Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > One Week until MWSF... surprises?

One Week until MWSF... surprises?
LightWaver-67
Senior User
Jan 4, 2005, 08:37 AM

So... all NDA's aside... anyone have any clues as to any (if any) changes that might be made to Tiger that differ greatly from the last preview Steve gave us...? Or do you think it's gonna prety much be the exact same feature set � only now ready for prime-time...?

I'm not remembering any additional "surprises" in the previous releases... so my guess is "no"... but I'm still curious. As a matter of fact, there have been times that features have been DROPPED late in the game. Everyone remember the "Package Tracking" tab that was supposed to be in Sherlock...? It was actually printed on-the-box, but pulled from Panther at the last minute.

Steve has spoiled some of us... some of us think that he keeps 'some' things under wraps for the presentation value: "...but there IS one more thing..." � and spills the whole truth upon release. Traditionally, I don't recall many (if any) last-minute additions to OS features though. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Any dirt, anyone...?

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 09:43 AM

I just can't wait for Tiger... I'm not looking for surprises just mo better snappy... which really should not be "surprising" to anybody at this point... yet expected..

I don't know... the headless mac for 500 sounds interesting... Alex?

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 10:36 AM

I think the surprises this year will not be in the OS itself, but rather in new software and hardware releases.

Rumors so far:
-Asteroid (considering Apple's suit, this is ~100%)
-iWork/Document (update to Appleworks or new creation software - between the Think Secret article and the fact that the maker of the iWork application changed it's name to iBiz yesterday)
-iLife '05 (possibly with new component)
-wMac (for "workstation" mac, or headless iMac, whatever you want to call it)
-Powerbook (mere bumps, not G5)
-iPod speakers?
-iPod mini capacity bump
-iPod tiny (flash-based)

what else am I missing?
cpac

mishap
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 12:31 PM

are there not already two threads discussing this in the Lounge alone?

No! we need a new one every day

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
are there not already two threads discussing this in the Lounge alone?

No! we need a new one every day
The thread starter is one post away from 666... my guess is he's demented.

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2005, 01:47 PM

well...

(A) I didn't realize this was a "lounge" topic. My question was specific to OSX and it's upcoming release. I frequent mainley TWO forums on this board. OSX anf PowerMac. It is very rare I look into any other forums, so I have NO IDEA that there are lots of other topics started. It's about OSX so I look here first.

(B) I didn't realize I was about to become a Satanic poster - I may have to stop at 666 and just create a new user!

Anyhow, sorry if I'm just the billionth person to ask about Tiger features. There didn't seem to be any threads in here that specifically talked about 'unanounced' featurs that may surface next week.

peace...

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 03:52 PM

I am always hopeful that the next OS will have a NEW Dock but it seems to be the same thing as 10.1 for the most part.

At any rate I would sell my own mother for an Apple iPhone with a gig of memory for itunes.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 04:18 PM

I want an answer to the Windows Media PC hunk of crap that everyone sells.

I want a headless iMac with gigabit ethernet and 802.11g that goes in the living room so I can listen to iTunes, and watch movies/view photos.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:

I want a headless iMac with gigabit ethernet and 802.11g that goes in the living room so I can listen to iTunes, and watch movies/view photos.
That's really the only thing left isn't it? (Except of course selling my mom for a iPhone... Hell I heard she was a trick anyway)

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
I want an answer to the Windows Media PC hunk of crap that everyone sells.

Why do you need gigabit ethernet to watch movies and play MP3's?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2005, 09:04 AM

Because "Giga" is cooler than "Mega". Mega is so 90's.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

ReefHobbyist
Jan 5, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I am always hopeful that the next OS will have a NEW Dock but it seems to be the same thing as 10.1 for the most part.

At any rate I would sell my own mother for an Apple iPhone with a gig of memory for itunes.
Get your eBay account ready, it may not be Apple but Motorola has partnered with Apple to create a phone with iTunes integration including ITMS music playback. I don't know what the storage size will be.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004...6motorola.html

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 05:52 PM

There are ALWAY surprises at MacWorld. This time of year I'm like a kid waiting for the toy store to open to see what new toys they have.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2005, 10:40 PM

I'm just hanging out for the the release of Tiger. I hope it won't be too long a wait this year. Getiing a whole new OS is like getting a new Mac.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2005, 11:59 PM

I, too, am sure there will be surprises at MWSF... there's ALWAYS some kind of surprise or multiple surprises... I was asking specifically about Tiger features that have NOT been publicly announced by Apple... but may be sneaking their way in just before release.

My guess is no... but I'm just digging for dirt.

The only "news" I predict we'll hear about Tiger is most-likely a release-date.

that is... unless someone here can proove me wrong.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2005, 12:51 AM

I can't wait until there is a release date for Tiger. Can't wait!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 01:02 AM

You could always get it now for $500 in the developer's package...

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2005, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
You could always get it now for $500 in the developer's package...
er No thanks
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I don't think they are going to change it ever, the New one will have aditional functions like "add to startup items" etc, but no big changes.

I could list 30 improvements they should make.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
I don't think they are going to change it ever, the New one will have aditional functions like "add to startup items" etc, but no big changes.

I could list 30 improvements they should make.
At the very least, they should also add spring-loaded Dock menus: this would be consistent with basic Finder behaviour, too.

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by Sven G:
At the very least, they should also add spring-loaded Dock menus: this would be consistent with basic Finder behaviour, too.
That's number 3 on my list.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
That's number 3 on my list.
... And what's number 2? It would be cool to see the whole list: maybe at least some of the items will come true in Tiger - who knows...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 12:13 PM

I hope we'll finally see Safari 1.3

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 03:51 PM

Although Mac OS X is clearly the most secure widely-used commercial operating system out-of-the-box on the planet, I would like to see Apple make it even stronger.

As more Wintel switchers begin to use OS X on the Mac, I want their experience to be as good as the users who have been using OS X since inception.

I believe Apple could do this by incorporating more OpenBSD features in the underlying Unix implementation. Apple is clearly a genius company at interface ease-of-use. Let's see even more. Very strong security -- invisible and painless for ordinary users.
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by mcsjgs:
I believe Apple could do this by incorporating more OpenBSD features in the underlying Unix implementation. Apple is clearly a genius company at interface ease-of-use. Let's see even more. Very strong security -- invisible and painless for ordinary users.
um - like what specifically?

we've got encrypted home folders if we want them, a good set of defaults, and an easy to use firewall...
cpac

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
um - like what specifically?

we've got encrypted home folders if we want them, a good set of defaults, and an easy to use firewall...
One thing I like about OpenBSD is direct support of hardware encryption devices. It would be very neat if Apple would BTO these boards from 2-3 manufacturers so that all data could be encrypted as it is generated. Harder to mess with from the net as well.

I'm not saying Apple should be supplying NSA all its computers, but a systematic approach to increasing security is a good thing in an OS IMHO. OpenBSD seems to take this as their purpose for existence and they have the results to prove it works.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by mcsjgs:
One thing I like about OpenBSD is direct support of hardware encryption devices. It would be very neat if Apple would BTO these boards from 2-3 manufacturers so that all data could be encrypted as it is generated. Harder to mess with from the net as well.

I'm not saying Apple should be supplying NSA all its computers, but a systematic approach to increasing security is a good thing in an OS IMHO. OpenBSD seems to take this as their purpose for existence and they have the results to prove it works.
Ok - well I can't see hardware encryption really being a commercially viable step for Apple to take (how many people would actually pay for that?)

Is there anything more, reasonable and/or useful for the average user that you see implemented in OpenBSD, but not available in OS X?
cpac

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Ok - well I can't see hardware encryption really being a commercially viable step for Apple to take (how many people would actually pay for that?)

Is there anything more, reasonable and/or useful for the average user that you see implemented in OpenBSD, but not available in OS X?
Probably the same number of people who buy the boards, from SOHOs to medium size companies, I would imagine. It would not be difficult or expensive to implement in the OS, I don't think.

Some things that come immediately to mind are some sort of simple GUI that would let ordinary users access more of the power of BSD in the utility area, a much improved way of handling permissions and maintenance (both of these are not specific to OpenBSD and could be done in Tiger). A background built-in IDS in the OS with basic rule configuration?

I'll edit the post if other specific functions or applications in OpenBSD catch my eye. I'm trying to digest a lot of new material now. What I am imagining is a sort of 2 way software firewall that does not allow direct access to Unix command line (not user restrictions). The concept is just that. A restriction like that could be lifted, obviously.

Forum Links
Forum Rules