Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > CLI CpMac question

CLI CpMac question
blythe
Mar 23, 2001, 01:37 PM

I've been using OS X PB on my Beige G3 333 (448 MB) as my main OS since it came out. When copying, deleting, and/or moving large directories around, the Finder becomes very sluggish and unresponsive (so much for an advanced multi-threaded file browser). Therefore, I've been accustomed to using the CLI tool, CpMac, along with rm, to do my heavy file manipulations. For those of you who don't know, CpMac is a command line tool that was included in the PB developer's package that copies files while preserving the file's resources (using cp will strip any resources). I basically run it in the background (by appending ' &' to the command), where it uses ~3-25% of the CPU per thread. The rest of my apps just zip along as if nothing were happening (the complete opposite of what would happen if attempting the same thing in the Finder). I've got a couple of questions.

1. For those of you who already have a copy of the Retail version, is CpMac included in the Developer's CD?

2. The usage is: CpMac [-r] [-mac] <source-path>... <dest-path>

Unfortunately, a man page was not provided. I know that the -r option is used to recursively copy directories, but I have no idea what the -mac options are. Does anyone know? I tried fooling around with them, but I couldn't figure them out.

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
blythe
blythe

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2001, 01:43 PM

I'm going to move this over to OS X Usage & Support. Please click through and find the topic.

Some Important Information

muchfresh
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2001, 04:14 PM

looks like cpmac is gone! I used to use it too. I have installed the deve tools. do you know where it was installed?
'Satisfy the urge and discover the need' Q-Tip

blythe  (op)
Mar 23, 2001, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by muchfresh:
looks like cpmac is gone! I used to use it too. I have installed the deve tools. do you know where it was installed?
It used to be here in the PB dev tools section: /Developer/Tools/CpMac

Thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to back up a copy.

------------------
blythe
blythe

Scrod
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 03:21 AM

No need to back up a copy. I can confirm that CpMac is installed with the OS X Developer Tools in the final version. What I want to know, however, is where I can find the equivalent of or the actual man pages themselves for all those other apps in the Tools folder.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Forum Links
Forum Rules