Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sec. Powell - I stay Republican 'because it annoys them'

Sec. Powell - I stay Republican 'because it annoys them'
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2015, 05:42 PM

As this is coming from someone who would have probably been handily elected POTUS had he chosen to run in 1996 or 2000, what does this mean for the modern day GOP?

Discuss!

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell joked that he identifies as a Republican to annoy the GOP’s right-wing.

“Yes, I’m still a Republican,” he said about his party affiliation during the Washington Ideas Forum in Washington, D.C., according to the Daily Mail.

“I want to continue to be a Republican because it annoys them,” Powell quipped to host Walter Isaacson.

“I think the party has shifted much further right than where the country is and it should be obvious to party leaders that they cannot keep saying and doing the things that they were doing and hope to be successful in national-level election in the future, not just in 2016,” he added.

Powell said a small faction in the GOP is alienating voters with their rhetoric on immigration.

“I think most Republicans understand that we need immigration, we are an immigrant nation [and that] it is in our best interest to do it,” he said.

“But there are pockets of intolerance within the Republican Party [and] the Republican Party had better figure out how to defeat that."

Powell also disputed the notion that GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump represents the Republican message on immigration policy.

“I don’t agree that it’s the Republican position on immigration,” he said of Trump’s stance.

“If I was around Mr. Trump — Donald, who I know rather well — I would say, ‘You know, Don, let’s see what happens — let’s tell all the immigrants working in Trump hotels to stay home tomorrow,” Powell said. “Let’s see what happens.”

Powell urged listeners to look at their fellow Americans and take pride in the immigrant backgrounds they might find.

“There are first-generation American immigrants who will raise children who will go up to higher things,” he said.

“It’s that immigrant tradition — get started and the next generation will be better and the generation after that will be even better.”
Powell: I stay Republican 'because it annoys them' | TheHill

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2015, 06:37 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Immigrants are cheap labor.

If a Republican tells you they don't like cheap labor, they're lying.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2015, 06:51 PM

If you are talking about the more business oriented, investor class Republican types I would agree with you. The problem is there aren't enough of them to comprise a voting majority. So as part of its Southern Strategy since the Barry Goldwater presidential run the GOP uses dog-whistle politics to appeal to the racial resentments of white voters who aren't a part of the "country club" set. And nowadays those GOP voters who are clearly anti-immigrant (and arguably hostile to minorities in general) comprise the base of the Republican party. Many of whom are working and lower-middle class so they are most definitely not in favor of "cheap labor" because it's viewed as a source of downward pressure of their own wages. And in many instances they are right.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Oct 1, 2015 at 11:54 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2015, 10:22 AM

He's a republican because he's not a democrat. That's not a slam.

There really are two very distinct types of Republican now, in a way I don't think can be said about Democrats. Powell is a 90s GOPer. The anti-establishment sect of the GOP can't stand them.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2015, 10:43 AM

Powell is a RINO. VERY EASY to understand. No dog whistles needed.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2015, 11:55 AM

^^^^

The modern-day GOP would consider Ronald Reagan to be a RINO as well. Which speaks volumes.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2015, 11:59 AM

Here's a question (for RINO haters): Are RINOs Democrats then? That's the implication, right? Because I seem to recall McCain is a RINO, but he is no Democrat.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2015, 12:14 PM

A non-conservative with liberal leanings AND that "R" after their name would be a RINO.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
^^^^

The modern-day GOP would consider Ronald Reagan to be a RINO as well. Which speaks volumes.

OAW
MANY conservatives would disagree. Its an old liberal talking point.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
MANY conservatives would disagree. Its an old liberal talking point.
Talking point? When he granted amnesty for 3 million illegal immigrants? And raised taxes in 7 of his 8 years in office? Ok. Let me re-phrase that then ...

Originally Posted by OAW
The modern-day GOP would consider anyone within their ranks who adopted the exact same positions on immigration and taxes as Ronald Reagan to be a RINO as well. Reagan himself gets pass. Which speaks volumes.
OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2015, 01:12 PM

The modern-day GOP would consider anyone within their ranks who adopted the exact same positions on immigration and taxes as Ronald Reagan to be a RINO as well. Reagan himself gets pass. Which speaks volumes.
Stephen Colbert gets Ted Cruz to admit he doesn't agree with Reagan on immigration or taxes - Vox
COLBERT: Let me ask about Reagan for a second. Democrats and Republicans have had reasons why they like Ronald Reagan. But does today’s modern Republican Party reflect some of the things Reagan did? Reagan raised taxes. Reagan actually had an amnesty program for illegal immigrants. Neither of those things would allow Reagan to be nominated today. … But are those aspects of Reagan something you could agree with? Raising taxes and amnesty for illegal immigrants?

CRUZ: Ronald Reagan

COLBERT: Could you agree with Reagan on those two things?

CRUZ: No, of course not.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2015, 02:08 PM

The deal was to give 3 million amnesty AND CLOSE THE BORDERS. We're still waiting for that to happen, but the Democrats LIED and continue to lie today.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2015, 09:58 AM

I'm shocked. No, not really. McCain is probably in the same camp, they stay in the party just to troll.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2015, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Immigrants are cheap labor.

If a Republican tells you they don't like cheap labor, they're lying.
Your point doesn't make sense today.

We have got plenty of unemployed American citizens who don't have a choice but to take low paying jobs. There is NO shortage of cheap labor in the US, even if you cut off all illegal immigrants.

-t

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2015, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Your point doesn't make sense today.

We have got plenty of unemployed American citizens who don't have a choice but to take low paying jobs. There is NO shortage of cheap labor in the US, even if you cut off all illegal immigrants.
The state of Alabama would beg to differ based on their experience trying to prove that theory of yours as true.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules