Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > For those with the new Powerbook 15in....

For those with the new Powerbook 15in....
tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2005, 12:52 AM

Hey,
My powerbook G4 1.5ghz's (not the new ones) backlit keyboard went bad and the Apple Store is replacing the keyboard. On the sheet, they wrote the new Keyboard (backlit) part number that they are going to replace. I hope they replace it with the new ones, Apple says they are "brighter".

Those with the new powerbooks, what is the part number for your Backlit keyboard? (part number is shown in the Apple order status page) I tried to search, but couldn't find any results...

Since im posting, could you please tell me what kind of hard drive and super drive is in your powerbook too please? (Model in Apple System Profiler)
(that I saw in some other posts, just want all the info I need in one page )

Thanks again everyone
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 01:06 AM

I have a new one on order, this should be what you want:

Keyboard/Mac OS Language X065-5290 BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS-X

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by PurpleGiant:
I have a new one on order, this should be what you want:

Keyboard/Mac OS Language X065-5290 BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS-X

Personally, this is the one thing that I don't like about the PowerBooks... If you're typing, then your hands are blocking the keys anyway, and it just makes the screen look dimmer. I'm glad you can turn it off.

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2005, 11:24 AM

thanks for your replies! Well, looks like they are replacing it with the same keyboard, not the new ones.. (922-6105)
Well darn
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 02:24 AM

Nice try... however the keyboard is not backlit at all...the fiber optic lights are in the top case. So, unless they are replacing your top case you are outta luck. ;-)

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 08:45 AM

Ummm... Are the backlit lights in the top case? I thought only the sensor was, and the keyboard had the lights, the last time I read the service manual.
Anyways, they didn't have the keybaord in stock, so they are sending it in to get it repalced, plus fix those stupid popping hinges... Hope it all goes well!

Forum Links
Forum Rules