Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Max RAM in Powermac G5

Max RAM in Powermac G5
oni
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2008, 04:45 AM

Hi all,

I have been searching for an answer for this for a while but cant find anything definitive.

Does anyone know if 2GB DDR400 modules will work in a Dual 1.8GHz 4 memory slot machine?

Apple only mentions 1GB DIMMs but I assume that is because you couldn't get 2GB ones at that point. Does anyone have one of these machines that they have put 2GB DIMMs in?

Cheers for any replys

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 04:52 AM

I don't know for sure, but your reasoning for why it should work is sound - Apple's documentation only refers to maximum modules currently in production at the time the computer is being produced. If you look around online you'll see references to other G5 owners using 2GB modules. There should be no reason for it not to work.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

oni  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2008, 04:40 PM

hmmm I did have a decent look around and couldn't find any references to people using 2GB DIMMs, do you have any links?

I'm reluctant to drop 300 bucks on 4GB of RAM only to find it isn't recognised!

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 05:52 PM

Mac Traker says 8GB max on this machine. 2GB in each slot.

oni  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2008, 06:53 PM

Hmmm does it? I just downloaded it and it repeats apples response of only 4GB max, where abouts are you getting that from?

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by oni View Post
Hmmm does it? I just downloaded it and it repeats apples response of only 4GB max, where abouts are you getting that from?
Ah sorry, I mis read that. Almost all the G5's support 8GB. I missed that the 1.8 dual drops down to 4GB for some reason. Even the 1.8 single will take 8GB.

Sorry 'bout that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules