Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > OS X Software RAID on Linux

OS X Software RAID on Linux
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 11:03 AM

I have a 500 GB software RAID that I created using Disk Utility and two 250 GB drives (just needed speed, not so much reliability as it's not particularly crucial data). The drives are SATA but are in a FW800/400/USB2.0 external enclosure.

Does anyone know if there's anyway that I could get the RAID mounted on a Linux box? All my Linux boxen are already set up to mount HFS+ block devices so the only real issue is the software RAIDyness.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 11:34 PM

As far as I know, OS X's software RAID is proprietary to Apple. Shoulda bought an enclosure with hardware RAID.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:12 AM

I figured that was probably the case. Oh well, I'll just have to put my new drive in an enclosure so I can connect it directly to my Mac and copy everything over quickly that way. Now if only I could figure out if the 1 TB WD MyBook Essential had a SATA drive in it or PATA without actually buying it and ripping it open...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 01:05 AM

Given the lack of 1TB PATA drives and the cheapness of SATA-USB adapters, SATA is a good bet.

But why not just buy a bare drive and separate enclosure? No sense in voiding the warranty on both when it doesn't save you much (if any) money.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 09:41 AM

That's almost definitely what I'll do. I can't actually remember the last time I bought a pre-assembled external hard drive. Although the 1 TB MyBook Essential is very well priced ($190 at Best Buy vs. about $250 for the cheapest FW800 one I can put together at Newegg or about $200 as the cheapest USB2-only)... Actually, at Newegg, I can get a pre-built FW800 1 TB external drive for just $156.75! (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16822101094R)

Forum Links
Forum Rules