Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > The MacNN Podcast, episode 42: the most beautiful one in our history

The MacNN Podcast, episode 42: the most beautiful one in our history
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 24, 2015, 02:12 AM

Episode 42 is, first and foremost, a gorgeous-sounding episode. It features Mike and Charles, a good connection, and a fair amount to talk about even in a slow news week. As is the norm with these two, they wander around to various topics, but among the things that are for sure discussed in the repairability (or rather, the lack of it) in the Apple Pencil (and whether anyone should care), what's up with MacUpdate.com, and more.

We also discuss a couple of recent features that have run on MacNN, including the "Five Reasons to Switch to Windows" and "Five Reasons to Switch to Mac" essays, the analysis we did on whether a possible "convergence" of OS X and iOS is a good or terrible idea, the release of Quicken 2016 for Mac, and of course we had some fun with Sir Jonathan Ive's "smooth operator" voiceovers for the company's promotional videos. He should be a full-time VO guy. He'd make the most beautiful introduction for the podcast in the history of Apple. We know he would. Show notes after the player.

01:06 – We kick off chatting about the latest rumors that we want to like, but are a little skeptical about. The first one is the story that Apple is making a special four-inch iPhone (like the iPhone 5/5c/5s) to sell to ... someone. Developing markets? People with small hands? Instant nostalgia hipsters? Not sure. Rumors are all over the place on this, but we think it's possible Apple will soup up the iPhone 5s a bit to make it a popular option without too much penalty for not being an iPhone 6 or later. There's also the lack of some playful apps for the iPad Pro,

08:46 – Tim Cook says there won't be a "converged" device running both iOS and OS X or some weird fusion of the two, and we breathe a sigh of relief. But there are some reasons why you might want something like that -- and we explore those. We talk a bit also about how Apple has often prepared for contingencies and other shifts in the market, and what that could bring us in future years. At the same time, we bemoan some recent bone-headed mistakes the company has made, mostly in software or execution (like the "expired certificate" fiasco).

24:00 – The Apple Pencil is unrepairable! Is that bad? Is it even relevant? It should be unsurprising to most people who've ever studied some basic engineering, but iFixit at least is shocked -- shocked, we tell you! -- that you can mod out the Apple Pencil -- or even open it without breaking it -- but the odds that you'll ever need to are perishingly low. Oh sure, you'll need to buy a few replacement caps because you are going to lose at least one or two of those, but otherwise we think this thing's a little bit of Star Trek in your hands.

32:19 – We noticed -- along with some readers and malware sites -- that our old buddies MacUpdate.com were adding the dreaded "optional installs" to the download files for non-members. We spoke to the founder of the site to get some info on what is really going on, and found a service that understands its role in the Mac community -- but has to find a way to keep the lights on, like the rest of us.

45:10 – Five reasons to switch to ... what?! We recently ran a two-part series on valid reasons why someone might choose Windows over Mac, and vice versa. The point of the series -- other than exploring how compelling those reasons might be -- was to get people to think in less "absolutist" terms about computers and computer users, even if all Windows PC users are of course wrong. See what we did there?

48:21 – If you thought that last topic got short shrift, the news that Quicken 2016 (the football) is now out from Intuit (Lucy) to tempt you (Charlie Brown) once again gets an even shorter spotlight. We just can't figure out why Intuit is so dead-set against making a version for Mac that is on par with its Windows offering. Doesn't seem to have hurt Microsoft -- or Adobe -- or any of the other big software players, so what's the freakin' deal, Intuit? We wish we knew, but at least this latest one promises its the "most compatible yet," with really isn't saying a lot.

49:58 – And finally, we have our App of the Week with William Gallagher. Or actually, his wife Angela. If she can take a break from the game she's -- no? Oh well apparently this week's App review will have to be a second-party look at the program that has captured her and all her spare time or ability to speak.

The MacNN Podcast can be found every Monday (barring holidays) here at MacNN, on its RSS feed, or you can subscribe via iTunes. We're also now on YouTube.

The MacNN Podcast is copyright 2015 by MNM Media, with all rights reserved. Opinions expressed by the hosts or guests of the podcast may not reflect the opinions or views of MNM Media, its sites, or advertisers. Original music by Bradley McBurney. Comments and feedback are welcome at our Tips email address.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Nov 25, 2015, 07:38 PM

re: small format iPhone

I just don't get you guys on this. You seriously don't see how many people want a FULL POWERED iPhone the size of an iPod Touch or iPhone 5s? Why do you think it's such a small market segment... for the same reason Apple seems to? (ie: big ones are selling well... so people must like big? what choice is there? There isn't a small option!!!) This IS NOT about a budget phone! It's about ergonomics!

And, why wouldn't they do an A9? Because they are stupid? OK, then I agree. Otherwise, why not? Do you seriously think the only markets are iPod touch and petite people? Come on.

Why not make a full-featured 4" iPhone and sell it for the exact same prices as the 6s? For all we know, it might outsell the 6s.

re: Tim's remarks and convergence

Again, this is about UX and ergonomics. Even if they added mouse support to iOS, a real file-file system, and it became as powerful as a Macbook Pro, it still wouldn't be as good of an experience as a laptop. You have to 'hack' some kind of stand which would be really hard to be as stable as a laptop, say when you're using it on your lap. And, there's no point to touch screen at that point. Unless you rarely need to use it like a laptop, a laptop is better.

Likewise, if you need a mobile, touch device, all of that extra stuff is a bit of a pain to have attached and lug along.

re: watch the future of the phone

What have we learned from bigger iPhones? On the one hand, you're arguing there is no need for a smaller iPhone, but then arguing people will replace their phone with an itty-bitty watch screen? Even if they could pack a whole iPhone into a watch, it's going to be for a niche group or people who are willing to put up with the extreme limitations and awkwardness to not have to carry a phone.

For a LONG time, we're going to have phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop categories. That's not so much a technology limitation, as it is a UX and ergonomics one. All the blends and other categories are compromises for niche uses.

re: Surface Pro

While I haven't used one yet, how are they solid machines? Just that there is now enough performance to pull it off? What would you use one for? Die-hard Windows users who want a tablet-like access to Windows? Yuck! That's like having a blend of Android issues with a far more sub-par UI (mobile access cobbled onto a desktop OS). OK, I guess there is a market for it, but so was there for older Windows... that doesn't mean it was good or a good experience. (ie: Microsoft hasn't finally done it.)

re: culture at Apple

Bingo! They have forgotten (or are disregarding?) their former UI principals on the design side. They've lost most of their core Unix OS X folks (who made OS X what it once was). They are starting to chase some bad consumer market trends. They are starting to put fashion over good, solid design. They are starting to put profits AHEAD of product excellence.

This is in addition to the boneheaded moves! It's more than slipping up... it's a combo of growth problems AND rot at the core that needs to be eradicated and corrected.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 25, 2015, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
re: small format iPhone

I just don't get you guys on this. You seriously don't see how many people want a FULL POWERED iPhone the size of an iPod Touch or iPhone 5s? Why do you think it's such a small market segment... for the same reason Apple seems to? (ie: big ones are selling well... so people must like big? what choice is there? There isn't a small option!!!) This IS NOT about a budget phone! It's about ergonomics!
Nope, I totally get it. I just think that if it was a priority, and the market was speaking like we, as in you and I, want it to, then they'd have done this already. Likewise, if the market spoke loud enough, we'd still have iWeb, iPhoto, et al.

And, why wouldn't they do an A9? Because they are stupid? OK, then I agree. Otherwise, why not? Do you seriously think the only markets are iPod touch and petite people? Come on.
Market differentiation. The little phone has the little processor. The big phone has the big one.

I don't want a 6 or +. I really like my 5c, and I said in a previous episode that I would begrudgingly go to the larger size.

re: Surface Pro

While I haven't used one yet, how are they solid machines? Just that there is now enough performance to pull it off? What would you use one for? Die-hard Windows users who want a tablet-like access to Windows? Yuck! That's like having a blend of Android issues with a far more sub-par UI (mobile access cobbled onto a desktop OS). OK, I guess there is a market for it, but so was there for older Windows... that doesn't mean it was good or a good experience. (ie: Microsoft hasn't finally done it.)
The Surface Pro is mechanically and electrically engineered very well -- its not a knockoff $100 tablet at WalMart. I wasn't really speaking about Windows itself, which has its place.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Nov 26, 2015, 02:39 AM

Mike, I read Apple forums all over the Net, and on every article that mentions phone sizes or the possibility of a 5s sized phone... the comments go wild with people practically begging Apple for one.

One would *think* they did good market research... but, as I've come to realize.... I'd *think* Apple would be doing a lot of stuff smarter than they currently are. And, since they've never offered that size again since they brought out bigger models, we don't really know which would sell better or how many want a smaller size.

I also don't see why the bigger screen should equal more powerful processor (aside from the need to drive more pixels). That's exactly what I'm arguing they shouldn't do. If you make the smaller model a more limited model (or missing features, etc.) of course it isn't going to sell as well as the flagship. Self-fulfilling prophecy!

re: iWeb - NASTY product... I'm actually glad it's gone. (As a web designer, I've actually had to deal with some of those sites.)

re: iPhoto - Another good example of.... what the heck were they thinking?
------
Steve Wilkinson
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2015, 03:49 AM

I think you have to bear in mind that comments on forums represent maybe 0.01 percent of actual Apple customers. I remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth for many years, pleading for a mini-tower, expandable Mac Pro. And then they got one -- nearly every part is replaceable, including the processor! -- and when was the last time you heard about it?

I personally think there is a sizable niche market for the four inch smartphone market that Apple could capture with an refreshed 5s -- which is sort of proven by the fact that the 5s is still available and still is one of, I would guess, the top five most popular brands of smartphones -- but there is likewise the argument that (pretty obviously) many customers prefer a larger phone, the iPhone 6 and 6s lines have taken the iPhones popularity up to a whole new level.

What we were saying in the podcast isn't that a refreshed four-inch iPhone isn't a fine idea, it's just that the market for it is kind of nebulous, and not as large as we might think it is. To put this another way, when you're a power-nerd, the Linux camp looks like the third-largest desktop operating system on Earth (which might even be technically true) -- but then you look at real-world use measurements, and it's at maybe two percent.

Moral of the story -- a lot of noise about something doesn't necessarily equal genuine grassroots support for it. You can be Apple has very detailed stats on who is still buying four-inch iPhones (because they are still selling them) and why.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Dec 7, 2015, 01:26 AM

@ Charles Martin -
If Apple is doing good research into phone sizes, I suppose that is one thing. But, if they are looking at 5s sales, that number would be greatly under-estimated, as most people are going to go for a current model, even if they'd rather have a smaller size.

It's kind of like the iPad mini. It has a big demand, even though it's not optimal. But, at least Apple hasn't ditched the optimal size. With phones, they have. The lineup certainly should have bigger sizes, but I think it also needs to have an optimal size option. (And, if so, it doesn't much matter how many percent that option sells, so long as it isn't too minuscule. I'm pretty sure it's not.)

re: Mac Pro - Are you referring to the current Mac Pro? It isn't really what many of the Pros wanted. To the extent we're not hearing more about it, probably means they've moved on or given up/in and are just dealing with it. It's a nice prosumer machine, but a bit overpriced. It does fit a certain niche of pros (audio/video editors... maybe), but a lot of pros also need card slots. Storage isn't the only issue.

(A friend who works with a few such studios told me that many have switched to Windows... are hanging onto their old Mac Pros... or a few have even built hackintoshes. The GPUs are the big sore point.. both in number, un-upgradability, and lack of CUDA support. Maybe they are working around that last one by now?)
------
Steve Wilkinson
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules