Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My Firsthand Info About Leopard

My Firsthand Info About Leopard (Page 2)
El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
It only does that for tabs where you have entered text and not submitted it. Not every tab you close.
Sure, I understand that. But, I don't think I've ever closed a tab on accident where I would need Safari to pop up an alert.

If I'm closing a tab, 99.9% of the time it's because I want it closed, I don't need Safari butting to cover me for that .1% chance.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 03:15 PM

99.9% of the time, you probably haven't entered text in the fields of the tab you're closing.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by El Gato
Sure, I understand that. But, I don't think I've ever closed a tab on accident where I would need Safari to pop up an alert.
If you don't make the mistake, you won't see the alert, so how could it possibly bother you?

If I'm closing a tab, 99.9% of the time it's because I want it closed, I don't need Safari butting to cover me for that .1% chance.
What's the harm in it, again?

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
If you don't make the mistake, you won't see the alert, so how could it possibly bother you?
What I'm saying is that if I do have text in a field that I have not submitted, and the tab gets closed, it's because I wanted the tab closed. There's maybe a small chance that the tab was closed on accident without the text being submitted, but most likely not. Either way, Safari is going to post an alert.

That is what's going to annoy me.

Originally Posted by slug^3
What's the harm in it, again?
It's annoying - to me personally, maybe not to anyone else.

All I asked was whether it can be disabled or not. There are other alerts that pop-up that allow you to disable them in the future. I was curious if this would allow a similar option.

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 04:00 PM

That's correct, it only alerts you when you make changes to the page and try to lose the window.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 04:02 PM

What I'm saying is that if I do have text in a field that I have not submitted, and the tab gets closed, it's because I wanted the tab closed. There's maybe a small chance that the tab was closed on accident without the text being submitted, but most likely not.
What I'm saying is that if I do have text in a word processing document that I have not saved, and the window gets closed, it's because I wanted the window closed. There's maybe a small chance that the window was closed on [sic] accident without the text being saved, but most likely not.

It's the exact same thing, and people have been asking for it for Quite Some Time.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Moose
What I'm saying is that if I do have text in a word processing document that I have not saved, and the window gets closed, it's because I wanted the window closed. There's maybe a small chance that the window was closed on [sic] accident without the text being saved, but most likely not.

It's the exact same thing, and people have been asking for it for Quite Some Time.
Fantastic, I'm glad you're getting your feature request.

Now, give me a way to turn it off.

I don't see this as anywhere near being the exact same thing as a word processing document, so your analogy is a bit pointless.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 04:24 PM

I don't see this as anywhere near being the exact same thing as a word processing document, so your analogy is a bit pointless.
Web pages are documents. Some of them allow user input, much like, for example, prepared forms in Word.

Offering the user the chance to prevent potential data loss from the inadvertent closure of the document is good UI.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Moose
Web pages are documents. Some of them allow user input, much like, for example, prepared forms in Word.

Offering the user the chance to prevent potential data loss from the inadvertent closure of the document is good UI.
Sure, if you're working on mission critical documents through a web browser, then this may be useful for you.

I don't. I either work locally or use a VPN, as I'm sure a lot of other people do. This is not a feature for me, it's an annoyance. Hence, that is why I asked in my original post if it could be disabled. If you want to use it, good for you.

I don't understand what the big deal is if I don't want Safari throwing up an alert for this.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 05:21 PM

This is an annoyance for you? How often do needlessly type text into a web page? And why?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 05:25 PM

Sure, if you're working on mission critical documents through a web browser, then this may be useful for you.

I don't. I either work locally or use a VPN, as I'm sure a lot of other people do. This is not a feature for me, it's an annoyance. Hence, that is why I asked in my original post if it could be disabled. If you want to use it, good for you.

I don't understand what the big deal is if I don't want Safari throwing up an alert for this.
I guess it just seems weird that if you think the alert will almost never come up in your use that you should have a problem with it. On the other hand, I do occasionally start responding to a post on these forums, get really wordy, and change my mind. Probably a little more often than I accidentally close a tab in which I've typed something important, so I can see your point.

But arguing is fun!

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
This is an annoyance for you? How often do needlessly type text into a web page? And why?
Well...

On the other hand, I do occasionally start responding to a post on these forums, get really wordy, and change my mind.
There it is. Sure, I can't say that it happens often; but it does happen.

And when I have typed something into a field and close the tab (accidentally or otherwise), I would like it to just close rather than having to respond to an alert first. I can understand why others may like having a reminder, I would just prefer not to.

Ok, have we beaten this sufficiently to death yet? Can we get back to some NDA-breaking updates?

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 06:29 PM

OMG people here a INSANE, it's a feature YOU CAN TURN OFF IN THE PREFERENCES. GEEZE GET OVER IT. If you don't screw up 99.999% of the time then YOU WILL NEVER EVER SEE IT. IF YOU WANT TO SCREW UP .0001% of the time, then just disable the warning in safari > preferences...

Man, some people.... seriously.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
OMG people here a INSANE, it's a feature YOU CAN TURN OFF IN THE PREFERENCES. GEEZE GET OVER IT. If you don't screw up 99.999% of the time then YOU WILL NEVER EVER SEE IT. IF YOU WANT TO SCREW UP .0001% of the time, then just disable the warning in safari > preferences...

Man, some people.... seriously.
My original post:

Originally Posted by me
I hope you can disable that alert...
That's all I wanted to know. Thank you for clarifying.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 03:52 AM

I guess it just seems weird that if you think the alert will almost never come up in your use that you should have a problem with it. On the other hand, I do occasionally start responding to a post on these forums, get really wordy, and change my mind.
When that happens, I don't close the tab; I hit the "Back" button.

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 06:05 AM

spotlight is an app + the usual menubar item, you can launch it both ways. It's very clear that it's just a preview of what's going to happen in the finder.
No, Spotlight is not an app. In the Preview there are icons for Dashboard, Spotlight, Spaces and Exposé in the Applications folder.

They work exactly like the Dashboard icon in Tiger. They aren't apps, they just enable the function.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
LSO it has a feature I've always wanted for years, and years and years. YOU CAN CHOOSE Save or OPEN and drag a folder into the dialog box, to automatically navigate to that directory. Great timesaver when the window is already open.
That's been there at least since Tiger, Panther too, I believe. You can also drag and drop an object into a Terminal window to copy its file path there.
It's been there since 10.0 as far as I remember. Heck, even OS 9 could do it if the app used Navigation Services for its Open and Save panels.

edit: argh! i can't believe i did that particular abuse of the apostrophe

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2006, 03:23 PM

Spotlight now is an app, as a matter of fact most of spotlight (and the spotlight menu in the menubar is now run and managed by a process called spotlight, not SystemUIServer as it was previously, plus it's heaps faster all around.

Safari now has some nice crap javascript protection:

Piechart progress indicator (had to turn it on under debug menu though)

Safari actually seems a lot faster in general.

The Dock now has spring loaded folders, A2DP bluetooth audio seems to be supported (was a bit of a sore point for Tiger for some).

Improved file dialogs:

I just noticed in the Finder, hitting enter to rename a file now only selects the name portion, not the file extension.

BOMArchiver (the app that unzips zip files etc) is now called "Archive Utility" and even has a preferences dialog now.

And one more thing I just noticed while typing this: In Safari 3.0 I can resize this text entry box. Notice the resize gadget. There doesn't seem to be a limit in size either (smaller or larger).

I've tested User Interface scaling with quartz debug and although it's still not glitch free, it works a lot better than it did in Tiger. Oh, and in this build of OS X there doesn't seem to be a startup screen. (apple logo screen, briefly blue and then the login window)

The cocoa view changing effect (the one used in system preferences when you switch between panes) now has a motion blur + fade effect which is a bit subtly different from tiger - only a real nerd would notice however
( Last edited by qnxde; Aug 19, 2006 at 03:31 PM. )

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Thinine
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 06:53 PM

I can echo the Safari speed increase. I'm thinking that page loading is now multithreaded, since a lot of the speed increase seemed the various pieces of the page loading simultaneously. I'm not sure where this is from, whether Safari itself or the underlying networking code. I don't think it's WebKit, since any changes like that would be public knowledge (unless they have some sort of secret internal repository).

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by qnxde

greatest sig EVER!!!

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the pics qnxde. Can you tell us what the Open/Save dialog looks like when you don't do a Spotlight search? What options does the arrow on the view control give you?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2006, 02:17 PM

And one more thing I just noticed while typing this: In Safari 3.0 I can resize this text entry box. Notice the resize gadget. There doesn't seem to be a limit in size either (smaller or larger).)
That was in the WebKit nightlies for a while. It seems to have been removed temporarily. But the whole thing was horrendously buggy when it was in, so maybe it's really, really not ready yet.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Franz
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2006, 04:16 PM

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but in Safari you can now:

1) Drag tabs around to reorder them
2) Drag a tab out to make it a new window
3) Combine multiple windows into one window (so five windows would become one window with five tabs)

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2006, 06:01 PM

The cocoa view changing effect (the one used in system preferences when you switch between panes) now has a motion blur + fade effect which is a bit subtly different from tiger
Is the transition any faster? I'm getting heart attacks just thinking about diving into the system prefs.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Franz
3) Combine multiple windows into one window (so five windows would become one window with five tabs)
Interesting. How does that work UI-wise? Do you just select a menu command that puts all open windows into tabs of one window, or can you drag windows onto the tab bar of another window? Is it an 'all-or-nothing' type of thing or can you chose which windows are to be combined?
•

bernt
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Interesting. How does that work UI-wise? Do you just select a menu command that puts all open windows into tabs of one window, or can you drag windows onto the tab bar of another window? Is it an 'all-or-nothing' type of thing or can you chose which windows are to be combined?
In Safari choose the Windows menu, then Merge all windows.

bernt
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2006, 09:13 AM

It does not seem to be possible to drag tabs between windows. And the "Merge All Windows" is all-or-nothing.

OT - @ bernt: Do you by any chance also frequent dt.net?

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 09:38 AM

It is possible to drag tabs between windows.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2006, 09:49 AM

Hmm. What do you know? I just tried it again, and it worked this time.

bernt
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by cybergoober
It does not seem to be possible to drag tabs between windows. And the "Merge All Windows" is all-or-nothing.

OT - @ bernt: Do you by any chance also frequent dt.net?
Nope, never been to dt.net
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by cla
Is the transition any faster? I'm getting heart attacks just thinking about diving into the system prefs.
It's supposed to be the same speed from what i can tell, but it was a little laggier than tiger. Keep in mind my system is very marginal (1ghz 12" Powerbook, 32MB Geforce 5200 - just barely coreimage supported)

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2006, 05:42 PM

Does Safari 3 finally support Inline editing (aka using the vbulletin wysiwyg editor) Firefox has this and is extremely useful.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Aug 22, 2006, 01:38 AM

Dock: spring-loaded folders? I don't follow… can someone explain that?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 01:42 AM

If you have a folder in your Dock, it will spring open when you drag something on it. It's just like spring loaded folders in the Finder.
Vandelay Industries

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Aug 22, 2006, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
If you have a folder in your Dock, it will spring open when you drag something on it. It's just like spring loaded folders in the Finder.
Heh, a kind of thing that harks all the way back to OS 8 (tab/spring folders)! I'd forgotten about it all together.
OK. thanks.

T

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2006, 02:41 AM

No, it is apparently just like spring loaded folders in the Finder. The classic Finder's window tabs are a different feature entirely.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
No, it is apparently just like spring loaded folders in the Finder. The classic Finder's window tabs are a different feature entirely.
That's true, but with spring-loaded Dock folders, you could sort of approximate the functionality of the old Finder window tabs.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 22, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro:
Heh, a kind of thing that harks all the way back to OS 8 (tab/spring folders)! I'd forgotten about it all together.
OK. thanks.

T

Na it is no way near as cool. All it does is bring up a window in the finder. Almost pointless actually.

"Hello, what have we here?

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 02:41 PM

Anyone have a screen/movie of spring loaded folders? I really loved those things.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2006, 02:53 PM

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 22, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by TimmyDee51
Anyone have a screen/movie of spring loaded folders? I really loved those things.
Picture it... hold a file over the folder in the dock.... a regular finder window appears.

End of story.

"Hello, what have we here?

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 05:03 PM

So a window just appears? Does it slide up (or over) from the Dock or just pop out of nowhere?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

MartiNZ
Senior User
Aug 22, 2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by TimmyDee51
So a window just appears? Does it slide up (or over) from the Dock or just pop out of nowhere?
Yeah I was imagining something along the lines of the Dock's own magnification system, ending in a window ... or a genie effect.

While on the topic, can anyone tell me if there are other spring-loaded elements - for instance in the Finder toolbar ... unbelievably often I want to have the back/forward and path buttons spring-loadable!

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2006, 11:58 PM

I hope they decide to take spring-loaded items in the dock to its full potential. Allow me to drag a item over a minimized window in the dock and the window returns to normal size allowing me to drag the item into it.
Mac OS X vs. Windows Vista
http://www.macvswindows.com/

MartiNZ
Senior User
Aug 23, 2006, 12:03 AM

Yep, would be cool. While they're at it they should make it so when you drag a picture onto System Preferences it brings it to the foreground, assuming you want to whack a desktop in the well ... having to cmd-tab is just an extra step.

Also the ability to properly copy files between windows in the Finder using cmd-` to switch between them. At the moment you can sort of do this, provided you only click and don't start dragging. Of course, you can do it with exposé but why not the easy way as well .

Franz
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by MPMoriarty
I hope they decide to take spring-loaded items in the dock to its full potential. Allow me to drag a item over a minimized window in the dock and the window returns to normal size allowing me to drag the item into it.
I have good news for you - I've just tried dragging a file to a minimized Finder window and it works!

Originally Posted by MartiNZ
Yep, would be cool. While they're at it they should make it so when you drag a picture onto System Preferences it brings it to the foreground, assuming you want to whack a desktop in the well ... having to cmd-tab is just an extra step.
An easier way IMO is to make an Automator workflow with just the one action "Set Desktop Picture" and save it as a Finder plug in. Then just right click on the file to set it as your desktop.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 01:16 AM

I have good news for you - I've just tried dragging a file to a minimized Finder window and it works!
What about other windows like let's say...a minimized new mail message?

Franz
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2006, 03:04 AM

I can't check Mail cause Wifi doesn't seem to work in Leopard and I don't have a mail account set up in it, but it appears to work in every window.

I have tried minimized Safari, System Preferences, iTunes, etc and they all work so I'm sure Mail does as well.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 07:57 AM

I can't check Mail cause Wifi doesn't seem to work in Leopard and I don't have a mail account set up in it, but it appears to work in every window.

I have tried minimized Safari, System Preferences, iTunes, etc and they all work so I'm sure Mail does as well.
WiFi does work in Leopard.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 10:19 PM

Awesome. That is good news. That's another item off my list of things I really would have liked added to Mac OS X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules