Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Fat chicks

Fat chicks (Page 2)
Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Lest you go on accusing me of being a fatty, I could stand to lose 20 pounds or so (I'm around 200 lbs at an inch or two under 6 feet), but I'm not crazy out of control fat either.
I could do with losing 20 myself. Ain't been on the treadmill lately.

I also have a very big penis.
Dude! Nobody needs to know about the contents of your top drawer.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2010, 04:43 PM

Yes, but what I have heard is that even if you don't eat more than a cracker or two a day or something, it is so incredibly physically difficult to lose weight beyond your set point and to keep things that way.
You mean it's physically difficult to keep exercising when your body tells you to rest, or to keep moderating your diet when your body tells you you're hungry. All the set point is is your body telling you these things, it's still up to your brain whether you decide to cave in or ignore it. Fat people either have weaker wills or stronger urges (in this balancing act).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2010, 04:54 PM

Yes, but what I have heard is that even if you don't eat more than a cracker or two a day or something, it is so incredibly physically difficult to lose weight beyond your set point and to keep things that way.
Not really.

In fact at such a low calorie intake, your body will probably go into starvation mode; your metabolic rate will drap dramatically and you'll probably start breaking down muscle mass for energy. It's not healthy for you. On the other hand, if you're eating several hundred calories per day less than what you're burning, then physics demands that the rest comes from somewhere. A fitness trainer with a knowledge of biochemistry would be able to tell you how to ensure that your body uses stored fat to provide the remaining energy (and not other sources like the aforementioned muscle).

The fact is, everyone has the same problem: as you lower your calorie intake, you eventually "plateau" with your corresponding weight loss (body fat % or whatever) because your body adjusts its metabolism downward accordingly.

Increasing your metabolic activity via exercise is the only effective way through this problem AFAIK.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Dude! Nobody needs to know about the contents of your top drawer.

Nobody needs to know about you being rich either!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2010, 09:53 PM

For the vast majority of us, all you have to do is stop stuffing your face, and you will magically lose weight.

But this is something you have to learn through experience. For example, if I skip dinner for the next 2 nights, I'll get better ab definition. If I eat desert every night for a week, I'll lose definition and get "fat."

I would imagine that if I ate desert (or took extra helpings of food) every day a week for my whole life, I'd probably be a fat bastard.

Your weight, just like everything else in life, is about the daily choices you make.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
When are we getting back to the fat chicks?

{quick trip to google images}

Never mind.
You want fat chicks? I can show you fat chicks. But people wouldn't be too happy with me if I did.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
But this is something you have to learn through experience. For example, if I skip dinner for the next 2 nights, I'll get better ab definition. If I eat desert every night for a week, I'll lose definition and get "fat."
That's not the greatest advice - skipping meals usually leads to engorging, and also slows your metabolism. Skipping the dessert and eating smaller meals more frequently with routine exercise does the trick for most people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules