Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safe Mode questions

Safe Mode questions
paul55555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2012, 02:43 PM

Is Safe Mode start-up actually safe. Via the following I generally understand what occurs during safe mode: Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? What is confusing is the following: "...certain Mac OS X features do not work in Safe Mode. For example, you can't use DVD Player, capture video in iMovie, use audio input or output devices, or use an internal or external USB modem. The behavior of some devices such as wireless networking may vary depending on computer and Mac OS X version. Safe Mode in Mac OS X v10.5 or later also disables Quartz Extreme and file sharing access."

I am especially concerned that wireless capabilities may be adversely affected.

Do I shut down after safe mode has finished and restart normally? If so, will the above disabled functions be available?

I appreciate your patience-Paul

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2012, 03:53 PM

Safe Mode does disable quite a few functionalities of the OS, on purpose. The idea is to have a minimal system in order to troubleshoot problems. Yes, once done you have to restart to re-enable all those items and return to full functionality, so not to worry, all is normal.

paul55555  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2012, 04:25 PM

That was quick and very much to the point. Many thanks indeed.

Paul

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 4, 2012, 06:53 AM

Yes, it is safe. As noted, it starts a "minimal" system because it's supposed to be used to find and fix problems. Safe Mode must be selected at boot time, and is never the default mode.

What causes you to be interested in Safe Mode? A problem currently, or "just in case?"

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules