Unless you bought it from someone who bought it before Apple increased the speeds, when the option was available.

armyantz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 07:06 PM

just get over it and get one

I have an older 1.83 -- it has the whine but it is so faint, I really don't give a crap anymore.

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 07:10 PM

I've got a speed bumped 15" 2.0 and I don't hear a whine.

I don't really know what the whine sounds like, but I don't think I've got it.
MacBook Pro - 2.0GHz Core Duo
iBook - 1.2GHz G4
PowerMac - Dual Core 2.3GHz G5
Mac mini - 1.25GHz G4

Forum Links
Forum Rules