Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Does a FAQ exist for basic integration how-to?

Does a FAQ exist for basic integration how-to?
JoshXotic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 10:05 AM

Hello! I am looking for a FAQ on how to best integrate Mac users into a large office environment. Best practices, how-tos. Things such as working with an Exchange server (Entourage would be fine), file sharing, proxy servers that require authentication, etc.

I have just started a project to document how the 12" PB would work in our environment. My Mac OS experience is counted in hours at this point. In the first few hours I had Firefox, GIMP (and X11), and a few other things installed, and was very happy. I am having some problems with Entourage. File sharing is great but I can't seem to get a password to cache. I did try changing my Short Name to my Windows account which helped (although Firefox no longer works), but passwords will not cache.

If I can document a "positive experience", we would allow certain users to utilize the 12" PB. So far the only drawback I see is the lack of a docking station (please do not suggest the bookendz, grin).

Thank you SO much for your help!

Josh
Life begins at 600rwhp.

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 11:14 AM

I recall having problems getting my SMB passwords to cache as well, though I haven't been using my Powerbook in a windows environment for a while. If the problem is still a bug in Panther (10.3), it may well be fixed with the release of Tiger (10.4) in the next few months.

Anyway, as a more general help, Apple provides the following info:

http://www.apple.com/business/mac_pc/

There are a fair number of links and tutorials available from that page, and we're all more than willing to help with specific problems/questions.

Welcome to Macintosh, and heartfelt best of luck with opening up your office environment to Mac use...
cpac

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 11:52 AM

As cpac indicated, SMB passwords have problems making their way into the keychain. There are a few solutions over at MacOs X Hints (search for smb password), some of them being shell- or apple-scripts. We can hope that this will be solved in 10.4 (there is major work going on in the SMB layer, especially in 10.4 Server, so there is a real chance).

You might also want to check out MacEnterprise.org as they have a number of articles in that general direction. But they are a little more focused on large installations.

JoshXotic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 10:33 AM

Great, thanks for your help!
Life begins at 600rwhp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules