Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac G5 + Panther

PowerMac G5 + Panther
zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 01:42 AM

Sorry if this has already been asked. If so, kindly point me to the thread.

I am going to be purchasing a PowerMac G5 in January (waiting 'til after the Expo just in case - so I don't kick myself afterwards ).

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on when the PM G5 will ship with Panther? I know it depends on the release date, but do you think it will take a bit for it to happen?

I'm just asking because I want to know whether I should purchase Panther or not.

Thanks for any input.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 01:49 AM

If you will be buying a G5 in January, it will come Panther powered for sure Don�t worry.

zachs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by angelmb:
If you will be buying a G5 in January, it will come Panther powered for sure Don�t worry.
That's what I thought.
I was gonna get it in November...but I'll be smart and wait the two months.

OreoCookie
Jul 17, 2003, 04:43 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
Sorry if this has already been asked. If so, kindly point me to the thread.

I am going to be purchasing a PowerMac G5 in January (waiting 'til after the Expo just in case - so I don't kick myself afterwards ).

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on when the PM G5 will ship with Panther? I know it depends on the release date, but do you think it will take a bit for it to happen?

I'm just asking because I want to know whether I should purchase Panther or not.

Thanks for any input.
AFAIK you get a free update for MacOS X when purchasing a G5 (Smeagol --> Panther).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2003, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
AFAIK you get a free update for MacOS X when purchasing a G5 (Smeagol --> Panther).
Wow, that's interesting. Especially if you take into account that G5s will ship within three weeks from now and Panther will maybe not be here until December. Normally Apple doesn't exchange OS's that long.

Where did you hear that? Link? Thanks.

OreoCookie
Jul 17, 2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Wow, that's interesting. Especially if you take into account that G5s will ship within three weeks from now and Panther will maybe not be here until December. Normally Apple doesn't exchange OS's that long.

Where did you hear that? Link? Thanks.
Didn't Stev-O mention this in his keynote? Well, I'll ask when I probably order one for my parents this week or beginning of the next
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2003, 09:21 AM

When I ordered my Dualie G5 in the UK, I asked the 'Panther' question. There was no mention AT ALL of a voucher, or free/reduced price upgrade. They were very, very vague about the issue!

Apple said that it was 'most likely' there would be no free or reduced 'upgrade' price for customers in the UK... the G5 would ship with 10.2.7, and that would be that!

I don't 100% believe it, but you never know, stranger/stupider things have happened! I am not hopeful about getting anything Panther wise with my G5...

ikarus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 03:08 PM

I don't even think panther is running on the G5s yet to be honest. The sole station they had at CreativePro with panther was a 17" powerbook hooked up to a cinema display & keyboard/mouse.

I think they were trying to give the illusion that it was running on the G5s, like it was sort of tucked behind and then there was of course all these G5s everywhere.

zachs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by ikarus:
I don't even think panther is running on the G5s yet to be honest. The sole station they had at CreativePro with panther was a 17" powerbook hooked up to a cinema display & keyboard/mouse.

I think they were trying to give the illusion that it was running on the G5s, like it was sort of tucked behind and then there was of course all these G5s everywhere.
Yea, I noticed that too...
Plus, there were a couple of others like that (the one with the TextEdit doc "Don't touch! It's running the PMac to the left.")

I wonder why...?

By the way, I tried to get a Panther ship date out of an Apple rep. They wouldn't budge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules