Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 4 8 15 16 23 42

4 8 15 16 23 42 (Page 17)
Cold Warrior
May 26, 2010, 11:38 PM

In the last two days, I've watched the finales of both Lost and 24. Totally different. In broad terms Lost left me with a sentiment of thankfully this is finally over. It was awful, and it was a disservice to a series that was so much in the beginning and decided to boil it all down to They're Dead. 24 on the other hand was it's over? Too bad, Jack is a badass.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2010, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Lost Finale Explained Well!

Bad Robot: Suck it science!
From someone who claims that they are associated with BR. There's no real proof to that claim.

Its full of theories that are dictated in the post as if they were facts of the canon but that is about it. I don't buy its was written by anyone who was in on the development of the show. It has some certainly possible explanations for fans who want to buy into them but hardly does anything to make the finale suck less or bring the closure some people wanted.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2010, 01:51 AM

Finally saw it after having been out of town...

Why was I led to believe that the island was really the main character for five seasons, and suddenly it turns out to have been inconsequential? I don't guess I'm entirely disappointed by the finale. I just wish Jacob's importance, MiB's importance, and the freaking island's importance didn't turn out to be sub-plots.

Notes:

1. I must be the only person here that actually liked Jack. It's too bad his "I died too" line kind of...sucked.
2. I also enjoyed the little cut-backs as everyone touched the person they loved, especially Charlie/Claire, Sawyer/Juliette, Jack/Kate. I had already spent my time choked up over Jin/Sun a few episodes ago (definitely two of my favorite characters).
3. There was no way to make everyone happy. Actually, there probably wasn't a way to make even 50% of the viewers happy. Everyone has their own hang-ups concerning the series, and the writers wrote themselves into an impossible situation.

Overall, I'm satisfied, even if every question wasn't answered. Now I have to find something else to watch.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; May 27, 2010 at 02:32 AM. )

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 27, 2010, 08:13 AM

How LOST should have ended:

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2010, 08:32 AM

Finally got around to watching it as well.

Reaction:
meh. it was pretty much what I was expecting and my expectations for Lost had gotten really low over the last 2 seasons. It clarified for me that the writers had no really plan for the story, were just making up sh*t as they went along and didn't really feel like they wanted/needed to figure out all the loose ends they left along the way that needed tying. Lost has become the reason why I will never get invested in another tv show with a multi-season-spanning story arc.

Alternate reality = prologue = wtf?
For me, the alternate reality/purgatory ended up being a prologue/reunion episode that they decided to spread across the entire season. It served zero purpose to the telling of what was happening in the real world, and yet they devoted a serious chunk of season 6 to it.

Coming this fall:
The Adventures of Hurley and Ben

andi*pandi
May 27, 2010, 12:42 PM

Agreed, Jawbone and WiskedJak. They made the main plot pointless.

If JJAbrams vision of the end all along was that they were going to be in Purgatory, it makes it even more obnoxious that they claimed early on Purgatory was wrong. It also makes it more annoying that they didn't plan the plot better.

That dog gif is awesome.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 27, 2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
2. I also enjoyed the little cut-backs as everyone touched the person they loved, especially Charlie/Claire, Sawyer/Juliette, Jack/Kate. I had already spent my time choked up over Jin/Sun a few episodes ago (definitely two of my favorite characters).
Really? It felt like an incomprehensible clip show. After the 3rd or 4th I just wanted them to end so I could just get to the survivors' reaction.

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Alternate reality = prologue = wtf?
For me, the alternate reality/purgatory ended up being a prologue/reunion episode that they decided to spread across the entire season. It served zero purpose to the telling of what was happening in the real world, and yet they devoted a serious chunk of season 6 to it.
It served the purpose of avoiding answering questions. At least that's what it felt like.

I think the real reason they did it was to have a replacement for the S1-3 flashbacks and S4 flashforwards.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Agreed, Jawbone and WiskedJak. They made the main plot pointless.

If JJAbrams vision of the end all along was that they were going to be in Purgatory, it makes it even more obnoxious that they claimed early on Purgatory was wrong. It also makes it more annoying that they didn't plan the plot better.

That dog gif is awesome.
Them ending up together shows that what they did earned them the right to pass on together. If anything, it strengthened the reason why they were in the church together.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2010, 01:00 AM

Guys, you are all getting caught up in details and the scenery. The island was not important. It was just the setting for the story which was a human drama about trials of life, faith, falling from "grace" and redemption. BSG was also a human drama with similar themes.

All of these shows are written by humans, for humans to entertain us and make us think about the human condition. If you get distracted by the background events then you missed the entire point of those shows. Basically every story that there is to tell has been told so many times before. The only thing that changes with each retelling are the names, places and unimportant details.

In the last episode, the character Desmond Hume was trying to explain to Jack, and by extension to the audience, that none of that stuff on the island mattered in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sorry if some of you are disappointed by this because it conflicts with your world view but it seems that the actors involved in the show were satisfied by the ending.

PS. The creators/writers of the show explained that what happened on the island actually happened while the alternate timeline did not.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Guys, you are all getting caught up in details and the scenery. The island was not important. It was just the setting for the story which was a human drama about trials of life, faith, falling from "grace" and redemption. BSG was also a human drama with similar themes.
Clearly. The ending basically said that this story wasn't about an island with mystical properties or a mysterious organization attempting to mine those mystical properties. It was about the after-death reunion of a bunch of people who shared an intense experience. The Island, Dharma, Jacob and Smokey were just incidental.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2010, 01:32 AM

Guys, you are all getting caught up in details and the scenery. The island was not important. It was just the setting for the story which was a human drama about trials of life, faith, falling from "grace" and redemption.
Then why did they focus on convincing us that it was so important for all but one show over six seasons?

I'm sorry if some of you are disappointed by this because it conflicts with your world view but it seems that the actors involved in the show were satisfied by the ending .
They're actors. I don't expect brilliance from them.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 08:18 AM

Difference being that BSG actually had explanations for the things people wanted to know (whether or not they were good is irrelevant). But with Lost, they built up expectations for things that were important, and then in the end said "Nope, nevermind - everyone is dead and none of that matters." Sorry, but that's a cop out.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2010, 08:45 AM

Then why did they focus on convincing us that it was so important for all but one show over six seasons?
Exactly. If you're going to initially sell the show based on the mystery of the island, don't tell us at the end that the island didn't matter.

Lost is just one more example that TV can't tell a complete story when that story spans multiple seasons. They don't ever seem to go into it with their end-game planned out, which means that important things in the beginning don't jive with things at the end.

Fortunately, I went into the end of Lost not expecting any better. I'm just disappointed with all the time I've wasted with the show over the last 6 seasons.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 08:49 AM

Because it wouldn't be much of a show if they got off the island after the first season? Because it wouldn't be much of a show if they crashed on an island in the middle of nowhere with only trees and beaches?

The Island was a TOOL for use in character development. The Island was a SETTING for the show Lost. The mysteriousness of the Island is what DREW IN MILLIONS OF VIEWERS EVERY WEEK FOR 6 SEASONS.

That said, the mystery about the Island, Dharma, etc. were never important in the grand scheme of the show Lost.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 28, 2010, 08:55 AM

I never watched the show but have enjoyed following this thread. So let me see if I've got this straight. There was a plane crash, nobody survived, and the stuff that "happened" during the 6 seasons didn't really happen?

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 09:10 AM

No, it all happened.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I never watched the show but have enjoyed following this thread. So let me see if I've got this straight. There was a plane crash, nobody survived, and the stuff that "happened" during the 6 seasons didn't really happen?
The stuff on the Island happened. The stuff in the sideways flashes didn't happen.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
No, it all happened.
It all happened, but none of it mattered.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 28, 2010, 09:18 AM

I suppose I should count myself among the lucky that didn't get hooked on the show.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2010, 09:23 AM

I suppose I should count myself among the lucky that didn't get hooked on the show.
indeed. at the beginning of this season I was no longer "hooked", but resigned to see the end to 6 seasons of investment. no more getting hooked on shows for me.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 09:39 AM

You know, I am annoyed about aspects of how they ended it, but it was still a fun ride. The character development and story was quite engaging.

I still have an odd suspicion we haven't seen the last of LOST.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2010, 09:42 AM

SO keeping evil from infecting the world and killing millions didn't matter?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
SO keeping evil from infecting the world and killing millions didn't matter?
According to the writers it didn't.

Also, who said anything about keeping evil from the world and killing millions? That's just a theory. Besides, there's plenty of evil in the world already, why would Flocke make a difference?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

andi*pandi
May 28, 2010, 10:17 AM

Imagine you're reading the DaVinci Code. Imagine it is a good book, and you're really interested in the mystery of the code. You're so into the book that you're right there with the characters tromping through museums, being chased down highways, etc. People are dying because of the secrets, but then secrets keep getting more complex, leading to more clues and puzzles. Main characters are on the run, and then they are faced with the bad guys.

The next chapter shows the main characters, and the bad guys, sharing daiquiris, wearing panama hats, and dancing the limbo. No mention of the secret code is again mentioned. The End.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Imagine you're reading the DaVinci Code. Imagine it is a good book,
Agh I'll have to really stretch my imagination there
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Demonhood
Administrator
May 28, 2010, 02:42 PM

What Andi said.

The writers/producers of the show are simply trying to deflect the glaringly obvious fact that they didn't have a full plan for the show by saying "it was all about the rich characters!" Sure, the rich characters are great. Loving/hating/envying characters over 6 seasons, getting to know them deeply, that's all terrific. It's something storytellers work a long time to master. But let's be honest here writers; the story matters too. Especially when it is so central to the reason why you have so many fans. We love the mystery, the action, and half answers, the intrigue. You know what we love even more? When they intertwine logically with these rich characters. When they "matter." You don't have to answer everything, but you shouldn't spit in the face of your viewers and say that none of that really mattered because they should be satisfied by the character arcs alone.

I was emotionally satisfied by the ending, but I was intellectually angered.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
I was emotionally satisfied by the ending, but I was intellectually angered.

My feelings exactly.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post

The writers/producers of the show are simply trying to deflect the glaringly obvious fact that they didn't have a full plan for the show by saying "it was all about the rich characters!"
That is made worse by the fact that they were given 3 years notice of when the show was going to end so they could plan out a proper ending and wrap up at least some of the loose ends. But instead they got farther and farther away from the premise the show began with.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 29, 2010, 10:24 PM

In all honesty the story could have been told a lot more succinctly, if you watch season 1 then season 6 you really don't miss much, It could have easily fit into 1-2 seasons once you cut out all the pointless BS. I was really hoping to learn more about Dharma though.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2010, 02:05 PM

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 18, 2010, 02:35 PM

The Black Rock broke the statue and traveled 6 miles inland? Sure, why not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules