Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > TiVo not recognizing AirPort upon iMac wake up

TiVo not recognizing AirPort upon iMac wake up
dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 12:38 PM

I've successfully connected my Series2 TiVo to my iMac G5's built-in AirPort connection (no router on my system). However, whenever I put the iMac to sleep and later wake it, the TiVo does not automatically reconnect to the network, and I have to go back into the TiVo settings and set it up again - fortunately that part is easy, in that I don't have to rework any settings, I just keep hitting Enter until it says that it's connected. But it's incovenient, to say the least, to have to do it every time.

Am I missing something? I want to say that when I first set up the TiVo-iMac network that it always would reconnect upon waking from sleep, but that's no longer the case.

Any users out there who can help me find the right settings on either the TiVo or the iMac to get this working more seemlessly?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2006, 06:29 PM

A computer-to-computer connection is called an "ad-hoc" connection, and by design these are ephemeral-they're not supposed to last.

Drop $50 and buy a wireless router and you'll be able to set up a regular wireless network - and offload any other networking functions you have, like PPPoE for DSL.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dpfenninger  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2006, 12:04 PM

Thanks...I'll take the plunge and get the router.

Forum Links
Forum Rules