Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Internal ATA Speed on B&W G3

Internal ATA Speed on B&W G3
nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2002, 11:33 PM

What is the speed of the built-in UltraATA connection in the B&W G3 (I think it is Revision A without the "U" bracket)? I have an ATA/100 drive connected to it. Will I get better performance out of the drive if I buy an ATA/100 or ATA/133 PCI card?

Darkness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2002, 05:11 AM

Its ATA 33, and yes you should get a PCI card to get better performance, but also to avoid data corruption issues that come with the ATA bus on the B&W.

superlarry
Senior User
Dec 9, 2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Darkness:
Its ATA 33, and yes you should get a PCI card to get better performance, but also to avoid data corruption issues that come with the ATA bus on the B&W.
he's right, but to avoid people's potential paranoia, only the rev. A's have the problem - it was fixed in rev. B's.

nemanirc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2002, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by superlarry:

he's right, but to avoid people's potential paranoia, only the rev. A's have the problem - it was fixed in rev. B's.
What problems do people have? How do I know if I have an "A" or a "B"? Mine does not have the U-bracket. Is than an "A"?

daveleck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by nemanirc:

What problems do people have? How do I know if I have an "A" or a "B"? Mine does not have the U-bracket. Is than an "A"?
This page on xlr8yourmac will provide all the info you need:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/IDE/

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2002, 06:45 PM

Hi guys-

Yes, go to the Xlr8 page mentioned above. My G3/300 B&W did not have the stacked drive bracket (u-shpaed bracket), but did have the revised IDE controller. There were a good number made like this. I have had no trouble at all with two drives hooked to it, thanks to the revised IDE controller. The chip is easy to spot, down near the video card slot (instructions on the page mentioned above). My biggest challenge was finding a newer, not heavily guarded tower to *snatch* the U-bracket from. *Grins* mission: accomplished.

This is the URL of the page that addresses some of the ways to tell if you have the revised IDE controller. Pay particular attention to the IDE controller chip section. Forgive me, I know not how to post it as a link. Unless it does it automatically. I'm not sure.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/y...wfeatures.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules