Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Inefficient Mail 2.0 behavior

Inefficient Mail 2.0 behavior
blythe
May 3, 2005, 01:40 PM

Mail 2.0 seems to exhibit some very inefficient behavior when dealing with attachments. Consider the following scenario:

1. You receive an email with an attachment.
2. As soon as you open up the attachment to view it, Mail will automatically save the attachment in the ~/Library/Mail Downloads directory. I presume that this happens so that Spotlight can index the attachment. The attachment exists in two locations now, the ~/Library/Mail Downloads directory as well as in the actual email.
3. If you delete the email with the attachment, the saved file in the ~/Library/Mail Downloads directory does not get deleted. If you get a bunch of emails with attachments that you view, when you delete the emails, you also have to delete the files in the ~/Library/Mail Downloads directory to get rid of all traces of the email.

This seems to be a very inefficient use of space. I can see that they did this to integrate Spotlight functionality, but it seems like it would have been better to modify Spotlight to index attachments without having to save them separately outside of the email.
blythe

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 06:37 AM

This is common behavior in many if not most e-mail clients. It's not just about Spotlight; it's about letting you get at the files you downloaded without having to open Mail again.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 09:34 AM

Different problem, but your post title works here, too, so I won't start a new thread.

You use the Toolbar "Delete" button to get rid of an e-mail you don't care to save, but it doesn't go away. You have to Right-Click on the folder which holds said e-mail and select "Erase Deleted Messages" to make the offending e-mail disappear. But wait, there's more! When you do this, a sheet slides down to confirm whether you really want to erase your deleted messages. However... The message disappears AS the sheet is sliding down, so if you mistakenly hit that, too bad.

a.) Why don't messages just go away when you hit "Delete" in the toolbar, like they used to? Have I missed a setting somewhere?

and...

b.) Why have a sheet confirm whether you really want to do something, if the application's going to do it anyway?

I hope this is just a new bug which will be squashed with the .1 update and not new "features" that can't be disabled. On the flip-side, Rules work much better now.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules