Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Removing App from iPhone and iTunes

Removing App from iPhone and iTunes
phkc070408
Jan 8, 2012, 05:50 AM

I'm a bit confused about syncing apps over iCloud. Actually, it's specifically about removing apps.

My iPhone is set up for Apps to sync into iCloud.
Whenever I download an App, it shows up in the apps tab in iTunes on my MacBook Pro.
I want to remove the app from both my computer and my iPhone.
I try to remove it from either the computer or from iTunes, but it keeps coming back.

Are there any settings I should check for? Also, should I remove the App from the iPhone, or from iTunes?

ibook_steve
Jan 9, 2012, 03:32 PM

Where exactly are your removing the app?

To completely delete an app, in iTunes, select Apps from the Library column on the left. Delete the selected app. iTunes will ask if you want to just delete it from iTunes or move it to the trash. That's up to you.

Now to delete from your phone, you can do it either on the phone or in iTunes. In iTunes, select your phone from the devices list on the left, then click Apps at the top of the window (right under the Apple logo). This shows you the apps installed on your phone. Select and delete the app from here. On the phone, hold the icon until it jiggles and click x to remove it.

With iCloud, purchased apps are always readily available for re-download in the App store app on your phone or from the store in iTunes.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

phkc070408  (op)
Jan 9, 2012, 04:55 PM

Mr. Steve:

Here's the situation: My wife downloads a lot of games, lite versions, trial versions, free versions. etc. We have the apps set to sync with iCloud. These are apps that she is finished with, and no longer wants. Our goal is to remove them from both her iPhone and my MacBook Pro, and I'm a little confused as to the proper way to delete them. I see that they can be removed from either the iPhone (either via the iPhone tab in iTunes or the iPhone directly), or they can be removed from the apps library in iTunes.

Should I remove them from the iPhone or the Apps Library in iTunes? And will it sync to the alternate device?

ibook_steve
Jan 10, 2012, 01:06 PM

If you want them completely gone, you need to delete both. iCloud just keeps track of what you've purchased on one device so it can appear on the other after purchase. If you want them gone, you have to delete on both. But like I said, they'll always be available for re-download even if they've been deleted, they just won't automatically re-download.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules