Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 12 867 or 1GHz

Powerbook 12 867 or 1GHz
seventn
Feb 13, 2004, 10:08 PM

I'm sure it's been discussed but can't find anything about it.

I have found what I think is a great deal. A Powerbook 12" 867 brand new for 1250.00.

Is is this a good deal? Is it worth it or should I get the DVI 1GHz model?

I don't need the fastest machine...but was alomost thinking of getting 12" Ibook G4...

thanks

srviratamnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 10:40 PM

That is a decent deal. I bought an Apple refurb 867 for $1399 about six months ago and love it. It seems pretty fast for me and I don't have any need for the DVI. Whether you want the extra speed depends on the extra price I guess. You'll love the portability of the 12" either way you go...

seventn  (op)
Feb 16, 2004, 11:51 AM

Are you guys happy with your rev A 12' Powerbooks???

Turns out I can get a new boxed for 1050.00us

Why can't this model accept 1gig RAM chips?

thanks

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 12:59 PM

Don't know anything about the RAM, but I have a maxed-out Rev A 12-in PB and love it. Have had it a year and a few days. No problems (except one of the feet coming off and Apple just sent me new ones last week). It's a great little machine and is used daily.

Got it with Airport Extreme. Makes it very handy, as the other computers are in our basement.

webb3201
Senior User
Feb 16, 2004, 01:14 PM

Very happy with my machine. Been running like a champ since I grabbed it in July. I do miss a few things about my TI, but that is me (not any systemic problems).

You can use a 1gig ram stick in the machine. They were not around when Apple first released the machine. If you can afford the cost, grab a stick. (If I am wrong on this let me know)

k
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 02:14 PM

FWIW I have a revB and love it. Put at least a 512mb in it. It will make a huge difference in performance! I'm running with 768MB.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 02:34 PM

I dont really know what your going to be using it for, but if its between an iBook and a Powerbook I would always go with the Powerbook, but then again the old rev a PB and the new iBook g4 are almost the same computer with the iBook having a better graphics card and no audio in line. The only plus sides I see for the PB is of course the keyboard (PB just blows the iBook's away), built in bluetooth, audio in, multiple screens (without a hack), and the aluminum finish which looks alot better then the white iBook, but everything else seems to be the same (ie. cache, processor speed is just about the same, max ram). Im sure I just added confusion but if it were me, I would get the PB rev b if it is indeed in your price range (dont forget to add the cost of aftermarket add ons such as AE and RAM), but for 1050 that looks like a deal not worth passing up.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 09:28 PM

I hated the 867 I had. The lack of cache made it sluggish at some things and I didn't like the heat.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
I hated the 867 I had. The lack of cache made it sluggish at some things and I didn't like the heat.
I fully agree.

The 867MHz feels rather sluggish compared to my 1GHz and it's a whole much hotter.

I'd get the 1GHz model if you can afford it somehow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules