Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cat door that locks on detection?

Cat door that locks on detection?
Cold Warrior
Oct 26, 2008, 09:22 PM

I have a small dog that has figured out it can escape through the cat door. I know there are cat doors that unlock if the cat wears a magnetic or IR collar, but I'd like one that locks when it detects such a collar. I don't want to put collars on my cats, so does anyone know of a pet door that stays open all the time except when it detects a specific mag/IR collar?

It's the absolute reverse of collaring all your pets with the allowed collars -- just collar the one you don't want to have free reign.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2008, 10:20 PM

Take apart one of those magnetic ones and figure out how it works. You might be able to hack it to stay open, and have the magnet latch it instead.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2008, 10:49 PM

Put collars on your cats.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2008, 11:28 PM

Reverse the solenoid polarity in the lock mechanism and re-install the spring to hold it open until the operating voltage does its thang.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2008, 11:30 PM

Get a cat instead of a dog.

Oh, wait, nevermind

-t

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 12:26 AM

Why don't you collar your outdoor cats? What if something were to happen to one of them? Aren't they required to show rabies tags where you're from?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 03:53 AM

Futile endeavours of mankind #15: Attempting to control cats.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Oct 27, 2008, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. No, they don't have to wear collars with rabies tags. And collars for them aren't a desirable option because of the worry that the collars will get hung or caught on something.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 27, 2008, 09:15 AM

Survival of the fittest.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 09:48 AM

Holy crap, I can't find ANYTHING that works in the reverse, and every idea I have on how to rig such a device ends up on the floor, unworkable.

You would think that someone would have come up with something like this...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

idykenano
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2008, 10:37 AM

The problem is not that you can't find it, its that once you do the cats will figure out how to let the dog out the door.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by idykenano View Post
The problem is not that you can't find it, its that once you do the cats will figure out how to let the dog out the door.

-t

Cold Warrior  (op)
Oct 27, 2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Holy crap, I can't find ANYTHING that works in the reverse, and every idea I have on how to rig such a device ends up on the floor, unworkable.

You would think that someone would have come up with something like this...
Indeed. It would seem like a common option, albeit less used. I'm also considering indoor invisible fencing to keep him away from the cat door.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 11:49 AM

Put the cat flap higher up the door, with a little perch both sides of the door for the cats to jump onto.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Indeed. It would seem like a common option, albeit less used. I'm also considering indoor invisible fencing to keep him away from the cat door.
This is probably the best option. A lot of people will wet themselves when people start talking about "shock-collars," but you can train the dog for a few weeks, then disable the shock.

But, if you do that, the dog may not want to ever leave the house through that door...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Cold Warrior  (op)
Oct 27, 2008, 06:38 PM

I've read on their website that it only takes just a couple of shocks and that it feels like static electricity discharge. I'll test it on myself a couple times first to make sure it is relatively humane. From my point of view it'd be inhumane to let him run into the street or run away and starve to death rather than impose a bit of discipline to keep him indoors or in the fenced yard.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 07:16 PM

Yes, the shocks are extremely mild, and whatever you feel, he'll feel a lot less.

But again, how will he ever want to go out that door when he's allowed to? Is the his only way out to the back yard or whatever?

Cold Warrior  (op)
Oct 27, 2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Is the his only way out to the back yard or whatever?
The dogs have a separate door at the other end of the house. It opens into a very large fenced yard.

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2008, 11:08 PM

I think there was a guy on this forum, or i might have read it somewhere else on the internet. Now this thing sounds very high tech, but it was actually a very simple implementation. He put a little camera on that door, and the camera send its images to a little computer. This computer detected on the shape of the image whether (in his case) it was a cat or a mouse that was trying to come through the door. Based on this it locked or unlocked the door.

I am very sorry, but I don't remember the source.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2008, 11:29 PM

We tried the invisible fence once. Our biggest dog walked right over it, as if he wasn't getting shocked at all. He literally didn't even notice, even on the highest setting.

Or basset hound, however, froze in terror at the first shock, refusing to move and therefore getting shocked repeatedly. We had to physically remove her from the wire.

Invisible fence didn't work for us.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 11:57 PM

And collars for them aren't a desirable option because of the worry that the collars will get hung or caught on something.

How about a breakaway collar? They have a Fastex buckle that doesn't click into place, so it'll slip out if it gets snagged.

The only downside is if your cats "lose" a bunch of them.

I know it's not an ideal solution, but I figured I might as well throw it out there anyway.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2008, 12:35 AM

I've read on their website that it only takes just a couple of shocks and that it feels like static electricity discharge. I'll test it on myself a couple times first to make sure it is relatively humane. From my point of view it'd be inhumane to let him run into the street or run away and starve to death rather than impose a bit of discipline to keep him indoors or in the fenced yard.
It hurts pretty bad. We used to shock each other with them when we were teens. You can hid a collar in someone's coat pocket. Leave the house... they feel a buzz, reach in to see what it is and ZAP.

Good times.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2008, 09:53 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules