Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > PIN number for Word/Office

PIN number for Word/Office
jretzner
Forum Regular
May 13, 2020, 06:36 PM

When I swapped an SSD drive for a regular hard drive and reloaded my back up, all my apps (e.g. Photoshop) launched with no problems. When I tried to launch Microsoft Word, Excel, etc. I was told I need a six-digit PIN number. I am unable to find such a number in all of my documents related to Microsoft purchases. Everywhere I go on Microsoft Help/Customer Service etc. I am always asked for my six-digit PIN number. I've been using Word since the late 1980s. Can anyone point me to a link that will help me obtain this holy grail? Thanks!

reader50
Administrator
May 13, 2020, 09:14 PM

Having never bought a Microsoft product, I don't have your answer.

But I do suggest you download the open-source LibreOffice in the meantime. It may not be a perfect replacement. But if your work requires *office compatibility, it just might be enough until your PIN problem is solved. Better than being stuck up a tree, while the boss calls every 30 minutes.

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2020, 11:07 PM

I have been using Apple's Pages, which can save work as Word. For me, it's knowing some of the ins and outs of Word, but not being able to access it. That is what has me frustrated.

andi*pandi
May 14, 2020, 01:45 PM

perhaps it is trying to phone home. What version of office was it?

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2020, 12:04 AM

Microsoft seemed to be suggesting I purchase Office 216. for $149.99 I took a leap. The version before that was what had been on the previous HD and re-loaded onto my SSD drive. That's when the first request for a six-digit PIN number was requested and I began asking Microsoft for help. That continues as well with version 2016. I have version 2011 installed, and working, on my older Macbook Air. Might I have begun an account with MIcrosoft at that time and been assigned that number? Whatever the case, I've received no help from them.

andi*pandi
May 15, 2020, 10:48 AM

even after you purchased office 2016? That's a crock right there!

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2020, 01:40 PM

I used a stronger word than crock to express my feelings Is $149.99 the price for a new (not upgrade) of Office?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2020, 01:56 PM

OP - can you upload a screenshot of whatever you were seeing? I'm unfamiliar with the Office installer requiring anything other than either a Microsoft Account or a product key, but I haven't installed Office for Mac in a few years.

As far as your office license goes, I *strongly* recommend you create a Microsoft Account and add your license to your account. This is a failsafe against losing your product key later. It ties your key and license permanently to your MSA so you can retrieve it later at any time.

You might consider Office 365 if you own more than one computer. Yes, it's a subscription, and yes, that means you don't have a permanent (perpetual) license for Office, but the benefits are good for the annual cost.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2020, 12:42 AM

My problem is that I already have a Microsoft account but forgot the 6-digit membership number. I have been unsuccessful in contacting a "human being" at Microsoft to ask how I can retrieve it, or establish a new one. A suggestion re contacting a "human being" on the other end is what I need. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules