Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > LED MBP different system from MBP C2D?

LED MBP different system from MBP C2D?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2007, 06:45 PM

Hi All,

I've replaced my Macbook Pro Core2Duo with a new LED version. The old machine left a couple of weeks before the new one came in, so I cloned the old machine's drive using Super Duper (great app, recommended by MacNN regulars).

When I start up the new machine from the external drive (the one with the clone of the old machine's drive), the new machine has a kernel panic.

I should point out that I successfully started the old machine and _another_ identical machine with this external hard drive, as a test before I sent my machine away. I've also booted the new machine with the system that it's already got (but I haven't gone through all of the new machine setup procedure, I've just hit the OSX installer splash screen).

So, do the new LED machines use a different system from the last generation?The cloned drive has 10.4.10 on it, and that seems to be the latest (at least according to Software Update on my desktop machine).

The cloned drive has numerous apps on it, and of course is highly customised to my working style. I'd hate to have to start installing everything from scratch, it'll take hours. Any way to update the system on the cloned drive? (I can of course attach it to my desktop machine, but I can't start the desktop machine from the system on the cloned drive because it's for Intel, and my desktop is a G5 :-/

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chas

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2007, 06:57 PM

Yes, I believe they are based on the Intel Santa Rosa platform. They need a special version (the latest, not released probably) of OSX with chipset drivers etc to run. What you can do is:
  1. Try to import your apps and user settings/docs using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (or whatever they call it). Drive must be connected through firewire).
  2. Connect th drive and manually transfer Apps, prefs etc. Tedious drag and drop work, but works in general (exception for some apps that needs to be reinstalled (Parallels, some Adobe apps etc that put stuff outside the Apps folder or need drivers to work).
  3. Boot your drive on another, older mac. Run the latest update (if any since the release of the LED MacBook Pros) and you will have the needed drivers in OSX and can boot from it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 07:56 PM

Yea, I'd also guess that it needs newer drivers for the Crestline (not Santa Rosa) chipset and perhaps some of the other hardware that has changed (camera, etc).

jtrwallace
Jul 2, 2007, 07:59 PM

why not just use the migration assistant? that's what I did. Every single setting is preserved, every file the same, everything is exactly how it was. I went from powerbook to mbp this way. the only time i ever clone is for obvious f up reasons.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 08:01 PM

You probably have to update that drive's installation to 10.4.10 in order to boot that MBP.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Jul 2, 2007, 08:10 PM

Use Migration Assistant. It transfers all your settings, so you can continue using your customizations.
(Problems such as this one are actually the reason why I don't clone going from one machine to the next.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

desertmac
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 10:53 PM

I have tried this in reverse and get the same problem. Have a 15" 2.4. Created a bootable backup of this drive using Synchronize Pro. The backup (on a FW Drive) boots my 2.4 fine. But when I try to boot my 2.33 from it, kernel panic. I have 10.4.9 installed on both machines.

Any thoughts about this? Would love to have 1 backup drive that I could use with both machines.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

simonnr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sophus View Post
Boot your drive on another, older mac. Run the latest update (if any since the release of the LED MacBook Pros) and you will have the needed drivers in OSX and can boot from it.[/LIST]
Tried it doesnt work.. the installer is really fussy..

I had EXACTLY the same problem!

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...d-mbp-c2d-2-a/

does migration assistant really transfer ALL your apps and settings?
Will there be problems with permissions or anything?

P
Jul 6, 2007, 10:33 AM

The migration assistant transfers exactly what you tell it to transfer. Works best if you transfer just your settings, copy your files manually from the Finder and reinstalling all your apps on the new machine.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2007, 02:06 PM

im on a 2.16 CD MBP and my 2.44 C2D MBP is coming in a few weeks.

will Migration Assistant be able to grab all of my files, settings, and apps, or do you think there will be hang-ups? Otherwise, I'll do it the old fashioned way through "T Boot" and a firewire cable.
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

desertmac
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 02:11 PM

I used Migration assistant to go from a 2.33 to a 2.4 with no problems.

The problem for me has been trying to use a Firewire Drive that has a bootable system from my 2.4 to boot the 2.3. When I try that, I get a kernel panic.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

jtrwallace
Jul 6, 2007, 05:21 PM

the only catch with migration assistant is that you have to press change all whenever a program is accessing keychain or something. Otherwise, no problems. It just tells you its the first time you've opened a program. Also, if you use Unsanity haxies, youll have to reinstall the APE... other than that no problems. All settings, all apps, all plists. OH, one other thing, you have to reinstall Little Snitch if you use it. But those are the only problems I've encountered.

Forum Links
Forum Rules