Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The 6s

The 6s (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2015, 02:45 PM

Lord, I'll be jumping from an A5 to an A9. I think I can milk three years out of that easy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2015, 02:56 PM

4K is cool.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2015, 02:59 PM

Suck it, Google.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Lord, I'll be jumping from an A5 to an A9. I think I can milk three years out of that easy.
I'll also be jumping from 8 GB to 16 GB. God dammit

andi*pandi
Sep 9, 2015, 03:01 PM

^yes, it will be sweet

Live Photos: very Minority Report cool, but won't it eat up the space on the phone, or the battery?.... nice of them to show us how to turn it off.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2015, 03:02 PM

Is it me or is $32 a month not a bad deal?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2015, 03:04 PM

That upgrade program has potential.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2015, 03:08 PM

Live photos are very Harry Potter-esque

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2015, 03:13 PM

The thing is, the iPhone camera, which I like, is sloooooow. I'm afraid half your live photo will be the autofocus pumping.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2015, 03:37 PM

I went to the VZW store last week and talked plan options. Since the prices stay the same applying my bonus as a down payment my monthly would be about $14 off contract for the 128GB 6S plus. It will bea Merry Christmas indeed! If I go with 6GB ( the wife will use little or no data) I will pay about what I am now for 2GB a month. As I mentioned before, I have to unbundle fro CentruyLink.
45/47

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'll also be jumping from 8 GB to 16 GB. God dammit
Only 8GB? Good Lord, how the **** do you manage? <Looks over at his 128GB iPhone 6 Plus>

Originally Posted by Subego
The thing is, the iPhone camera, which I like, is sloooooow. I'm afraid half your live photo will be the autofocus pumping.
I can't speak for the 5s camera but I wouldn't describe the 6 Plus camera as slow. I'm sure the 6s is even faster.

Also - No love for the price drop in iCloud storage? 1TB dropped from $20/month to $10/month.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Only 8GB? Good Lord, how the **** do you manage? <Looks over at his 128GB iPhone 6 Plus>
I don't need it for music.

P
Sep 9, 2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
^yes, it will be sweet

Live Photos: very Minority Report cool, but won't it eat up the space on the phone, or the battery?.... nice of them to show us how to turn it off.
I'm sure it uses more battery than other photos, but running the sensor isn't the big part of taking photos. Lighting up the screen and - if you use it - the flash are much bigger energy hogs, so I don't think the effect will be significant. As for space, it seems to me that there is ample room for some clever compression here, as the multiple images ought to be very similar. Store the main image as a regular JPEG, and then use that as a keyframe with the surrounding frames stored as their differences from the main image.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
In my limited experience with the iPhone 6, the phase-detect auto focus ("focus pixels") pretty much fixed that, and that is the sort of thing I'd expect them to iterate on in a new sensor.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2015, 08:25 PM

Is the camera widescreen yet? Was shocked when I discovered my 6+ wasn't. Tired of taking short Panoramic photos to simulate a widescreen photo.

OreoCookie
Sep 10, 2015, 08:38 AM

I'm really glad I'm due for an upgrade
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I'm really glad I'm due for an upgrade
Has you carrier ended contracts? It might be less expensive to go "off contract" It will be for us to. We have an old 700 minute family plan, no text or data with a smart phone add on. Adding another smart phone would cost $30 a month. If we switch to the new everthing plan off contract w/6GB we will pay $10 a month less than what we pay now for one iPhone/2GB and a feature phone/0GB and per text pricing.
45/47

OreoCookie
Sep 10, 2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Has you carrier ended contracts? It might be less expensive to go "off contract" It will be for us to. We have an old 700 minute family plan, no text or data with a smart phone add on. Adding another smart phone would cost $30 a month. If we switch to the new everthing plan off contract w/6GB we will pay $10 a month less than what we pay now for one iPhone/2GB and a feature phone/0GB and per text pricing.
I've moved back to Japan last month, and all of the phones are locked to a carrier. With no possibility to unlock them. That means I cannot use my iPhone 5, because otherwise it'd be locked forever to that one carrier. (This was also the reason I replaced a Japanese 4S with a used 5 when moving to Canada: I couldn't unlock it for less than $170.) So instead, I'm planning to give myself a treat (I got my first professorship) and get a new phone.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2015, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
In my limited experience with the iPhone 6, the phase-detect auto focus ("focus pixels") pretty much fixed that, and that is the sort of thing I'd expect them to iterate on in a new sensor.
Now that I think about it, this is more of a "macro" problem. Say, I need to take a pic of something post-it note sized.

I open the Camera, subject is more or less in focus.

AF starts pumping like crazy.

After a couple seconds, it will settle, but it's out of focus.

I'll slowly back the camera away to move the focal plane to what I'm taking a picture of.

I've now spent 30 seconds just to file away a post-it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2015, 12:01 PM

I've moved back to Japan last month, and all of the phones are locked to a carrier. With no possibility to unlock them. That means I cannot use my iPhone 5, because otherwise it'd be locked forever to that one carrier. (This was also the reason I replaced a Japanese 4S with a used 5 when moving to Canada: I couldn't unlock it for less than $170.) So instead, I'm planning to give myself a treat (I got my first professorship) and get a new phone.
Just to clarify. I was refering to sudsidised pricing (two year contract) versus full price/instalment payments (no contract). Since you are now in the Land of The Rising Sun, that may not be an option.
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2015, 06:05 AM

So, the yearly plan is about $500 for a 128GB, non-plus model.

I'm torn. I don't like the idea of paying for something which doesn't exist yet, and not being able to give the old phone away makes the cost savings question less simple. I know I'd be paying less overall, but that isn't necessarily the be all, end all.

OreoCookie
Sep 11, 2015, 08:42 PM

Just to clarify. I was refering to sudsidised pricing (two year contract) versus full price/instalment payments (no contract). Since you are now in the Land of The Rising Sun, that may not be an option.
You have two options here: (1) Pay for the phone outright or (2) you divide the price by 24 (= the duration of most contracts) and add x/24 to your phone bill each month. No interest, no nothing. That part is pleasantly straight-forward.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2015, 01:21 AM

So, the yearly plan is about $500 for a 128GB, non-plus model.

I'm torn. I don't like the idea of paying for something which doesn't exist yet, and not being able to give the old phone away makes the cost savings question less simple. I know I'd be paying less overall, but that isn't necessarily the be all, end all.
Apple's yearly upgrade thing includes AppleCare+, too.

I wish it were available here.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2015, 03:10 AM

6s ordered!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2015, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Apple's yearly upgrade thing includes AppleCare+, too.

I wish it were available here.
As I said, it's tempting.

I'm cool with waiting a year on it though.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2015, 12:35 PM

6s ordered!
Me too. It took about 5 minutes, totally effortless via the iPad after setting the alarm to wake at midnight. I first tried from the 5s but could not read the display well enough; perhaps I actually will like the bigger 6s size, we will see. Pickup of the 6s is scheduled for September 25 at a local Apple Store.

-Allen

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2015, 12:47 PM

You have two options here: (1) Pay for the phone outright or (2) you divide the price by 24 (= the duration of most contracts) and add x/24 to your phone bill each month. No interest, no nothing. That part is pleasantly straight-forward.
I'm still under contract with Verizon so I can still get a new contract phone. As I mentioned before, I have to unbunde to get the lower per phone rate. I'll save $40 a month.
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2015, 11:37 PM

While we're waiting for our phones, let's have a Canada vs. Japan grudge match. Where's the better place to live?

andi*pandi
Sep 14, 2015, 11:14 AM

I have no contract, no strings on me. Last time I bought my phone outright and went with Virgin Mobile $30/mo plan. Which has worked out well except travelling to places VM doesn't cover.

Verizon may earn me back.... but $70/mo? is cheapest option? seems steep.

http://buyiphone6.apple.com/compare-iphone-plans/
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Sep 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM. )

OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2015, 10:39 PM

While we're waiting for our phones, let's have a Canada vs. Japan grudge match. Where's the better place to live?
Well, I'm getting twice the salary here in Japan than in Canada, so that's a healthy start. I wouldn't have minded staying in Canada, but career-wise it would have been much harder to get a professorship there (unless I go to a place where I only have to teach). Here in Japan I'm at one of the top research institutions in the country with lots of support from colleagues. (I have an unusually japanophile cv, so I don't have to pretend to be interested in Japan just because the academic job market in Europe and North America are horrible at the moment.)

In both countries, people are impossibly polite (although Japan is more extreme to a fault), Canada has more space (evidently). Comparing cities, that one is easy, Toronto wins here when compared to Sendai, but if you take Fukuoka as a point of comparison, it gets more difficult.

Weather-wise, I think it's a wash: Canada has harsh winters (which I can handle and actually sort of like) much more easily than the humidity and the torrential rains in the summer. Nevertheless, there is something to be said to live in a place where the ocean temperature in early fall is 28 degrees celsius and you can have BBQs at the beach.

Food: Well, that's easy, Japan wins hands down.

Internet-wise, there is no contest: when I was in Japan for the first time, I got stuck with slow internet, a symmetrical (!) 22 MBit/s connection. Now slow internet means 50 MBit/s here and fast is 1 GBit/s (which is what I'm aiming for at my next apartment). Ditto for data allowances on phones, standard contracts give you 5-7 GB per month, but most providers have wireless all over the city, meaning that you use up your allowance much more slowly. In Toronto I had 1 GB per month which was eaten up really quickly by these horrible websites.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 16, 2015, 10:36 AM

I suppose that Apple's thinking is that 3D Touch would be much more practical on the iPhone than the iPod given all the apps that take advantage of the gyroscope+GPS+features not available to the iPod Touch. But... for those of us who refuse to pay $1000 a year to have an extra phone line, I would like to have all of these features on the iPod. It seems rather shortsighted of Apple to refresh their iPods only a month ago without 3D Touch when such technology goes to the iPhone 6s only the one month later.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
I suppose that Apple's thinking is that 3D Touch would be much more practical on the iPhone than the iPod given all the apps that take advantage of the gyroscope+GPS+features not available to the iPod Touch. But... for those of us who refuse to pay $1000 a year to have an extra phone line, I would like to have all of these features on the iPod. It seems rather shortsighted of Apple to refresh their iPods only a month ago without 3D Touch when such technology goes to the iPhone 6s only the one month later.
I think it makes sense to introduce new flagship features on flagship products first, with fanfare.

BTW, I don't know where you live, but here in Germany, a contract over 1 GB LTE data with 100 minutes of voice included is about US$200 per year. Adding an extra 3GB to that brings you up to about $350 per year. (This is on congstar, which is the budget brand of our best cellular provider, Deutsche Telekom, unsubsidised, so bring-your-own-phone.)

It can't be *too* different in the US — Germany has among the highest rates for cellular service in Europe.

You might want to reconsider.

poocat
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2015, 12:09 PM

Anyone gotten an update to their order notification? Mine's still in processing...

Also Japan's the best place to live, as long as work environment's tolerable (i.e. relaxed, for me).
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2015, 01:40 PM

Well, I'm getting twice the salary here in Japan than in Canada, so that's a healthy start. I wouldn't have minded staying in Canada, but career-wise it would have been much harder to get a professorship there (unless I go to a place where I only have to teach). Here in Japan I'm at one of the top research institutions in the country with lots of support from colleagues. (I have an unusually japanophile cv, so I don't have to pretend to be interested in Japan just because the academic job market in Europe and North America are horrible at the moment.)

In both countries, people are impossibly polite (although Japan is more extreme to a fault), Canada has more space (evidently). Comparing cities, that one is easy, Toronto wins here when compared to Sendai, but if you take Fukuoka as a point of comparison, it gets more difficult.

Weather-wise, I think it's a wash: Canada has harsh winters (which I can handle and actually sort of like) much more easily than the humidity and the torrential rains in the summer. Nevertheless, there is something to be said to live in a place where the ocean temperature in early fall is 28 degrees celsius and you can have BBQs at the beach.

Food: Well, that's easy, Japan wins hands down.

Internet-wise, there is no contest: when I was in Japan for the first time, I got stuck with slow internet, a symmetrical (!) 22 MBit/s connection. Now slow internet means 50 MBit/s here and fast is 1 GBit/s (which is what I'm aiming for at my next apartment). Ditto for data allowances on phones, standard contracts give you 5-7 GB per month, but most providers have wireless all over the city, meaning that you use up your allowance much more slowly. In Toronto I had 1 GB per month which was eaten up really quickly by these horrible websites.
All very interesting... thank you!

How would you compare Toronto and Fukuowa? Even though that would be a tough call, I imagine what makes each of these urban centers appeal is radically different.

Also, aren't you a physicist? Is there a japanophile angle to this or are you talking about outside disciplines? What does "colleague support" mean?

(I have no intent of moving to either Canada or Japan, that you could authoritatively compare them piqued my curiosity)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by poocat View Post
Anyone gotten an update to their order notification? Mine's still in processing...

Also Japan's the best place to live, as long as work environment's tolerable (i.e. relaxed, for me).
Nothing yet...

Any trouble "fitting in" in Japan, or are you Japanese?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2015, 01:42 PM

He's an octopus, he'll be fine.

poocat
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2015, 03:15 PM

Not Japanese, haven't lived there since 2003 (but am there roughly 1x per year and have friends still).
In terms of fitting in, well, won't ever "fit in" but feel very comfortable in environments where I don't have to talk to many people, and Japan is built for that. Restaurants that have automated ordering systems, kaiten sushi, and general politeness/privacy means that even though I don't fit in I feel very relaxed when there, because there's little social pressure on me and interruptions are rare.

Definitely not for everyone, but combining that with the incredible infrastructure investment and overall focus on cleanliness, it's a great place for me.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2015, 03:44 PM

Sounds legit. That would actually appeal to me. I've often said if good art didn't require putting myself in uncomfortable situations, I'd be a hermit.

Might as well have good internet at the hermitage.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2015, 04:32 PM

No movement yet. I'd have expected things to be stuck in customs by now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2015, 04:33 PM

I get to wait a month before it becomes available on straightalk, but I'm ok with this.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2015, 05:53 PM

How long of a window do you think you'll have between the straighttalk release and them running out?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 03:50 AM

AppleCare just activated, so I guess that's something. Seems like they're trying to cheese me out of three days worth of coverage, though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2015, 09:28 AM

How long of a window do you think you'll have between the straighttalk release and them running out?
No idea. I'll roll with the punches as they come.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 09:38 AM

Are they going to warn you before they launch or does it happen when it happens?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2015, 09:41 AM

I don't know.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 10:17 AM

That sounds like a no. I was thinking there may be a "click here, and we'll send you an email alert when it becomes available" type dealie.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2015, 10:30 AM

Are they going to warn you before they launch or does it happen when it happens?
That sounds like a no.
I don't think you answered your own question correctly.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 10:48 AM

That sounds like a no [they will not warn you].

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2015, 10:53 AM

I know what you mean, I'm busting your balls.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 11:11 AM

Joke's on you. Those are tentacles.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 05:47 AM

Shipping! Was getting worried there for a second.

Forum Links
Forum Rules