Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 11)
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 11:43 PM

http://boards.ign.com/Revolution_Lob...0/101366434/?8

Very cool stuff. This guy used products from gyration, and a PS1 controller, to create a mock Revolution controller that imitates the type of control people claim the NRS controller has. He's modded it to work on a PC, and mapped the keyboard controls to the buttons on the controller(s). His game of choice Half Life 2. He's even included a video of it in motion. Check it out if your curious.

Cheers

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2005, 06:00 AM

Very cool. I was looking forward to Revolution before, I can't wait now.

This seems to be getting linked to all over the place... Has anyone started seeding a torrent yet?

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2005, 09:16 AM

Worldwide launch: June, 2006
http://news.spong.com/x?art=9244

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Worldwide launch: June, 2006
http://news.spong.com/x?art=9244
Hopefully GameCubes Zelda is out by then. With a system at the end of it's life though it might not do as well (yes I know it is backwards compatible).
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 01:01 PM

I wonder if they'll release two versions of the game, the first for GameCube, and the second for Revolution when it comes out, with the new control style and flashier graphics, etc.

I dont like the idea, but could definately see them doing something like that.

Also, on the controller:

"As a final note, the UK publication says that “returning to TGS’s show floor after playing the [Revolution] demos [was] a faintly surreal process. Suddenly, the 360 looks incredibly old-fashioned. Picking up a DualShock for a quick play of Rogue Galaxy seems preposterous. The [Revolution] controller makes it instantly apparent how much of a cheap fudge the 3-D controls of the last two generations have been.”

You can read the full article in issue 156 of Edge magazine, available now in certain bookstores." -http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/148

In all honesty im intregued by the new controller, but cautious as well. i appreciate the 'thinking differently' and the freshness/newness of the thing, but until i see it in action in real gameplay, ill be weary.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 25, 2005 at 01:14 PM. )

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
I wonder if they'll release two versions of the game, the first for GameCube, and the second for Revolution when it comes out, with the new control style and flashier graphics, etc.

I dont like the idea, but could definately see them doing something like that.
That would be rather shitty especially a few months apart.

Rumor has it that Halo 1 & 2 will have better graphics when played on the 360, that is thanks to the hard drive though.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 01:22 PM

Halo 1, i doubt unless they had a rough idea what the XB360's specs were going to be back then.

Halo 2 and LOZ:TP, maybe. i could see how they could implement a software check to determine the console and load the appropriate models and mipmap the textures accordingly, and load the appropriate control setttings, etc. It would probably be similar to the way we change detail level of games on PCs/Macs. it should be interesting to see it implemented in a console environment. dont know if its been done before, but would be a nice way to make the transition to the next gen.

Cheers

EDIT>>Maybe thats why the Zelda team needed the extra time ?

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 11:52 PM

"When asked by Nikkei Business if he has any specific sales figure targeted for the Revolution, Iwata stated that he hopes the console will sell at least more than the GameCube, which has shipped 18.76 million units as of June.

"It [the Revolution] would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube," said Iwata."

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 09:55 AM

Goal: Expand the market

Deciphered: Sell more consoles to more people than current generation

Therefore if fewer consoles are sold, the goal would not be accomplished and therefore be deemed a "failure". Likewise, if the PS3 dosent sell more than the PS2, it will be a failure (price, launch are probably not going to help it either) in expanding the market, the same for the XB360.

So yeah....i wouldnt worry too much about that. lets not forget the previous Nintendo President, the rather escentic dude who imo should be blamed for marketing the cube completely wrong in the begining, had no part to play in the Revolution.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 07:32 PM

"Vice President of Epic Games, Mark Reign has some apparent distaste for Revolution's controller, as seen in this video from the IGN Live Next-Gen Panel. He insists games will be "all about the graphics" in the upcoming generation, and that Nintendo fans are in for "crappy, cheap, I-wish-I-hadn't-bought-it gimmicks".

http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?...y&storyid=1475

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 08:44 PM

Great, guess you can ask him out on a date now.

*yawn* Some said the same about the Nintendo DS and PSP *yawn*

NRS = Platform. NDS = platform. If one developer feels this way about the NRS, well thats fine... look at how many games Nintendo is selling on the gimmikey DS, and their online service hasnt even taken off yet. "gimmicks" in the video game industry to me, is when companies tout graphics as their only selling point. but hey thats just me. (on a side note: I wonder what he has to say about the PS2's success, seeign as how it has the worst graphics of the 3)

Keep up the good work though, i see ur burning the midnight oil to try and find some reason to steal the NRS' thunder. ONE DEVELOPER is a good start...but your going to need a LOT more, especially since every other developer whos seen and used it, loves it and wants to develop for it.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 26, 2005 at 09:43 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 09:15 PM

Hironobu Sakaguchi (president of ´Mistwalker´, creator of ´Final Fantasy´ series) comments that the controller makes you feel like you're touching the screen. Simply trying out the controller filled him with ideas, he admits.

Yoshinori Kitase (producer at Square Enix, ´Final Fantasy VII´, ´Kingdom Hearts´) reveals that he loves to go home after a long day's work, lay down, pick up the television remote with one hand and flip channels on the television. Games require him to move and hold the controller with both hands, and for first person shooters, things get even worse, as he's required to set up a table, mouse and keyboard. Kitase believes that the Revolution controller will allow people to play while laying down, using the controller to shoot things and wield guns. More strikingly, he states that the Revolution controller doesn't just change the content of a game, but the lifestyle of its players.

Atsuhi Taniguchi (producer at From Software, ´Tenchu´) states that he would want to use the expansion pack shown at the press conference (the analogue pad expansion, which Nintendo expects to include with the remote right out of the box) and make a first person title.

Hiroshi Tanibuchi (producer at Konami, ´Powerful Pro´) states that he personally likes games that make you move your body and is interested in making an action game that uses both hands. He's also interested in the Revolution-DS link up.

Akihiro Hino (producer at Level 5, ´True Fantasy Live Online´, ´Dragon Quest VIII´) believes that the Revolution will give birth to new types of games. He is personally interested in making an RPG where you hold a shield in one hand, a sword in the other and mount a head set on our head -- although he laughs that this would be impossible. More seriously, he seems concerned about players getting tired due to all the hand movement, regardless of how much fun their having. The hardware has a lot of potential, but he hopes that games are designed so that even if they're played for lengthy periods people won't get tired.

Tetsuya Mizuguchi (president of Q Entertainment, `Space Channel 5´, ´Rez´, ´Lumines´) states that he'd like to think up some way of combining the controller with music. He wants to create a game that gives the feeling of hooking up directly to your physical senses.

Kouji Okada (president of Gaia, ´Shin Megami Tensei´, ´Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner´) believes the controller will allow for a completely new type of RPG, adding that he'd like to try out many new challenges.

Yoshiki Okamoto (president of Game Republic, creator of ´Street Fighter´ series) believes that the controller has such appeal that even people who lack imagination light up with wonder at what can be done with the device. He admits to having just a few ideas himself, including an action RPG and a horror game so scary that it almost makes you throw your controller.

Noritaka Funamizu (producer at Craft & Meister, ´Resident Evil: Outbreak´) believes that that the controller will fit perfectly with games where you move a cursor about - in fact, he believes the controller can do more than an ordinary mouse. A simulation with a focus on action would be perfect for the controller, he suggests. Funamizu closes off his comments with the prediction that those who've been making games since the old days will have an easier time with the Revolution (a group that includes him, he points out).

Gouichi ´Suda 51´ Suda (producer at Grasshopper, ´Killer 7´) has gone into a bit more depth as part of a similar feature in the latest issue of Famitsu. Following some heavy praise where he suggests that the controller could change the face of gaming, Suda reveals that he's finalizing plans for an original Revolution game. While details are a secret at this point, he tells us that we can expect something extreme, in line with what one expects of a Grasshopper title. The game will focus heavily on direct input through the controller, and will, he promises, exceed Killer 7.

