Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Close MBP at night? Dust vs. hinge wear

Close MBP at night? Dust vs. hinge wear
danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2007, 05:52 PM

Over night, is it better to

- close the MBP and wear out the hinge, or

- leave the MBP open and let it get all dusty

Any experiences from long-term PowerBook/MacBook users?

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 06:02 PM

I think its better to close the MBP myself, which is what I do. I don't the hinge is going to wear out--at least not during the useful life of the computer.

ibook_steve
Jan 2, 2007, 06:41 PM

Wow. We've had plenty of sleep vs. shut down questions here (way too many), but this must be the first closed vs. open I've ever seen. There is no need to worry about the hinges. This is not Wallstreet we're talking about. Closed or open, it doesn't matter. How dusty is it in your house to be concerned about dust over night?

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2007, 09:00 PM

I still have the foam sheet that came with my MacBook Pro as a spacer between the keyboard and screen. When I leave the MBP on my desk, I leave it open with the foam sheet over the keyboard (I use a ruler as a weight to hold it in place). This keeps dust out of the keyboard without my having to mess with the lid at all. The screen gets some dust this way, but not much and it's easy to clean off.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2007, 09:05 PM

Wow.

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

urzsite
Jan 5, 2007, 09:25 AM

I leave it like GHporter. To much hastle with closing it and opening it, when you can just put the foam-sheet on ;-)

And I don't mind the screen getting dirty as I like cleaning them once in a while.
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2007, 09:39 AM

It IS a laptop, and I think closing it once a day won't hurt it. Seriously, it's made to use other places, I mean, just buy a desktop with a keyboard cover. I'm anal about my computer, but thats a little out there even for me.
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

austai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 02:10 PM

I had to chime in because I've also ponder this question because I'm also worried about hinge wear. Sure, the hinge should function forever but I think depending on how you treat it, the hinge can get loose, which I have seen on other laptops and which I find annoying.

My compromise: close and open the lid gently and touching the center of the top of the lid so the force is evenly distributed on the whole hinge. Also, I don't bother closing it all the way, only enough to keep the dust from falling on top.

I know the above sounds like a person with OCD but I like to make my computers last a loooog time and, guess what, they do.

PeterS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 02:19 AM

I leave my TiPB open almost all the time. When I am away from it for any length of time and at night when I have finished for the day i just place a small piece of cloth over the keyboard.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2007, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Wow. We've had plenty of sleep vs. shut down questions here (way too many), but this must be the first closed vs. open I've ever seen. There is no need to worry about the hinges. This is not Wallstreet we're talking about. Closed or open, it doesn't matter. How dusty is it in your house to be concerned about dust over night?

Steve
well now, there's a shitload of dust in my house, always has been. always will be.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2007, 04:49 AM

Lemme think .. I THINK I leave it open most of the time, but only because I have mostly downloads running in the background and it goes to sleep otherwise

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 05:31 PM

I leave my MBP open for long periods of time, but use the Shaggymac Protector.

Hinge wear??
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 03:45 AM

Lid Closed, I have a very curious 3 year old boy, who like his daddy, like shiny metal things!
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

tcphoto
Jan 10, 2007, 12:51 PM

After the Wallstreet debacle, I leave my G4 open if it's not going anywhere.

dennisuello
Jan 10, 2007, 04:09 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules