Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Secure Personal File Sharing

Secure Personal File Sharing
blythe
May 9, 2005, 08:41 PM

I can't seem to get Personal File Sharing to connect securely via SSH. I've got two Macs running 10.4. I've turned on Personal File Sharing and Remote Login from the Sharing control panel on both Macs. On both Macs, in the Options dropdown of the Connect to Server pane, I have "Allow sending password in clear text" unchecked and both "Allow secure connections using SSH" and "Warn when connection does not support SSH" checked. When I try to connect to the other Mac, I get a warning that states"

Cannot make a secure connection to "xxxx"
The server "xxxx" does not support secure connections via SSH. To connect with reduced security, click Continue.

I assume that connecting with reduced security does not fall back to clear text authentication, as I have that option unchecked and this article (http://developer.apple.com/documenta...section_6.html) seems to suggest that some other authentication is used, although it is not clear which reduced method of authentication is used.

However, since the SSH option is there, I still would like to somehow connect using this OpenSSH. Apple has published instructions (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25758) on how to get this working, but following the instructions does not seem to solve the problem. As instructed, I modified my ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences file on both Macs by changing the following values using the Property List Editor:

afp_ssh_allow=1
afp_ssh_force=1
afp_ssh_require=1

I even connected both Macs to each other via ssh on the command line so that I could have the right keys in ~/.ssh/known_hosts. However, when trying to connect via the Finder, I get:

Cannot make a secure connection to "xxxx"
Secure connection failed. Please contact your server administrator.

Has anyone else gotten this to work? The "Configuring AFP to use OpenSSH exclusively" article was published on 4/8/04, so did this workaround work in Panther but break in Tiger?
blythe

Forum Links
Forum Rules