Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP LaserJet 3200 and OSX x86 woes

HP LaserJet 3200 and OSX x86 woes
mduell
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 06:37 PM

I have:
Core Duo iMac running 10.4.6
HP LaserJet 3200 on USB
HP LaserJet 3200 Printing software CD for OS8/9/X

I want:
To be able to print complete documents.

I have tried:
Using the HPLJ3200 driver included with the OS: printing results in nothing happening; no flashing lights, no warming up, no messages on the printer. As if it's not even plugged in.

Using the HP LJ 4 series gimp-print v5.0.0-beta2 driver: pages 1 through N-1 of an N page document print fine. Printer says "Printing Document" and green status light flashes forever, as if it's waiting for the computer to finish sending page N. Print queue is empty after printing page N-1. Page N comes out when next document is printed, which is of course also missing its last page.

Using the HP LJ III series gimp-print v5.0.0-beta2 driver: prints a few pages of garbage/nonsense symbols, then prints the rest of the document except for the last page. Same as above w/r/t status indicator/lights/final page with next document.

Using the HP LJ 5 series gimp-print v5.0.0-beta2 driver: pages 1 through N-1 pages of the document, then the printer acts like it normally would when it's done; no indication that my final page will ever come, but the final page does come at the beginning of the next print job.

Using the HP LJ 6 series gimp-print v5.0.0-beta2 driver: Same as 4 series gimp-print.

Using the HP LJ 4 Plus driver: prints one page of garbage/nonsense symbols, error on printer says "W2 Invalid Pers".

Using the generic postscript printer driver: One page with some series of numbers on it, followed by blank pages until I cancel printing on the printer.

Installing software off the HP CD: installs several PPC and Classic apps, as well as a StartupItem; does nothing ostensibly useful and slows the machine to a crawl.

It seems like the gimp-print drivers are my best hope, but they all lack something to kick that last page out.

Any ideas?

edit: Trying all those different drivers was based on suggestions and success stories in other forums.

I have called:
HP tech support: sent out the driver CD, otherwise useless.
AppleCare: "it should work", suggested buying a new printer from the supported printer list (which the HPLJ3200 is on).
( Last edited by mduell; May 8, 2006 at 06:47 PM. )

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 06:55 PM

Another few tries:

HPIJS/Foomatic driver for the HPLJ3200: Same as HP LJ 4 series gimp-print v5.0.0-beta2 driver.

HPIJS/Foomatic driver for generic PCL 6 printer and for HP LaserJet 4 series: Same as other HPIJS driver.

OreoCookie
May 8, 2006, 07:06 PM

First of all, have you tried the latest drivers from HP's homepage? (According to the homepage, these are already universal binaries.)

According to linuxprint.org, only the LJ3200m is a Postscript printer. So what model do you have, m or non-m?

Then double-check that the latest drivers are used and then try again … does that work now?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 07:13 PM

HP has no MacOS drivers for the LJ3200 available for download. I have the CD dated 22 Mar 2001 that was available ~1 month ago.

I have the non-m, non-postscript version. Thus when I try postscript drivers, all I get is a bit of postscript info and blank pages.

Ooh, on this page, which I last checked mid-April, they have a download posted 20 Apr 2006. I'll try it.

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 07:18 PM

Go figure, the installer for the Universal Binary is PowerPC only, and hangs.

Force quitting it causes activity monitor to hang with the eternal beachball.

Finder is now completely useless also.
( Last edited by mduell; May 8, 2006 at 07:29 PM. )

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 07:26 PM

I went to force quit activity monitor, and then the installer suddenly pops up "Done!"

Reinstall printer, use HPLJ3200 driver, get nothing but postscript garbage and blank pages from the printer.

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 07:36 PM

Reboot, reinstall HP universal binary app, runs fine, reinstall printer, print: page of postscript garbage, then blank pages.

There is no installable option for postscript vs non-postscript model, installed memory is set correctly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules