Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PCI Video Card for G5 w/ S-Video out?

PCI Video Card for G5 w/ S-Video out?
turk.o
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 01:19 AM

I've done as search for this, but i can't find anything, so I hope someone reading this has some knowledge to drop on me. I have a 2x2Ghz G5 and have a Radeon 9800 AGP 256MB running to 1600x1200 crt monitors in spanning mode. i am starting to do work on dvd authoring, and i really need to get an S-Video out so i can monitor this stuff in real time in its final medium.

it seems like my best solution is to get a PCI video card with an S-video out but the only one i can find anywhere is the Radeon 9200 with 128MB of ram for $120. this is totally overkill as i really only need it to drive a tv display and the 128MB of ram and $120 is way too much. are there any other pci video cards that are compatible with my G5 that hav S-video out? older card are fine here, as long as they work with a G5. please help!!!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 29, 2005, 09:29 AM

Final Cut and iMovie both support using a FireWire DV bridge (or a PCI capture card) as a preview output, and in fact, that's the only way to get color- and gamma-accurate video output.

I don't know if iDVD or DVDSP can do that or not.

tooki

turk.o  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Final Cut and iMovie both support using a FireWire DV bridge (or a PCI capture card) as a preview output, and in fact, that's the only way to get color- and gamma-accurate video output.

I don't know if iDVD or DVDSP can do that or not.

tooki

yes, and motion also supports the firewire bridge, the problem is i don't actually have a camcorder to use for this (i don't shoot the films, i just do the authoring). you mentioned that A PCI capture card might support video out, do you have any suggestions?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 29, 2005, 12:25 PM

You don't need a camcorder, just buy a FireWire DV bridge. It's a little box with a FireWire port and AV inputs/outputs.

tooki

turk.o  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
You don't need a camcorder, just buy a FireWire DV bridge. It's a little box with a FireWire port and AV inputs/outputs.

tooki

thanks for another quick reply, this is what i love about these forums. I looked at some DV bridges and there are still pretty expensive, IMHO for what you get, $175-$200. I could still get the radeon pci card for $129. i was hoping there would be an old pci card that would work in my G5 and have video out that i could pick up used, or something. my problem is that i can just copy the DV streams to my power book and test on its s-video out, but it is kind of a pain, but the fact that i don't NEED something else is making it hard to spend a lot of money.

thanks for your help

t.o

hpence
Jun 29, 2005, 05:27 PM

I thought I posted in this thread yesterday? Did my post disappear, or am i losing it?

anyways - if you want to go the cheap route, pick up a PCI radeon 7000 from a place like www.newegg.com (30-40$) and flash it over with the mac rom. I have 2 of them in my G5 - 1 that i actually use, the other i threw in there just 'casue i could (i can now run up to 6 monitors ). You will need access to another machine (pc or mac) for flashing though.
UltraCube: 1.4ghz - Radeon9800pro - 1.2
GB ram - 120gb/8mb HD - 24x Combo Drive
--- all running off an external 400watt MDD
power supply.
20" Apple Aluminum LCD (sweet)

turk.o  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by hpence
I thought I posted in this thread yesterday? Did my post disappear, or am i losing it?

anyways - if you want to go the cheap route, pick up a PCI radeon 7000 from a place like www.newegg.com (30-40$) and flash it over with the mac rom. I have 2 of them in my G5 - 1 that i actually use, the other i threw in there just 'casue i could (i can now run up to 6 monitors ). You will need access to another machine (pc or mac) for flashing though.
great! this is exactly what i was looking for. can you point me to a good site with ROM flashing instructions? I have a PC and another Mac i could use to do it. thanks so much! (you don't want to sell your extra, do you?

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 12:00 PM

Six monitors? Wow.

hpence
Jun 30, 2005, 04:32 PM

Id actually sell you my extra for like 10$, but its kinda flakey and artifacts even when underclocked. Im using its an experimental project of mine in editing roms and soldering on new eeproms. Im not done with it... yet, and when i will be it will likely be very dead

The strangedogs forums are all about graphics card flashing. There is a pretty good beginner's guild to stuff here: http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/i...ead=1111556315 . Read through that, pick a suitable 7000 (both of mine are 64mb sapphire 7000s, one is absolutely flawless, the other a little flakey, but still works) and give it a go. If you run into a speedbump somewhere along the lines, feel free to ask a question.
UltraCube: 1.4ghz - Radeon9800pro - 1.2
GB ram - 120gb/8mb HD - 24x Combo Drive
--- all running off an external 400watt MDD
power supply.
20" Apple Aluminum LCD (sweet)

Forum Links
Forum Rules