My Source: http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/ (which refers to http://www.famitsu.com/ as it's source)

Cheers

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2005, 10:34 PM

Keep up the good work though, i see ur burning the midnight oil to try and find some reason to steal the NRS' thunder

And then....

Hironobu Sakaguchi (president of ´Mistwalker´, creator of ´Final Fantasy´ series) comments that the controller makes you feel like you're touching the screen. Simply trying out the controller filled him with ideas, he admits.

Yoshinori Kitase (producer at Square Enix, ´Final Fantasy VII´, ´Kingdom Hearts´) reveals that he loves to go home after a long day's work, lay down, pick up the television remote with one hand and flip channels on the television. Games require him to move and hold the controller with both hands, and for first person shooters, things get even worse, as he's required to set up a table, mouse and keyboard. Kitase believes that the Revolution controller will allow people to play while laying down, using the controller to shoot things and wield guns. More strikingly, he states that the Revolution controller doesn't just change the content of a game, but the lifestyle of its players.

Atsuhi Taniguchi (producer at From Software, ´Tenchu´) states that he would want to use the expansion pack shown at the press conference (the analogue pad expansion, which Nintendo expects to include with the remote right out of the box) and make a first person title.

Hiroshi Tanibuchi (producer at Konami, ´Powerful Pro´) states that he personally likes games that make you move your body and is interested in making an action game that uses both hands. He's also interested in the Revolution-DS link up.

Akihiro Hino (producer at Level 5, ´True Fantasy Live Online´, ´Dragon Quest VIII´) believes that the Revolution will give birth to new types of games. He is personally interested in making an RPG where you hold a shield in one hand, a sword in the other and mount a head set on our head -- although he laughs that this would be impossible. More seriously, he seems concerned about players getting tired due to all the hand movement, regardless of how much fun their having. The hardware has a lot of potential, but he hopes that games are designed so that even if they're played for lengthy periods people won't get tired.

Tetsuya Mizuguchi (president of Q Entertainment, `Space Channel 5´, ´Rez´, ´Lumines´) states that he'd like to think up some way of combining the controller with music. He wants to create a game that gives the feeling of hooking up directly to your physical senses.

Kouji Okada (president of Gaia, ´Shin Megami Tensei´, ´Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner´) believes the controller will allow for a completely new type of RPG, adding that he'd like to try out many new challenges.

Yoshiki Okamoto (president of Game Republic, creator of ´Street Fighter´ series) believes that the controller has such appeal that even people who lack imagination light up with wonder at what can be done with the device. He admits to having just a few ideas himself, including an action RPG and a horror game so scary that it almost makes you throw your controller.

Noritaka Funamizu (producer at Craft & Meister, ´Resident Evil: Outbreak´) believes that that the controller will fit perfectly with games where you move a cursor about - in fact, he believes the controller can do more than an ordinary mouse. A simulation with a focus on action would be perfect for the controller, he suggests. Funamizu closes off his comments with the prediction that those who've been making games since the old days will have an easier time with the Revolution (a group that includes him, he points out).

Gouichi ´Suda 51´ Suda (producer at Grasshopper, ´Killer 7´) has gone into a bit more depth as part of a similar feature in the latest issue of Famitsu. Following some heavy praise where he suggests that the controller could change the face of gaming, Suda reveals that he's finalizing plans for an original Revolution game. While details are a secret at this point, he tells us that we can expect something extreme, in line with what one expects of a Grasshopper title. The game will focus heavily on direct input through the controller, and will, he promises, exceed Killer 7.

My Source: http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/ (which refers to http://www.famitsu.com/ as it's source)

Cheers
Pot. kettle. black.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
"Vice President of Epic Games, Mark Reign has some apparent distaste for Revolution's controller, as seen in this video from the IGN Live Next-Gen Panel. He insists games will be "all about the graphics" in the upcoming generation, and that Nintendo fans are in for "crappy, cheap, I-wish-I-hadn't-bought-it gimmicks".

This coming from a guy who makes his living selling graphics?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2005, 03:01 AM

And then....

Pot. kettle. black.
Yup.... just pointing out there's a lot more positive stuff to say about Nintendo than the little bits he finds against it. I dont even post most of positive stuff.

But its good to read up on that stuff, especially when you have to deal with people with such negative and pecimistic view just cause of their extremely biased opinions.

Very similar to arguing with PC nerds about the Macintosh actually.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 27, 2005 at 03:17 AM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2005, 11:30 AM

Well... Apparently the Playstation 3 won't be completely backwards compatible:

http://www.gamespot.com/6136677

"For its part, Nintendo has said the Revolution will support all GameCube discs, and that it will play downloadable, emulated NES, SNES, and N64 titles."
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Well... Apparently the Playstation 3 won't be completely backwards compatible:

http://www.gamespot.com/6136677

"For its part, Nintendo has said the Revolution will support all GameCube discs, and that it will play downloadable, emulated NES, SNES, and N64 titles."
Oh ya that is reliable at this stage of the game

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2005, 12:04 PM

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 01:41 PM

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 01:47 PM

Double..

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2005, 01:48 PM

Isn't this the same trash talk as above?

Rein seems to be a loose cannon. All the other big name game designers are falling all over themselves to gush over the Revolution controller.

Every party has a pooper.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2005, 03:12 PM

This dude's got a heck of a lot ot say about the Revolution's controller. i hope hes actually played a game with it, otherwise he just comes off as an arse looking for attention.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2005, 03:22 PM

This dude's got a heck of a lot ot say about the Revolution's controller. i hope hes actually played a game with it, otherwise he just comes off as an arse looking for attention.
It's Epic. They make a living creating engines with realistic graphics. What I find more absurd is that he has no idea what the Revolution's graphical power is and he's already badmouthing it.

I find this more like a "You shouldn't buy the Revolution because it wouldn't value my engine" rant. These guys don't care what the controls are. To them it's a gimmick because they're graphics engine designers. Controls have nothing to do with their engine.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2005, 03:28 PM

Fair enough. I'm all ears to opinions of people whohave actually used the thing, dont care what their line of work is.

But the sad part is some people here take this douches words seriously, when hes never even used the controller or seen its graphical capability. quite pathetic really. eh ?

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2005, 08:55 AM

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051027-5489.html

"Don't kid yourself - you're going to see more gimmicky, crappy, cheap, 'I wish I hadn't bought it' gimmick games based around that controller than you can ever possibly imagine... I guarantee you there's going to be lots of people who say the whole reason for this game is this controller, we made the perfect game for the controller. And all it'll be is about the controller, and not necessarily a great game."

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2005, 09:25 AM

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051027-5489.html

"Don't kid yourself - you're going to see more gimmicky, crappy, cheap, 'I wish I hadn't bought it' gimmick games based around that controller than you can ever possibly imagine... I guarantee you there's going to be lots of people who say the whole reason for this game is this controller, we made the perfect game for the controller. And all it'll be is about the controller, and not necessarily a great game."

Scandalous Ion Cannon beat you to that one a few days ago...

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2005, 09:40 AM

Saw it posted today on another site for the first time. Oh, well. Still funny

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2005, 06:26 AM

EDGE likes the new controller,

"This is the Nintendo of the NES and GB Tetris coming full circle."

at least they have played it… right Mr. Mark 'it is all about graphics' Reign?

Super Mario
Oct 29, 2005, 09:08 AM

The controller looks like a fun way to play console porn when you get bored of the **** Nintendo games.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
EDGE likes the new controller,

"This is the Nintendo of the NES and GB Tetris coming full circle."

at least they have played it… right Mr. Mark 'it is all about graphics' Reign?

Can anyone show me where anyone has said graphics are the most important?

Just one...

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2005, 05:15 PM

"....there's going to be lots of people who say the whole reason for this game is this controller, we made the perfect game for the controller."
But that's true of any new console, just substitute "controller" for whatever new whiz-bang thingy is in the new tech.

Buy $PRODUCT!! Now optimized for new tech goodness!!

Or, will every single PS3/X360 title focus entirely on gameplay...

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ink
But that's true of any new console, just substitute "controller" for whatever new whiz-bang thingy is in the new tech.

Buy $PRODUCT!! Now optimized for new tech goodness!!

Or, will every single PS3/X360 title focus entirely on gameplay...
Not to mention that there is not ONE reason Xbox or PS3 can come out with the exact same controller anytime they want PLUS have a system with better graphics and HD support.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2005, 07:51 PM

Not to mention that there is not ONE reason Xbox or PS3 can come out with the exact same controller anytime they want PLUS have a system with better graphics and HD support.
Uhhhh.... Nintendo has a patent on the controller.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2005, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Uhhhh.... Nintendo has a patent on the controller.
I guess we know who the innovators are and the copycats are.... big surprise there. Like ive said before, i support Apple cause they innovate and i support Nintendo cause they innovate. I dont like Microsoft & Sony because they copy and cant 'think different' or innovate.

Either way, you have the new controller on the NRS and you can either have a shell for traditional gameplay or plug in your GCN controller. big inconvenience there.

There's no doubt Sony will copy the controller completely...probably for the PS4 cause they cant afford to spend on R&D now. lol

Microsoft, well....having dissed the controller i dont see how they can keep face and copy it at the same time. but then again this is Microsoft, no shame is copying other ppl.

I know who to give credit to though.

Also yeah Edge is a multiplatform gaming magazine in the U.K. What he says about the new controller sounds eerily similar to what ppl said about the Mac in relation to it's competitors back in the day....'the competition seems obsolete'.

'Think Different'...support those who do by giving credit where it's due.

Cheers

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2005, 09:06 PM

I guess we know who the innovators are and the copycats are.... big surprise there. Like ive said before, i support Apple cause they innovate and i support Nintendo cause they innovate. I dont like Microsoft & Sony because they copy and cant 'think different' or innovate.
I wouldn't go that far. The PSX pwn3d the N64 in pretty much every category, including "innovation". The PSP is definitely a radical product, with no real peer (yeah, yeah, the DS is cool too, don't get upset). The X-Box had a hard disk... I guess that was kind of cool. It was big, green and totally American too.... well, you may have a point there. :-)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2005, 04:06 PM

So these are the routers tested with the Nintendo wi-fi connection…

They show the AirPort Express as recommended, could one think that they have not tested the AirPort Extreme?

Does an AirPort Express base station from the USA work, lets say in Europe?, and one model from France, Germany, would work in another euro country?, or are they all the same stuff?

Thanks.

P.S. yeah… Mario Kart DS is coming

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
So these are the routers tested with the Nintendo wi-fi connection…

They show the AirPort Express as recommended, could one think that they have not tested the AirPort Extreme?

Does an AirPort Express base station from the USA work, lets say in Europe?, and one model from France, Germany, would work in another euro country?, or are they all the same stuff?

Thanks.

P.S. yeah… Mario Kart DS is coming
WiFi is the same everywhere.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
WiFi is the same everywhere.
I thought there are some frequency differences internationally. i remember reading someing about it when they introduced the first iBooks in France....something about the frequency. But yeah i think wifi for the most part is the same (havent tested it though).

And yeah MKS....gawddamnit...i dont want to have to invest in a portable game system. but at AU$179(DS) (btw, PSP=AU$400) it's ALMOST an impulse buy. i cant wait for the NRS with it's online offering. Any word on what Sony has planned for it's online strategy if any ?

Also, i just watched the new Metroid prime Hunters video on IGN. They have bumped the graphics up considerably....but imo, a little too colorful....they need to tone it down to give it a more dark/mature feel...after all this is a FPS.

Ive never played SSBM, but judging from it's popularity, can you imagine the success the franchize would see if the N64 version was ported, programmed to take advantage of the dual screens and online capabilities. WOW.

Cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2005, 05:31 PM

I thought there are some frequency differences internationally. i remember reading someing about it when they introduced the first iBooks in France....something about the frequency. But yeah i think wifi for the most part is the same (havent tested it though).
As I recall the problem was when WiFi was brand new they accidently put it on French military radio channels. I think it was resolved by the French moving their military channel.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2005, 12:11 AM

Can anyone show me where anyone has said graphics are the most important?

Just one...

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2005, 07:32 AM

OK, the www.nintendowifi.com site has lots of info about routers you can use to get the N online. There are both Airport Extreme and Express shown with detailed 'how to' config instructions under Mac OS X.

The Internet
Baninated
Nov 8, 2005, 07:34 AM

Those stars remind me of 'NN stars.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2005, 12:43 PM

OMG KILLER TITLE!!!!

"Hideki Konno, lead designer of the revolutionary Nintendogs and Nintendo staple Mario Kart, is playing around with the idea of making a cooking game for the Revolution console.

“We have this game with a big wok that you use to cook Chinese food and it’s really interesting to have the meat and vegetables frying in there and use the controller to flip the food around without it spilling out of the pan,” he told Chris Kohler."

http://forums.idlethumbs.net/showthread.php?p=52690

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
OMG KILLER TITLE!!!!
Dude, a game can't be cool unless you can kill people.

That's why X-Box rules.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ink
Dude, a game can't be cool unless you can kill people.

That's why X-Box rules.
Note, not one of the launch titles I am getting involves killing people.

Virtual cooking? So stupid it must be revolutionary!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2005, 04:52 PM

Yeah! That's so stupid! It's like this other game I heard about... Get this...

You're a little alien prince... from outer space : teenage girl giggle : and you roll around in a sticky ball : more giggling : picking up garbage!

That sounds soooooo stupid. I bet they sold like two copies.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 04:42 PM

BTW they said the exact same thing about the N64. Then came the cube with all it's "fixes" and it was worse.

"Nintendo employed this strategy at the beginning of this round of the console wars in 2001. While Sony and Microsoft released their video game machines at $299, the GameCube initially sold for $100 lower. Ultimately, the move didn't work as well as hoped. The GameCube is third in hardware sales, behind PlayStation 2 and Xbox, a position typically blamed on a weaker portfolio of third-party games and (initially, at least) the machine's boxy design, which even senior officials acknowledge looks childlike.

"I think there were some lessons we learned with the GameCube that we need to apply to the Revolution," said Fils-Aime. "First, we've got make sure that the titles in the first six months are strong and can drive sales. We've also got to make sure the console is attractive visually. And we've got to deliver on the right consumer needs. With GameCube, at the time, portability was thought to be a big factor – that's why it has a handle. Obviously, that wasn't the case."

"One thing's for sure: The Revolution will not support high definition video, a marked divergence from the path Microsoft (Research) and Sony (Research) are taking. And it's not something the company is re-thinking, despite the fervent hopes of some hardcore gaming fans."

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/10/comm...column_gaming/

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 04:45 PM

How can N say that the graphics on the Rev will be the same as the competition, yet not support HD?

Hell, my Atari 2600 can show graphics on a TV.

Mike

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 05:00 PM

How can N say that the graphics on the Rev will be the same as the competition, yet not support HD?Mike

The non-HD users here will tell you there is no big dif (they have no friggin' clue).

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
The non-HD users here will tell you there is no big dif (they have no friggin' clue).
And there are many many many times more non HD users than HD users.

In other words, no one is going to notice the difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules