Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommendations on affordable (under $40) compact BT mouse?

Recommendations on affordable (under $40) compact BT mouse?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2013, 03:21 PM

I just got a Windows tablet from my new job (whoo!) and want to get a decent compact BT mouse for it. Right now I'm using an Apple Magic Mouse with Windows drivers, but it's pretty lame - click, right click, and scroll are all it supports. Plus, it's big, heavy, and breakable (glass top), which are all bad points for a compact, mobile mouse.

Unfortunately, Logitech appears to have given up on the BT market entirely aside from ONE $70 all-touch mouse. I love the MX705 and have several, but they use the Unifying receiver and as such are not a solution for me - my tablet has one USB port, and since it's USB 3.0 I really don't want to waste it on an RF receiver.

Do any of you guys have a favorite Bluetooth mouse that has functionality beyond basic clicking and scrolling? I'd really like something similar to the MX705, with a few extra buttons that I can map to various shortcuts on an application-specific basis.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

P
Oct 14, 2013, 08:43 AM

I use my Magic Mouse, actually. It is absolutely NOT breakable - mine has traveled several laps around the globe in my carryon with no hard cover whatsoever.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2013, 09:18 AM

It's also not glass.

P
Oct 14, 2013, 11:47 AM

Also: check out The Wirecutter on this subject. They basically punt and say that there are no good options - note that the V470 they give a backhanded recommendation is EOL - but they do talk about some options.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2013, 02:58 PM

The only Bluetooth mouse I've been able to find with more than the usual two buttons + scroll wheel is this one:

Razer Orochi Gaming Mouse - Elite Notebook Gaming Mouse - Razer United States

Not under $40 though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ibook_steve
Oct 14, 2013, 03:46 PM

I love my Logitech V470, if you can find it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2013, 05:58 PM

I dropped a bluetooth keyboard on top of a Magic Mouse once. The top spider-web shattered just like glass. If it's not glass, then I'm wrong on that one. It is, however, breakable.

There's also the fact that I simply don't want to use it if I can find a better alternative, for all the reasons I listed.

I'll see if I can find a V470. Thanks for the tip!

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2013, 11:04 AM

For anyone interested, I found a so-so replacement for the M705 - the Logitech M555b, which is no longer for sale. I found one for $30 on eBay.

It's a good mouse. It's compact, has an easy to use on/off switch, and putting it in pairing mode was easy (some mice have given me fits trying to actually pair). Most importantly, it has the hyper scroll wheel that also rocks left/right and has an extra mappable button below the scroll wheel.

My ONLY complaint about it is that the scroll wheel clicks down to switch between hyper and standard scroll, rather than serving as a middle button (which I use constantly for opening links in new tabs in Chrome and FIrefox). I really wish Logitech would just make a Bluetooth version of the M705. I'd buy several if they did.

Oh well...

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2013, 11:08 AM

Another vote for the logitech v470. Really like it.

P
Nov 2, 2013, 02:22 PM

Someone needs to email this thread to Logitech to make them start producing that mouse again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules