Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Playing the waiting game...

Playing the waiting game...
djohnson
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 09:27 AM

Well, since my wife graciously has approved of my need to purchase a new Mac, we are getting a mid range tower! However, we are going to wait for the refresh of course but I need some ideas of a siaplay now. I am looking for either a 17" or 19" flat screen, cant go with an Apple display yet... too expensive. What are some good suggestions in the $400 to $600 range?

UPDATE: Ok I will accept the 17" Apple display b/c it is $599 with edu discount... Anything cheaper/better?
( Last edited by djohnson; Apr 21, 2004 at 09:34 AM. )

dennisuello
Apr 21, 2004, 10:44 AM

ViewSonic VE700 ~$450

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 12:45 PM

I have a 17" Apple SD.

I have been pretty impressed, in as much that I have used it a lot and the quality is very good. Reliability wise it has been excellent and never let me down. Colour wise, it is also good.

But, I probably doubt that I will buy another seeing other offering out there.

Current;y after much intensive usage over 3 years, the 17" has:

Screen burn in.

Screen 'yellowing' around the edges.

1 dead pixel.

Is not as bright as the newer displays.

It has had intermittent backlight issues.

If you can spare it, the 20" is a much, much better screen.

I personally may look the way of Samsung for my next screen...

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the replies! Seeing as how the next revision will be out in X months... I may be able to save for the 20" display. Either that of go with a different model. My monitor has lasted since 97 but it has seen better days. Now that college is behind me, I should be able to afford a new computer ever couple of years instead of every 6 years

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2004, 01:34 PM

Just got a Sony SDM-HX73/B for $569 after rebate from Circuit City. Great display, no dead pixels. Also has 3 inputs, 2 analog VGA type and 1 DVI digital input. Not too many 17" displays have DVI unless you're willing to spend more. Plus the extra video inputs means I can use it with my PC and Mac and switching is as simple as pushing a button on the screen.

BTW, I too was waiting to buy my G5, but eh, I couldn't wait any longer so I bought my dual 2 ghz last night. Didn't buy a Cinema Display yet though since I want one that matches the computer better.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 01:38 PM

Much as I like my 17" SD, I would not recommend buying an Apple display until they match the 3 year warranties many other vendors include. Plus, buying a DVI display just gives you more flexibility...

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by cmoney:
Just got a Sony SDM-HX73/B for $569 after rebate from Circuit City. Great display, no dead pixels. Also has 3 inputs, 2 analog VGA type and 1 DVI digital input. Not too many 17" displays have DVI unless you're willing to spend more. Plus the extra video inputs means I can use it with my PC and Mac and switching is as simple as pushing a button on the screen.

BTW, I too was waiting to buy my G5, but eh, I couldn't wait any longer so I bought my dual 2 ghz last night. Didn't buy a Cinema Display yet though since I want one that matches the computer better.
Sweet! Unfortunately it will be around the time that the new models come out before we have enough money... I will check out that display this weekend. What resolutions does it handle?

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Much as I like my 17" SD, I would not recommend buying an Apple display until they match the 3 year warranties many other vendors include. Plus, buying a DVI display just gives you more flexibility...
Apple does not have a 3 year warranty? How long is it then?

*runs off to check Apple's website*

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Apple does not have a 3 year warranty? How long is it then?

*runs off to check Apple's website*
Nope. You can get one covered under a 3 year AppleCare warranty for extra $$$ and only if you bought it at the same time as a PowerBook or PowerMac.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Sweet! Unfortunately it will be around the time that the new models come out before we have enough money... I will check out that display this weekend. What resolutions does it handle?
unfortunately like all PC biased 17" or 19" LCDs, it only does 1280x1024. I wanted to get the 20" for the better resolution but with dual display support in the G5, I can get another Sony LCD and have more screen real estate than the 20" and it would still cost less than!

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by cmoney:
unfortunately like all PC biased 17" or 19" LCDs, it only does 1280x1024. I wanted to get the 20" for the better resolution but with dual display support in the G5, I can get another Sony LCD and have more screen real estate than the 20" and it would still cost less than!
Yeah that is what I have noticed too. No reason to worry about the 19" display then. I have a 17" at work and think I will get the same at home. Guess I should pay a visit to CompUSA and Circuit City to check out what models I like. Since I still have a couple of months, I will wait for a good sale on one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules