Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook That Looks Like New?

Macbook That Looks Like New?
Cullen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 06:48 PM

Alright. I have a slight problem with my possessions. Especially the ones that cost over $1,000. (I have an issue where I want all my stuff to look exactly new. Like, with my cell phone, I have left on the original plastic plus a cover. I can't allow my stuff to be scratched. It drives me absolutely insane..) But here's my problem..

..I am planning on buying a Macbook in October when Leopard comes out. Although, I don't really know what Leopard is, (I have used PCs all my life) I want the newest update. (Also, I am extremely careful with laptops. I will not abuse it or anything.)

But before I buy, I need some information..

..How easily does the Macbook scratch?
..Do the keys wear off after a year or two?
..Since it will be white, do large gray spots appear from your hands and/or wrists?
..Do Incases work?
..Will it last be 4+ years?

Okay, I know it's a lot. But I want my investment to be worthwhile.

Please help!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cullen View Post
Alright. I have a slight problem with my possessions. Especially the ones that cost over $1,000. (I have an issue where I want all my stuff to look exactly new. Like, with my cell phone, I have left on the original plastic plus a cover. I can't allow my stuff to be scratched. It drives me absolutely insane..) But here's my problem..

..I am planning on buying a Macbook in October when Leopard comes out. Although, I don't really know what Leopard is, (I have used PCs all my life) I want the newest update. (Also, I am extremely careful with laptops. I will not abuse it or anything.)

But before I buy, I need some information..

..How easily does the Macbook scratch?
..Do the keys wear off after a year or two?
..Since it will be white, do large gray spots appear from your hands and/or wrists?
..Do Incases work?
..Will it last be 4+ years?

Okay, I know it's a lot. But I want my investment to be worthwhile.

Please help!
1. Easily.
2. What does that mean?
3. No.
4. Yes.
5. Yes, but technology moves fast a current MacBook will be pretty old 4 years from now.
Signature depreciated.

misecia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 08:19 PM

1. as long as you're careful and don't drop it it should be fine.
2. if you mean if the letter rub off, then no they don't. but as the macbook range is less than 2 years old its hard to tell atm.
3. not really, the odd smudge but you can wipe that off or have clean hands the trackpad may dull if you use it constantly, just use a mouse to over come this.
4. definitely.
5. yes. i have an iBook from 2001 that still works great and runs Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4)

Leopard is Mac OS X 10.5

Get a can of compressed air, for your keyboard to blow out any dust or particles that may get under the keys. That should help it stay like new

hope this helps and hope you enjoy your new mac

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2007, 09:57 AM

About the MacBook getting scratched, there are plenty of accessories that you can get to prevent this. Some of my friends who own a MacBook have gotten a Speck SeeThru Hard Shell Case. Also, you could get the invisibleSHIELD Full Body Shield.

If you are as meticulous as you say you are, you can combine both of these products to get a better result, since the invisibleSHIELD is going to keep your palm rest + trackpad clean.

One last thing, for the keyboard there is zCover TypeOn Keyboard Skin.

Hope this helps,
Hg

Smillz
Sep 23, 2007, 04:24 PM

For scratches, you could get a gelaskin

GelaSkins | Protection with Style, not Bulk

iColby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 01:21 PM

You do get oily marks by the track pad. I have one right now, the newest line of the white macbook and they do appear. I was told Apple did something to help protect this from happening, with their newer models (one i purchased) but I have them right now. It isn't so bad like the ones before, but it's here.

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 02:06 PM

I'd say don't get a black one

I got mine in February this year and it looks older than my 2 year old PowerBook. I don't think that the MacBook is a badly built computer by any stretch but the matt-black finish is not rubberised like a ThinkPad and so whilst it resists scratches pretty well it definitely shows marks from finger oils in quite a pronounced way.

The trackpad has worn VERY quickly to a smooth shiny finish in the centre (shiny enough to reflect my finger like a mirror) and this, along with the key caps wearing to a very shiny finish, drives me beserk (I am also a bit anal about my stuff). I don't know enough about materials to know whether this is bad design, poor choice of materials or just the way that the world works. I feel though that a £1,000 computer should still look as new after only a few months... for me the benchmark for durability remains the ThinkPad, the bloody thing just would not die and after a minor "valet" still looked like new... the closest thing to the ThinkPad was the PowerBook G3 Pismo... again, very robust and durable when treated respectfully.

This black MacBook seems to be bearing up OK to daily travel and respectful use, I *am* really really fussy about my stuff and to recap the following bugs me, but would not automatically bug a "normal" person:

1) Shiny keys
2) Shiny trackpad
3) Glossy screen is a dirt magnet
4) Matt black finish shows every mark including dust and finger grease like you would not believe

I still rate it highly as a computer though, and I love the MacBook keyboard. If it was illuminated it'd be perfect. The PowerBook/MacBook Pro keyboard feels to squashy in comparison.

YMMV

Forum Links
Forum Rules