Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Using TC and a WRT54G

Using TC and a WRT54G
blythe
Jan 18, 2010, 02:18 PM

I have a first generation Time Capsule that I use as my primary router. I use it in 5 GHz wireless N mode exclusively to maximize speed and throughput for my computers. However, I have a few devices that only use 2.4 GHz wireless G, but I don't want to configure TC to work in mixed mode. I've got a spare Linksys WRT54G v1.1 router that I'd like to connect to the TC so that I can use it to connect the wireless G devices.

The TC is connected to the internet and is in a pretty much default configuration using DHCP, and I've connected the WRT54G to the TC (ethernet cable goes from one of the TC's client ports to the WRT54G's Internet port). On the WRT54G, I've set it up to use DHCP and on the Advanced Routing tab of the WRT54G setup screen, I've selected "Router" for the operating mode. However, I can't seem to get devices connecting to the WRT54G to connect to the internet. I'm guessing I've got to set the IP address and subnet mask of the WRT54G to something else, but don't know enough about networks to be able to configure it. Can someone provide some direction or help?
blythe

ibook_steve
Jan 18, 2010, 02:56 PM

First of all, you mention you have a first gen TC. I don't think those could even work in mixed mode (n and g at the same time).

In any event, the Linksys should be in bridged mode, not router mode. The TC is already set up to distribute IP addresses with DHCP. You can't have more than one router on the same network doing that. So just set up the Linksys to bridged mode and the TC will still distribute addresses to all machines and handle the routing to the Internet.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

blythe  (op)
Jan 18, 2010, 03:01 PM

I'm not sure how to switch to bridged mode. The only option in my WRT54G for the Operating Mode are "Gateway" and Router".
blythe

blythe  (op)
Jan 18, 2010, 05:44 PM

I found the answer I was looking for. I simply updated my firmware to the latest DD-WRT firmware, and followed the instructions to create a wireless access point.
blythe

Forum Links
Forum Rules