Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" or 14" iBook

View Poll Results: Which size iBook screen do you own?
Poll Options:
12" - any model 54 votes (73.97%)
14" - any model 18 votes (24.66%)
other - any model 1 votes (1.37%)
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll
12" or 14" iBook
troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2004, 02:41 PM

I scanned the forums and found a few polls on this topic, but they were either specific to a certain model or were closed.

I was curious, of those that own or have ordered iBook's, which screen size is most owned?
Troy Murray

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 10:54 AM

Looks like 12" is more popular.
Troy Murray

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2004, 12:30 PM

I never wanted a form-factor larger than what the 12� one has. The 12� screen is plenty big enough. I curse the people who kept asking Apple for an ibook with a larger screen.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 12:45 PM

The 12" is much better hands down if you don't have any vision problems. The only thing a 14" offers that a 12" doesn't have is the Superdrive option, other than that I wouldn't even consider buying the 14" (maybe to relive my old Pismo days again, but that's a whole different story).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 04:00 PM

I've used both and I would take the 14" over the 12" any day of the week. The 12" just seems cramped. I have big hands so the extra palm rest space is more comfortable. Both are fine laptops but it just comes down to preference.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2004, 05:07 PM

I agree. It is all preference. I like the bigger screen just cause there is more of it. It is easier to see, and when I hook up speakers and play a movie everyone can see it, and we are not fighting over spots to watch. I also like the larger handrests as well.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 05:15 PM

its the same resolution and you can set system font size icon size and the size at which web pages display at, so what does it matter. For me portability was important as was price so i got the 12 inch.

kdixey
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2004, 02:57 PM

I agree, that is really is a matter of preference. I chose the 14" because I found that the 12" just felt a little small for my tastes. I thought the screen was a little harder to read (for my 43 year old eyes) and I just really liked the way the 14" ibook felt when I used it.

I do like the fact that the 12" is more portable, but when you consider that I replaced an old clamshell ibook, the 14" ibook doesn't seem that heavy.

Kevin
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

svan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 06:24 AM

I might buy a 12" ibook in a few months time, I'm just wondering, will the 12" screen be enough for long time usage? (I'll be using it atleast few hours a day) mainly for coding and usual univ stuff.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by svan:
I might buy a 12" ibook in a few months time, I'm just wondering, will the 12" screen be enough for long time usage? (I'll be using it atleast few hours a day) mainly for coding and usual univ stuff.
For long hours of coding, I'd recommend the 14''.

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2004, 02:36 AM

For anything, I recommend the 12''.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 09:54 AM

The 12 inch has a pixel density of about 100 per inch, according to apple this is the perfect pixel density. And i completely agree. Not to mention this is the pixel density of the new 30 inch display.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2004, 10:20 AM

what is the pixel density for the 14''?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
The 12 inch has a pixel density of about 100 per inch, according to apple this is the perfect pixel density. And i completely agree. Not to mention this is the pixel density of the new 30 inch display.
It's 106ppi. And I agree, it works very well.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that the 14" model has a bigger battery, and so has another hour or two of battery life. At least that was the case last time I checked.

That said, I still don't think the 14" is worth the extra money. The resoultion is the same, it's bigger, and it's heavier. If staring at the 12" screen hurts your eyes, I'd put the price difference toward an external monitor.

Michael1980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 01:53 PM

Definetely would go with 12". Get a monitor if you need that extra space.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2004, 02:14 PM

I had a hard time making this decision.
With the educational discount, I was comparing these two prices:

$1084 for 12'', 80gb hd
vs.
$1267 for 14'', 80gb hd

Now that's a $183 difference for a bigger screen (yes, I know it's the same resolution), slightly better battery life, and slightly faster processor.
I will be using the ibook as my primary computer and I figured I'd pay the extra $183. I figured it'd be easier for me to regret not getting the 14'' than regret not getting the 12''. In the end, the 14'' fit my needs very well.
Although I must admit that the 12'' had it's advantages. All the extra space around the keyboard on the 14'' is a bit annoying and it just doesn't look right, while the 12'' looked perfectly proportioned.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by jaimzedup:
what is the pixel density for the 14''?
Its about 80 ppi.

castle3
Nov 30, 2004, 01:28 AM

I have the 12 inch, and though its hard to use ProTools on it b/c of the screen size, it fits my preferences b/c im in and out all the time. its compact and sleak and will fit in my man-purse (thats right, i said man-purse) most people are surprised that something like that would fit in one.
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by castle3:
I have the 12 inch, and though its hard to use ProTools on it b/c of the screen size, it fits my preferences b/c im in and out all the time. its compact and sleak and will fit in my man-purse (thats right, i said man-purse) most people are surprised that something like that would fit in one.
Do you carry your man-purse while wearing your fur coat like in that episode of Seinfeld?
Troy Murray

castle3
Dec 1, 2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by troymurray:
Do you carry your man-purse while wearing your fur coat like in that episode of Seinfeld?
actually, I DO have a wool coat...with a hood...i know i know..its bad!!!
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

dennisuello
Dec 6, 2004, 11:50 AM

to me the whole point of an iBook, is that it's small, and 14" screen makes it too disproportionate, i think

Forum Links
Forum Rules