Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Error message when installing El Capitan on new HDD.

Error message when installing El Capitan on new HDD.
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2015, 12:27 PM

I did a google search with no help and search here as well.

My old 20" mid 2007 iMac's hard drive finally died. It was retired to my mom's so she could play FB games. I was using an external HDD until I could install a new 1TB drive. (7200 rpm) I formatted it and tried to install El Capitan from the app store. It gets about half way and I get an error message saying the install failed. I also tried installing Snow Leopard from a retail install DVD so I could instal EC from the app store. That is what I did after the old hard drive died. I even tried a restore from a time machine backup I created before installing the new hard drive. The new drive is formatted correctly, journeld, GUID partition etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
45/47

P
Oct 21, 2015, 04:31 PM

Shots in the dark again, but...

Firmware updated to latest level?
Did you transfer the heat sensor when you upgraded the internal HDD?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2015, 05:09 PM

I believe The firmware was updated back in the day. Is there other firmware than the keyboard?
I secured the heat sensor in approximately the same spot.

I located the OEM install discs (10.4.10) I'm trying an erase and install. If that works I will install SL, then EC
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2015, 06:08 PM

OK, I managed to install El Capitan, but now it still boots to the external drive even after I select the new drive as the startup disk in the system preferences. I tried unplugging the external drive but got the flashing folder. AAAH!
45/47

P
Oct 28, 2015, 08:17 AM

I believe you can still use the installer to reformat the internal drive while booted from the installation disk before proceeding with installation. Maybe give that a try?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2015, 10:45 AM

Would I use the El Capitan Recovey disk on the internal drive, or erase and instal Snow Leopard from the DVD drive. I would unplug the external drive while doing this also, correct?
45/47

P
Oct 28, 2015, 11:08 AM

Use the El Capitan recover disk, and yes disconnect the external drive first.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Use the El Capitan recover disk, and yes disconnect the external drive first.
Thanks. I will try that after work. Partition, erase, then reinstall?
45/47

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2015, 08:11 PM

That's what I'd do. Partitioning and formatting should fix any issues that kept the first (several) attempts from working.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That's what I'd do. Partitioning and formatting should fix any issues that kept the first (several) attempts from working.
I did that and installed EC. I launched the installer fron the external drive that the iMac was running off of until I could install the new drive. I selecetd the new drive in the startup preference pane, yet it still boots to the external drive. Should I copy the installer to the new internal drive,launch it from there, then disconnect the external drive and complete the (re)install?
45/47

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2015, 07:14 PM

That's a hassle, but I think it should at least get you booting from the internal drive.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2015, 05:10 PM

There are a few possibilities here, and it's basically just a process of elimination to figure out what's going on:

a) The new drive could be bad (not as unlikely as you might think)
b) You may have an internal component failure other than the HDD (i.e. controller (thus motherboard) or cable. The cable is not likely in your model as far as I know, but Apple has had major problems with HDD cables failing in MacBook Pros, so don't rule it out)
c) The computer and drive "may not like each other". It's not common, but occasionally you'll find a drive and drive-controller which simply don't work properly together.

Unfortunately, you may have to disassemble things again to really figure out what is going on. If I were you I would:

1) Go ahead and pull the drive again and install it in an external case
2) Reformat the drive and install EC
3) Does everything work properly now?
4) If "Yes, then download and install SMC Fan Control, so that you can control your internal fans. Then Install the drive internally again.
5) Does it still work?
6) If "yes" you are done (keep backups!) - Also, set the Startup Disk System Pref properly for faster startup (otherwise the iMac will "search" every single time until it discovers the drive)
6.5) Use SMC Fan control to keep things running cooly
7) If "no", then you know the problem is not the drive and you have a choice to either try to track it down further (not worth the time in a system this old!) Or simply take the drive back out and continue using it in an external case.
8) If you decide to track it down further (assuming it still doesn't work), and you can still return the drive, then get yourself either a reasonably small SSD or one of the Seagate Hybrid Drives. That way, if you are ultimately forced to use the drive externally, having that drive be a SSD or Hybrid drive will help compensate for the slower external bus. (A SSD or Hybrid drive installed in a FW or USB case is still limited by the throughput of the BUS of course, but it will give you back a lot of responsiveness (i.e. "snappiness") that you will otherwise lose running a standard HDD on the slow external bus.

Hope that helps a little...

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2015, 07:35 AM

The drive is on Other World Computing's page of compatible HDD's, so that is not the issue. I talked to the Mac guys here at work work and it's most likely due to installing EC while the external drive was connected. I'm going to reformat and install SL from the DVD with the external drive disconnected.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Oct 31, 2015, 01:22 PM

While I hope that works, it should not matter what drives are connected. I've installed/reinstalled OS X versions many times on multi-drive systems. Never had to disconnect non-target drives to make it work right. If that turns out to be the problem, then EL or the EL installer has a bug.

honestone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2015, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
While I hope that works, it should not matter what drives are connected. I've installed/reinstalled OS X versions many times on multi-drive systems. Never had to disconnect non-target drives to make it work right. If that turns out to be the problem, then EL or the EL installer has a bug.
Same here. I have dome numerous OS installations, and have never had to disconnect any peripheral device, including other drives.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2015, 03:09 PM

It looks like I have a bad data cable. I was able to instal EC with a bootable USB installer. It still would not boot to the internal HDD. Anyone have a link to a remove and replace video? The only one I found deals with removing the logic board, which it mentions is needed to replace the data cable.
45/47

P
Nov 5, 2015, 09:04 AM

Try ifixit.com, they usually have guides.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Try ifixit.com, they usually have guides.
I believe that's the one I looked at. I used the HDD replacement video for the new drive.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules