Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Stock G5 1.6 upgrade Question?

Stock G5 1.6 upgrade Question?
DynastyMac
Jan 13, 2004, 11:29 PM

I am looking into getting a Stock 1.6 G5 and was wondering if there is a way to upgrade the internal CDRW up to a Superdrive, if so where could i purchase one of these? Thanks for all the help!

-Eric

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 12:21 AM

A stock 1.6 GHz G5 has a Superdrive (DVD-RW/CD-RW) built into it. You have to build-to-order to drop it down to a Combo (DVD/CD-RW) drive.

If you were in the situation of buying a 1.6 GHz G5 with a Combo drive, you MAY be able to replace the internal drive with one of the DVD-RW drives Apple has used (either the Pioneer A06 or Sony DRU-510A, I believe), but it wouldn't be the best idea. Even assuming that it doesn't need a special firmware flash to be treated as an Apple-installed drive (which is often what iDVD or iTunes looks for), you might need to make physical changes to the drive to get it to fit the vertical drive cover on the G5 case that shunts down when you hit Eject.

So the good news is that you may not have to do anything to get it to burn DVDs; the bad news is that if you do, it may be difficult to get DVD burning without an external drive (and a 3rd-party app).
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 01:02 AM

I would suggest that you buy a pioneer dvr 106d, it is fully supported by the macos without any changes.. this is the drive I'm talking about.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

DynastyMac  (op)
Jan 14, 2004, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by davidflas:
I would suggest that you buy a pioneer dvr 106d, it is fully supported by the macos without any changes.. this is the drive I'm talking about.
Would that drive allow me to use IDVD? That is my main concern. Thanks for any advice!

-Eric

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2004, 09:36 PM

Indeed it would. It is the same drive that Apple ships.

He linked you to the $144 retail-box version of the drive, but you may want to save yourself another $24 and wait until the OEM version of the drive is back in stock. Same drive, just as 'brand new', just no box.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 06:13 AM

I concur, the 106 is the one to go for...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Commodus:
A stock 1.6 GHz G5 has a Superdrive (DVD-RW/CD-RW) built into it. You have to build-to-order to drop it down to a Combo (DVD/CD-RW) drive.
This is correct. If you are truely buying a "stock" 1.6GHz model, it should come with a SuperDrive. If it isn't coming with one, then you've either special ordered it that way, or someone is trying to pull one over on you.

Personally, you're safest in going with a direct Apple OEM. Never do know what incompatibilities lie in the future (firmware updates, etc).

Forum Links
Forum Rules