Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What gives? 15 refurb 17" MBP models

What gives? 15 refurb 17" MBP models
amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2009, 04:46 PM

I don't think I've ever seen so many 17" refurb MBP models in Apple's Special Deals section. I counted 15 of them.

Can't help but wonder what's happening?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2009, 05:00 PM

Wow, that is crazy. Maybe a whole lot of people (or a company) ordered the old one, then the new one got release and they decided to upgrade? :o
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Cold Warrior
Feb 16, 2009, 05:18 PM

Between CPU speeds and other custom options, maybe there's just a natural variety among the higher-end refurbs.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2009, 11:39 PM

There can't be that many 17" MBP returned to Apple, can there?

I'm wondering if Apple is liquidating brand-new excess 17" inventory by selling them off as refurbished.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2009, 04:16 AM

There's a clearance items section for that.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...als/clearance/

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2009, 10:55 AM

Yep, I knew about the Clearance section. Only one model there...whereas the refurb section still has the huge selection of refurb 17" models.

Now that the 17" unibody is shipping, could it possibly be that all the Apple Stores are returning their 17" inventory to the mother ship? And that the mother ship doesn't quite know what to do with them?

Admittedly, these could all be the floor display models returning, but the huge selection of refurb configurations argues against that, since only the 17" base models would be displayed in-store, no?

Thorzdad
Feb 17, 2009, 11:31 AM

It could be a batch that were out on corporate lease that came back once the lease was up, or the company upgraded.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
It could be a batch that were out on corporate lease that came back once the lease was up, or the company upgraded.
That's the best explanation yet!

Still, we'll never know will we? We need someone to go and buy a half dozen of these and let us know what's up!

I just can't get over the fact that there's only one 15" refurb model and then that huge number of 17" refurbs. I'm overwhelmed by curiosity as how that came about...

Forum Links
Forum Rules