Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upgrading OS X with an install disc

Upgrading OS X with an install disc
stoo storm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 03:18 PM

Hello,

My friend recently bought an ibook which included the panther install disc. I use an imac G4 17inch jobby and I am currently using OS X 10.2.8 and I want to upgrade using his discs.

Now I tried just putting the disc in and clicking install OS X etc. I restarted as button asks then I got sent through to the install menu, all good. Then it searchs for programs and tells me "you cannot install this program on this computer" I try and close that and it leaves me in a blue screen of death with the most annoying loading icon left in the centre, a small circle with a bar going round and round, exact same as in the booting of OS X when your computer is switched on. :-) nice.

Can anyone suggest how i can easily upgrade using my friend's disc? I know i can uninstall and re-install backign all my files but i have a LOT of things that need backing and no funds to buy CD's and external memory. it's sad. I need expose plus the other wondeful new functions!! Thank you.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 08:09 PM

this comes up in these forums just about every week.

you are *not* entitled to use his disks to upgrade your computer. os x is a *single computer* license. if you want 10.3 go buy a legitimate copy. asking for assistance with piracy is against board rules.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
you are *not* entitled to use his disks to upgrade your computer...

on a completely minor point, the round things that you use to store data are discs, not disks.

-r.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
on a completely minor point, the round things that you use to store data are discs, not disks.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=disc
disc n.& v.
Variant of disk.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2005, 10:28 PM

Either is correct. "Disc" is actually a contraction of "Compact Disc", which is the brand name of the CDDA standard. It's stuck as a popular term, rather like "Band-Aid" and "Kleenex" have; these are brand names that people tend to use in a much more generic fashion than the creators would probably have liked.

In any case, "disc" is only correct for CDs and DVDs. Hard disks, floppy disks, and such are always spelled with a k.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 4, 2005, 11:44 PM

"Disc" is not a shortening of Compact Disc.

There is tons prior evidence of "disc", such as in the long-obsolete Capacitance Electronic Disc (CED), MCA Discovision (which evolved into the LaserDisc standard), all of which predate the release of the Compact Disc. (Note that CED is not optical.) Phonograph records were also called discs, as in "disc jockey" (not "disk jockey"). Those predate the CD by many decades, obviously.

But it is established in modern usage that optical media are spelled "disc", while magnetic media are spelled "disk".

tooki

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
But it is established in modern usage that optical media are spelled "disc", while magnetic media are spelled "disk".
and it's based solely on the visible shape of the media. round media are discs while other media are disks, even if there is a round disc inside the plastic or metal case.

-r.

stoo storm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 08:09 AM

well what can I say,

you guys are awesome! Is Mr Blur like apple's paid monkey to cruise forums to find out all those kids that cannot afford such wonders for his macintosh, someone who fully supports apple products yet just can't get cash to obtain a copy!

Hey, i have an idea! why don't you buy me copy?????? NICE ONE! PM and i'll send you my address so you can send it to me.

Next point, my friend hasn't used the discs. Apple loaded OS X on before he even got them. Unless these DISCS/DISKS (that one was for you guys) can only b used once and then get wiped sort of thing. Mr Blur can you ellaborate on this maybe??

ahhhh if only i knew everything about mac's and had all the money in the world then i'd be ale to post intelligent comments, instead I think I've got a life.

Thank you very much, your comments have been most entertaining, you guys are offcially the best computer people in the world! Pointless words, it's a ****ing disc/disk nonetheless! besides my point of the thread. I should of posted something liek tsunami in asia enjoy these pictures then you'd probably start talking about the possibilities of the new icube. GREAT!

Thanks xx

paully dub
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by stoo storm:
well what can I say,

you guys are awesome! Is Mr Blur like apple's paid monkey to cruise forums to find out all those kids that cannot afford such wonders for his macintosh, someone who fully supports apple products yet just can't get cash to obtain a copy!

Hey, i have an idea! why don't you buy me copy?????? NICE ONE! PM and i'll send you my address so you can send it to me.

Next point, my friend hasn't used the discs. Apple loaded OS X on before he even got them. Unless these DISCS/DISKS (that one was for you guys) can only b used once and then get wiped sort of thing. Mr Blur can you ellaborate on this maybe??

ahhhh if only i knew everything about mac's and had all the money in the world then i'd be ale to post intelligent comments, instead I think I've got a life.

Thank you very much, your comments have been most entertaining, you guys are offcially the best computer people in the world! Pointless words, it's a ****ing disc/disk nonetheless! besides my point of the thread. I should of posted something liek tsunami in asia enjoy these pictures then you'd probably start talking about the possibilities of the new icube. GREAT!

Thanks xx
Look, like it or not you're going to have to pay for Panther or find it illegally elsewhere. I paid, does that make me Apple's paid monkey too? If you don't like the fact that we're not going to help you find a way around this pickle, tough. The disks that came with your friend's computer can be used by said person to reinstall, archive and install or perform other tasks like boot from the install cd if his OS is wigging out.

You can check ebay for a cheaper version of the OS, but Panther is NOT an expensive OS. If you want free there's loads of really good Linux distributions. Embrace the open source community.

Please don't insult those of us who chose to buy what we thought was a quality product from a company we like. Are you going to ask us where we can get you a free powerbook as well?

Adopt-A-Yankee

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 12:37 PM

stoo storm -- The point remains that you're asking how to pirate software, which is against board rules... sorry.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2005, 12:38 PM

Irrelevant. You do not "need" any of the features in Panther; it will not kill you to continue to run 10.2.8 while you save up to buy a copy of Panther. By the time you're done saving, it's entirely possible that Tiger might be out, in which case you would save yourself the trouble of installing an OS that you would only run for a short time.
Irrelevant. Although your friend has not used the discs, he has only one license, namely to use the copy on his iBook. The discs are provided as backups. If he gives the iBook to someone, he needs to either give that person the discs as well or destroy them. The reverse is true; if he gives you the discs he must either also give you the iBook or destroy it. I doubt your friend is going to be terribly interested in destroying his iBook.
Money doesn't let you post intelligent comments; a brain does.

By the way, I don't actually know why the discs don't work on your machine. When my PMG5 died and I'd lost the install discs, I purchased another set from Other World Computing, and they happened to have come from an iBook G4 much like the one your friend has. The install, however, went just fine.

Actually selling OEM discs is something of a gray area legally, but if this was legitimate then the whole thing was, since I did not install on machines for which I already had a license If the purchase weren't legal, then I would essentially be trafficking in stolen goods even though I wasn't actually pirating the software.

If your iMac were newer then his iBook then it would explain why that OSX version wouldn't install, but if that were the case then it would have already come with Panther, and you'd never have had this issue in the first place.

The blue screen, by the way, is normal; it happens when the machine is shutting down or restarting. Give it long enough, and it will reboot.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 07:51 PM

Hello,

My friend recently bought an ibook which included the panther install disc. I use an imac G4 17inch jobby and I am currently using OS X 10.2.8 and I want to upgrade using his discs.

Now I tried just putting the disc in and clicking install OS X etc. I restarted as button asks then I got sent through to the install menu, all good. Then it searchs for programs and tells me "you cannot install this program on this computer" I try and close that and it leaves me in a blue screen of death with the most annoying loading icon left in the centre, a small circle with a bar going round and round, exact same as in the booting of OS X when your computer is switched on. :-) nice.

Can anyone suggest how i can easily upgrade using my friend's disc? I know i can uninstall and re-install backign all my files but i have a LOT of things that need backing and no funds to buy CD's and external memory. it's sad. I need expose plus the other wondeful new functions!! Thank you.

The reason you can't use these install CDs, is because most PB come with a installer for that model. Store bought versions are generic.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2005, 08:27 PM

Is Mr Blur like apple's paid monkey to cruise forums to find out all those kids that cannot afford such wonders for his macintosh, someone who fully supports apple products yet just can't get cash to obtain a copy!
If you aren't willing to pay for them, how are you "fully supporting" them? Your gratitude isn't going to put food on the OS team's table.

And unless you're so young that you should really be asking your parents, you certainly can get cash to obtain a copy. I managed to get almost $100 a month just from mowing lawns and other odd jobs when I was little �_that's more than enough for Panther, and I was like freakin' 8 years old.

Yes, because having lots of money and knowledge aren't the result of having a life; apparently the result is sitting around on forums complaining about how you can't get the software you want.

Seriously, if you don't care enough to pay a measly $70, you obviously don't care enough that anyone here would be willing to help you pirate it even if we were allowed to do so.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

stoo storm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 09:17 PM

I apologise for my last message, i wrote it first thing this morning and didn't appreciate the messages left from a simple question. I first had Mr Blur say blah blah in a negative attitude when he could have been much beter about it, then to have some random people go off on one about disc and disks... no need for me to post all that crap and vice versa

Thanks for clearing up why the discs don't work even if we did take the negative approach to it.

ChuckIt - if you would care to note that it was my 2nd post ever on this message board. I asked a friend where he finds a lot of information about apple products and suggested to post my question on here. Also i'd love to care about paying �100 but if that money isn't in my bank and it's not possible for me to work for money these things are difficult. Therefore the reason why i posted in the first place.
I fully support them by recommending their products to many people I meet aswell as discussing with my peers the advantages of apple, in relation to my work.

After checking out apple's site I certainly agree that it would be a good idea just to save and upgrade to tiger when it is released.

Paully dub - where can i get a free powerbook from? I did not mean to insult you for buying from apple, but is apple actually a good company? where are these products made? do apple make them or do they own the logo buying cheap from a 3rd world country? (This is not me ranting but actually asking a question - typed messages on a screen will always appear negative because there is a lack of facial expression) in simple - are you aware of where our products come from, i am not.

romeosc - thank you for posting a message with relevance.

I wasn't aware that using another persons discs was illegal i apologise for my lack of knowledge.

cybergoober - i appriciate your words, it was my first post and i did not read the board rules correctly, sorry.

WELCOME TO LITTLE AMERICA, please drive carefully.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 12:31 AM

Also i'd love to care about paying �100 but if that money isn't in my bank and it's not possible for me to work for money these things are difficult
If it's not possible for you to work for money, it makes me wonder where the 17" iMac, electricty to run it and an internet connection to post on these boards comes from.

That source can't cough up another $70USD for Panther? Maybe somebody's retired, past generation donated PC and a linux distrubition is more in your budget.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2005, 07:31 AM

Maybe the Mac was brought for him as a present a few years back, and he is at university in halls where internet and electricity is free?

Just an idea...

stoo storm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2005, 07:50 AM

C.J. Moof - well obviously not because i own one. Your obviously far to elitist to except an apology.

oh and by the way, I live in the UK! (i stated in my first post) $70 is about �37.41 which agreed I could afford that. but wait no apple UK have to double prices because it's fun! so we pay �100 which equates to about $187.11USD.

Now to an actual question that I can only ask for a good answer to:
Is it possible for me to buy panther from the US without getting custom chraged at the ports? and would it be compatible etc.

Relevant comments appreciated, thank you.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by PlacidTubs:
Maybe the Mac was brought for him as a present a few years back, and he is at university in halls where internet and electricity is free?

Just an idea...
Maybe he should get a summer job then?

leperkuhn
Senior User
Jan 6, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
If it's not possible for you to work for money, it makes me wonder where the 17" iMac, electricty to run it and an internet connection to post on these boards comes from.

That source can't cough up another $70USD for Panther? Maybe somebody's retired, past generation donated PC and a linux distrubition is more in your budget.
It really is not necessary to be a complete *********. Give the guy a break, you could have originally answered his question with "it won't install because those disks are specific to that powerbook" but instead you choose to make this a moral issue.

Just because someone owns a computer doesn't mean they have more money to spend on it. He may have an apple loan, or a college loan. He may prioritize food, shelter, or anything else ahead of buying a copy of 10.3.

stoo storm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2005, 11:49 AM

leperkuhn - THANK YOU

I do have a summer job...

IT'S WINTER.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 12:26 PM

leperkuhn - THANK YOU

I do have a summer job...

IT'S WINTER.
Learn to manage your finances. Get a weekend job. Beg/borrow off parents for Christmas.

There's even a student discount on OS X. Panther is �69.33 with Free Shipping.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
It really is not necessary to be a complete *********. Give the guy a break, you could have originally answered his question with "it won't install because those disks are specific to that powerbook" but instead you choose to make this a moral issue.

Just because someone owns a computer doesn't mean they have more money to spend on it. He may have an apple loan, or a college loan. He may prioritize food, shelter, or anything else ahead of buying a copy of 10.3.
That question had been answered. I just find it weird that someone has a newer desktop than I do, but can't work for money or afford an OS. To me, that implies there ought to be a long list of financial concerns before an optional OS update, such as the suggested food, shelter and anything else. Sorry if I came off as a jerk, but it just seems odd to me. In review, I guess that could have been read as implying theft or something, which wasn't my intent.

Anyway, here's my olive branch:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...em=APL6034842A
Maybe they ship internationally? I have no idea what customs would or wouldn't do with it.... I guess it's that VAT thing that screws you guys?

But your best value is probably to wait a bit longer for Tiger.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

stoo storm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2005, 03:47 PM

Cheers Moof. As you have suggested i have other finnacial concerns, I just wanted the opportunity to use panther. I'll wait for tiger when it will be worth the pennies! My parents bought my mac for my 18th birthday. otherwise I wouldn't have it.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2005, 07:55 PM

For future reference, we cannot knowingly aid you in pirating software or the like. Simply saying something to the effect of "I bought a set of Panther discs off of eBay and need help..." or "I have a set of Panther discs that I want to use but I..." would have been good since we could have helped you without knowing you were pirating anything. Sure, it might be an unethical thing for you to do in that you would be lying to us, but it'd help you get all the information you needed. Telling us that you're pirating the software (which quite a few other board members have done with a piece of software/shareware at some point, I might add) basically forces us into not being able to help you out.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2005, 08:15 PM

And just because you started a topic doesn't mean you own it. People will go off on tangents about the names of various media if they feel like it. Whining about it and insulting people (particularly the people you're asking for help) won't make you more popular.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2005, 08:24 PM

Now to an actual question that I can only ask for a good answer to:
Is it possible for me to buy panther from the US without getting custom chraged at the ports?
That question is best asked of your local Customs office. Normally - at least here in Canada - packages not worth too much slide through without taxes applied. However if you buy something from a legitimate retailer they can get into trouble if they put a false value on the documentation with the package (that does not mean that all retailers do declare the true value....). Of course an individual can get in trouble for doing that too but they don't have a business license to lose. So, you are more likely to get something through without having the taxes/VAT applied if it is from an individual and packaged as such....I think just everywhere they watch commercial packages a little closer than personal ones.

But I agree with Moof too - at this point you are probably better off waiting for 10.4, especially if your finances are a little tight....unless of course you find a really cheap copy of 10.3.

Oh, and since I seem to have started this whole thing - I am sorry that you took it harder than it was meant. It is just that this subject comes up very very frequently and it sometimes get frustrating for those that have been here a while to see the same issue arise all the time when a quick search or reading of the faq would have answered your question(s). Don't let it get to ya.....I was a newbie once too and no doubt have stepped on a few toes in my time around here!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
That question is best asked of your local Customs office. Normally - at least here in Canada - packages not worth too much slide through without taxes applied.
It has to be a gift of value < �100 or something really small for it to fall within the allowed value here, I think. Otherwise it's 21% Import Duty all the way!

It's on the HM Customs and Excise website somewhere.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 12:33 AM

Mail Original CDs home after installing on PB. Also make a disk image and keep on hard drive. Burn a CD. It's illegal, but odds are 10000 to one that they will catch you.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 7, 2005, 02:16 AM

and it's based solely on the visible shape of the media. round media are discs while other media are disks, even if there is a round disc inside the plastic or metal case.
That's not true at all.

Early hard disks had removable platters, and they were in round cartridges the size of a large cake. Hard disks have always been spelled with a K. Early DVD-RAM discs were inside square plastic cartridges, and have always been spelled with a C. MiniDiscs (which are read entirely optically) are also in square cartridges, and have also always been spelled with C.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk and http://www.bartleby.com/61/16/C0521600.html (the latter of which has the primary entry spelled wrong, since "Compact Disc" is a trademark, so there is only one correct spelling).

In modern computer usage, it has solely to do with optical vs. magnetic.

Phonograph records, optical audio discs, and video discs are always "disc".

tooki

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 06:51 AM

Someone call the waaambulance for this kid...

If you can't afford Panther then don't use it. 10.2.8 perfectly suits your needs.

stoo storm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 09:31 AM

exactly what I going to do alphasubzero949!!

Does the waambulance come with panther though? hahaha hey i'm just kidding guys!

Yeah cool stuff thanks for your help in the end though, sorry for upsetting a few people all good in the end though. I don't know enough about my mac to do any of these illegal jobbies anyhow. I'll have to buy the standard upgrade.

When i buy it is there an option to simply upgrade OS and not having to worry about backing my files?? I know apple always suggest backing them because they cannot be held responsible for the loss of them. Or will it be a case of backing all the important files and formating my harddrive?

also i don't know how to quote what other people have said! haha. any help?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 01:58 PM

exactly what I going to do alphasubzero949!!

Does the waambulance come with panther though? hahaha hey i'm just kidding guys!

Yeah cool stuff thanks for your help in the end though, sorry for upsetting a few people all good in the end though. I don't know enough about my mac to do any of these illegal jobbies anyhow. I'll have to buy the standard upgrade.

When i buy it is there an option to simply upgrade OS and not having to worry about backing my files?? I know apple always suggest backing them because they cannot be held responsible for the loss of them. Or will it be a case of backing all the important files and formating my harddrive?

also i don't know how to quote what other people have said! haha. any help?
1. Yes, you can just upgrade 10.3 over 10.2, but you should backup anyway, as insallations can go wrong.

2. Click "reply" at the top of the post you want to quote.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 02:10 PM

Really what you should, now and in the future is use that little search field on the top right. The subject has been covered ad nauseum, and you're likely to get a more in depth answer to this kind of question as many of us upgraded so long ago we hardly remember anymore.

Oh and wait a few days until after the Keynote, when Jobs may just give us a release date for Tiger. You may want to wait a bit.

Adopt-A-Yankee

stoo storm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by paully dub:
Really what you should, now and in the future is use that little search field on the top right. The subject has been covered ad nauseum, and you're likely to get a more in depth answer to this kind of question as many of us upgraded so long ago we hardly remember anymore.

Oh and wait a few days until after the Keynote, when Jobs may just give us a release date for Tiger. You may want to wait a bit.
Ok thanks. I'll keep an eye out and i'll try the search in future! thanks.

chris v - mastered the clickign of that button HAHA. damn i'm a dumb ass!

OpenStep
Senior User
Jan 9, 2005, 12:13 PM

Wow, way to derail a thread. There is no reason the iBook CDs wouldn't work on a PowerBook. I've used iBook G4 install DISKS on a PowerBook G3 when I had no other choice while at school and it worked fine. I'd try repairing permissions/running fsck and then trying to upgrade again. The iBook Mac OS X CDs should work on anything but the iBook restore CDs only work on an iBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules