Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 3.06 GHz noise

iMac 3.06 GHz noise
blythe
May 9, 2008, 10:15 AM

I'm planning on purchasing a new 3.06 GHz iMac, and was wondering if anyone knows if they are any louder than the other iMac models. I appreciate a quiet working environment, and I'm wondering if the additional power needed by the higher-end 3.06 GHz processor increases fan noise by any appreciable amount.
blythe

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2008, 10:27 AM

If there is any difference, it will be very minor.

ibook_steve
May 9, 2008, 01:51 PM

Additional power doesn't directly increase fan noise. Fan noise increases when fans run faster, and fans must run faster when the operating temperature gets too high and the chips require cooling that the heat sink(s) can't completely dissipate. Heat sinks are custom made to get heat away from the chips as much as they can on their own without needing to run the fans at high speeds.

Therefore, unless Apple has done a bad job at redesigning the heat sinks, or you are running extremely processor intensive applications, fans should barely come on at all, at least not at a noticeable volume.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2008, 10:27 PM

It's virtually silent. The hard drive is WD Caviar SE16 500 GB ( WD5000AAKS ) in my case.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Additional power doesn't directly increase fan noise. Fan noise increases when fans run faster, and fans must run faster when the operating temperature gets too high and the chips require cooling that the heat sink(s) can't completely dissipate. Heat sinks are custom made to get heat away from the chips as much as they can on their own without needing to run the fans at high speeds.
Other way around. Temperature is just an output/indicator
When power output increases, you either need higher flow rates or higher temperature gradients to dissipate the heat. Assuming it's the same case/heatsink design, you should expect the higher TDP CPU to be hotter or louder when running at high load.

blythe  (op)
May 11, 2008, 01:09 AM

I bought the 3.06 yesterday, and I can confirm that it's very quiet with no appreciable difference in noise from the other models.
blythe

nero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2008, 10:33 AM

I just bought an iMac 3.06, and I can also confirm that there is hardly any noise. I replaced a titanium powerbook that ran very hot and sounded like a vacuum cleaner -- even in a cold room. It drove me nuts. What a pleasure the iMac is to work with. As a graphics professional, I was worried about noise, glossy screen and uneven screen lighting. All my concerns turned out to be non-issues. These are great machines.

Forum Links
Forum Rules