Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama, Gay Marriage, Original Sin, Founding Fathers, Catholics, and Pearls

Obama, Gay Marriage, Original Sin, Founding Fathers, Catholics, and Pearls (Page 4)
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I would say that gays would have no more problem with religious people than the rest of us if it weren't for the fact that so many religious people are anti-gay.
There are far fewer "anti-gay" religious people than you might think. The "anti-gay" people are also less religious than you might think. They're guilty of human nature quite simply.
ebuddy

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2012, 08:52 PM

I wasn't trying to imply that all religious people are anti-gay or even that most of them are. I suppose I should have said religions rather than religious people.

I do think the odds of being anti-gay are substantially higher in someone who is religious though. I would not be surprised if most anti-gay people were religious.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I don't think this is accurate. The majority of religious people I know don't hate gays or teach others to hate gays or brain-wash people to hate gays. As I said earlier; religious people are at least as tolerant of gays as gays are of religious people. The reason your sample of respondents (the "people you know" must get tired of all the polling on health care, homosexuality, US vs Canada, etc...) likely remain in the religion is because it doesn't hate them, or teach others to hate them, or brain-wash people to hate them.
They remain religious for the same reason most people remain religious. Early childhood brain washing. That said a article I was reading on CNN from the Black community pointed out that its not just about hate. Its also about saving the souls of gay people. Out of love they oppose it and out of love they fight it to save the souls of fellow brothers so they will have a place with god. So using the word hate is not appropriate. But there is a active role by religion and religious people to prevent it, to change it and it can come across as a hated or as rightly pointed out caring of the well being of gay people. Either way its a force working towards a end which is to end homosexuality and some radicals at all cost. How individual church goers interpret this, either through hatred or love is individual.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

subego
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2012, 01:15 PM

People need to worry more about their own souls.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
People need to worry more about their own souls.
But what if the only way to save your own soul is to offer up others' in exchange?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2012, 01:49 PM

That's my point.

Last time I checked, the exchange rate on a fully gay soul was about twice that of a straight soul. You get more for your dollar by leaving them alone.

I blame Greece.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2012, 08:58 AM

A friend on Facebook linked to this site, and I was astounded by the level of hatred, bigotry, and fear-mongering that could come from an influential "expert" that is referenced by such influential conservative groups as the Family Research Council and American Family Association: Paul Cameron suggests Obama is gay, demands gays be imprisoned before they rape kids – LGBTQ Nation

Mark my words clearly; the long term goal of the homosexual movement is to get every little boy to grab his ankles and every little girl to give it a try. They will not rest until every one of our children at least gets to try, has the opportunity and maybe is forced to at least once experience homosexual acts. There is no retreating from that, they made it very clear earlier on—now they don’t take about it—but that’s what they want, they will not be happy until they get it, marriage is just a step along the way.
Cameron later said he “partially agreed” with a caller who said, “they gave blacks equal rights and that was a bad path and now look where we are, if I don’t feel like I want to hire a black man for my business I’m in all sorts of trouble and now it’s going to be some homo who is gonna have to get a job because I can’t do nothing about it.”

Cameron claimed the push for LGBT equality “brings into question the civil rights mentality” because it created “special rights on the basis of certain characteristics,” calling gays and lesbians “mentally deranged” and transgender people “people that are really strange.” He went on to compare gays and lesbians to people who have a sexual attraction to “dirty socks” and said “we’re headed to a place where the weirder the people, the more rights they will obtain and the more normal the fewer rights you will have”
Yes but the Christian Church for almost 2000 years said we will protect the rest of society from these miscreants and we will be kind to those who come to us individually and say ‘help me blah blah blah’ and that’s fine. I hear Christian spokespersons saying things like ‘we must be kind to the homosexuals because we must get them to come to church and listen to us and maybe they’ll convert,’ good luck! Sometimes that happens but you’re really running a very bad bet and you’re going way outside of mainstream Christian history.
That's right: he openly advocated being unkind to gays. And notice he is openly contemptuous of gays who ask for "help." They are irredeemable miscreants.

So now I've moved the AFA and FRC from the "misinformed" column to the "deliberately evil" column.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2012, 02:34 PM

I'm with you lpkmckenna. The fringy anti-gay stuff that has been appearing lately makes me want to puke. Just when I think we have evolved a little I'm reminded that there are still knuckle draggers.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 16, 2012, 02:35 PM

I think they know the battle is lost and they're going out in one big explosion of hate.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2012, 02:49 PM

Don't you sheeple get it?

They're going to make us like... become like... Europe.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2012, 03:00 PM

Its pronounced "Yurp"
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2012, 03:51 PM

I think this summarizes exactly why the religious condemnation of gays is so friggin' stupid:

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 04:01 PM

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 04:32 PM

45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2012, 04:34 PM

That is really so far below worth posting.

andi*pandi
May 21, 2012, 04:37 PM

The "reporter" is a stunt jockey. Smith showed restraint letting him kiss his cheeks and hug him, the guy should not have gone for the mouth, but Smith should not have slapped him (however very slight it might have been).

Less a homophobe and more a celeb/paparazzi clash.

gradient
Mac Elite
May 21, 2012, 05:03 PM

I'm sure that there are plenty of openly gay men who would have slapped that guy as well. Violating someone's personal space like that is never acceptable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Question: If the answer is yes, what are we supposed to take away from this?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Question: If the answer is yes, what are we supposed to take away from this?
Chongo's feeling of not being paid attention to?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The "reporter" is a stunt jockey. Smith showed restraint letting him kiss his cheeks and hug him, the guy should not have gone for the mouth, but Smith should not have slapped him (however very slight it might have been).

If a chick had been kissed on the mouth and she slapped the reporter it would be a non-issue.

Moral: Don't kiss people on the mouth without consent, it's rude in many circles and there are big hygiene issues involved.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2012, 09:43 PM

All you guys that think that objecting to a stranger kissing you on the mouth is a sign of being a homophobe should just f&*K off. Seriously.

-t

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
All you guys that think that objecting to a stranger kissing you on the mouth is a sign of being a homophobe should just f&*K off. Seriously.

-t
Chongo posts the Will Smith video. 6 posts follow. NONE of which say anything even remotely about Will Smith being a "homophobe" because of his actions in that incident. Yet you apparently feel the need to unleash some completely unwarranted hostility. Odd ... to say the least.

OAW

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2012, 12:17 AM

Can only assume that Turtle's post is directed at Chongo?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
May 22, 2012, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If a chick had been kissed on the mouth and she slapped the reporter it would be a non-issue.

Moral: Don't kiss people on the mouth without consent, it's rude in many circles and there are big hygiene issues involved.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2012, 06:18 AM

Does this make Will Smith a "homophobe"
No.

Does asking such a question make Chongo a fool?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
No.

Does asking such a question make Chongo a fool?
No. Will Smith was very pissed and stated "he's lucky I didn't cold cock him" He must be afraid of something. He could have just pushed him away, instead he chose to backhand him. If that had been Dennis Miller ya'll been screamin' homophobe.
45/47

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2012, 06:48 PM

strawman

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
strawman
Nell, vato, es puro verdad.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2012, 08:48 PM

I think it's impolite to kiss someone if they're not into it, but I think it's less polite to backhand someone if they aren't into it.

Not all too concerned about health issues. I'm fairly confident most people with hepatitis curb their inner kissing bandit.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2012, 08:59 PM

Just watched "Law and Order, SVU" episode on USA entitled: "Lowdown" Maybe Will Smith had that in mind.
( Last edited by Chongo; May 22, 2012 at 09:08 PM. )
45/47

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

.... Im bi, and if some dude tried to plant a kiss on me like that I would have knocked the mofo out. Nothing homophobic about it. Unwanted kisses and sexual touching from a stranger is going to create a reaction regardless of sex. Will should have shown more restraint and not slapped the dude though.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 05:48 AM

He must be afraid of something.
Says you.
He could have just pushed him away, instead he chose to backhand him.
It makes no difference.
If that had been Dennis Miller ya'll been screamin' homophobe.
Wrong as usual.

What is it with conservatives on this board always, always stuffing words in other people's mouths?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2012, 07:37 AM

Um... isn't it relatively customary in Russia to express great admiration and respect for someone by kissing them once on each cheek? This is a fairly common expression of friendship among males abroad. I saw no "going after the lips".

Is Will Smith a homophobe? I don't know, but he certainly seemed to overreact here.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2012, 08:20 AM

Um... isn't it relatively customary in Russia to express great admiration and respect for someone by kissing them once on each cheek? This is a fairly common expression of friendship among males abroad. I saw no "going after the lips".

Is Will Smith a homophobe? I don't know, but he certainly seemed to overreact here.
I'm trying to figure out the whole point of this Will Smith conversation. How does it relate to the conversation about Obama's position on gay marriage? Is it because Chongo has found 1 black guy who reacted strongly to a reporter's forceful kiss on each cheek and that somehow means that the *entire* black community is going to react similarly to Obama's position on gay marriage?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2012, 09:10 AM

Nell, vato, es puro verdad.
Oh good, as if Chongo's english posts weren't hard enough to decipher.

No. Will Smith was very pissed and stated "he's lucky I didn't cold cock him" He must be afraid of something. He could have just pushed him away, instead he chose to backhand him. If that had been Dennis Miller ya'll been screamin' homophobe.
So, let me attempt to understand what's going on here...

1. You post a video of Will Smith pushing away a stranger who is trying to kiss him and ask if he's a homophobe
2a. If the answer is yes ????
2b. If the answer is no and you're a pro-gay marriage liberal, you are obviously a hypocrite as if this was Dennis Miller instead you would most definitely call him a homophobe because he is white and conservative (Says Chongo's crystal ball)
3. Therefore, gay mariage and/or Obama are wrong/doomed.
4. Shit gets said in another language

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 09:46 AM

The Will Smith episode, as has already been pointed out, has nothing to do with the subject at hand, and just because it's a common expression of males abroad, doesn't mean it's appropriate. Will Smith isn't Russian, and this appears to me to be more of a stunt, as others have also already pointed out. Smith was perfectly within his rights to react the way he did, but it still has nothing to do with the matter at hand, except to divert attention.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 01:39 PM

It does some what, Will Smith spoke out in support of Obama with regards to gay marriage. And his opinion is a very fair opinion, about as fair as you can get from a heterosexual person. I quote " “if anybody can find someone to love them and to help them through this difficult thing that we call life, I support that in any shape or form.” and it really does come down to that. Personal happiness and support. As for the focus on the slap, really its a who cares issue. Most of us would react similar when a stranger attempts to kiss you on the lips. Kissing on the cheeks is common in many places of the world and at worse Will is guilty of cultural ignorance if it was just a attempt to kiss on the cheeks. Watching the video it really looks like an attempt to plant one on the lips had Will not resisted. It came to light its part of that reporters act to kiss people on the lips so its fair to assume that was the intent. I don't see anything homophobic about what WIll did.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2012, 01:43 PM

Side question:

Is the dual cheek kiss supposed to be lip to cheek? I've always seen it (and done it) cheek to cheek but with kissy sound.

Edit: maybe one corner of your lip to cheek, but 99% of what's in contact is cheek.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2012, 02:27 PM

Side question:

Is the dual cheek kiss supposed to be lip to cheek? I've always seen it (and done it) cheek to cheek but with kissy sound.

Edit: maybe one corner of your lip to cheek, but 99% of what's in contact is cheek.
Side answer:
I speculate that it was originally lip to cheek, but evolved to be cheek to cheek with kissy sounds to be more acceptable across multiple cultures.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2012, 02:53 PM

I was thinking that, but wouldn't you have to crane your neck all weird too?

When I see grandmas do it to their grandchildren, they usually lock the kid's skull in a vise-like grip and adjust the targets to be straight on.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2012, 02:54 PM

And, isn't there supposed to be something mutual about it (with adults)? You're kissing each other, not one person kissing another.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2012, 03:05 PM

And, isn't there supposed to be something mutual about it (with adults)? You're kissing each other, not one person kissing another.
Maybe if you're a homophobe.

gradient
Mac Elite
May 23, 2012, 03:11 PM

For the record, it's certainly possible to be homophobic yet still support same-sex marriage.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
For the record, it's certainly possible to be homophobic yet still support same-sex marriage.
But then what straws will Chongo have left to grasp?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 03:27 PM

Will Smith is a Germaphobe. He is afraid of Germans.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
I highly doubt that

gradient
Mac Elite
May 23, 2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I highly doubt that
Politicians, or anyone else in the public eye, routinely lend their public support to legislation and/or campaigns of one type or another that they don't personally believe in for the sake of public image and career trajectory.

Aside from that, don't you believe that there are people out there who are able, despite their personal emotional reaction(s), to err on the side of logic and common sense/decency even if they never truly feel at peace with it? I think there are probably a lot of self-aware homophobes in the world who "feel" like homosexuality is wrong even though the logical part of their brain has deduced that it isn't.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I highly doubt that
It's easy if they hate marriage too

gradient
Mac Elite
May 23, 2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
It's easy if they hate marriage too
Well played.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 08:12 PM

Are the homosexuals who oppose same sex unions self loathing homophobes?
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules