Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iTunes cover art

iTunes cover art
jmelrose
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 02:47 AM

Has anyone any ideas on quick/easy ways to get cover art for albums not bought at the iTunes Music Store? A lot of what i need is there on the site, but unfortunately the only way to get it right now seems to be to buy a track and get the album art at that time. It's too bad the art can't be drag-n-dropped from the store window.

Is it possible for someone to make a program, or even an Applescript that could semi-automate the process of getting the art from Amazon.com? That seems to be best place to get the artwork as best I can tell, unless anyone has any better suggestions?

Anyone know where the artwork is stored, btw?

Thanks!
J.Melrose

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 02:58 AM

The artwork is encoded into the file itself. This means it stays with the song. Good and bad. Imagine if the iPods had color screens, they could have the extra wow factor of album cover art.

As far as automating cover art download. Try clutter:

http://www.sprote.com/clutter/

It will dowload the art as you play files from iTunes, and then you can apply them to your files.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 03:19 AM

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by jtbowden:
The artwork is encoded into the file itself.
This seems like it could take an unneccessarily large amount of storage space. The songs I bought from iTunes have fairly high res covers... and this is stored in every song in an album? I guess the trade off would be that copying the songs would lose this metadata if not imbedded into the files.

Doesn't at least one of the cddbs support an album-cover mp3 tag? How does iTunes store this info? If embedded into the song, it should be implemented exactly the same as other tags. If stored elsewhere, only one copy is needed...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 09:56 AM

one way to get the album art is to use clutter and then copy the image in clutter, get info on a song in iTunes, and paste it into the artwork tab. if you have an entire album you can either paste it for each song, or paste it for one, and then drag the image out itunes to your desktop as a image clip and then select the entire album and drag the clip from your desktop into iTunes.

either that or seach amazon for the images.

i hope someone makes an automated way of doing this soon.

schalliol
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 10:16 AM

1. Play the song
2. When Clutter shows it, drag it out of the finder (it's nested inside your user library folder under images) and drag it onto iTunes in the bottom left (where the cover art is for the selected tracks

Done.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2003, 12:17 PM

Amazon has most of the cover art. Just download what you need, put it in a folder (anywhere, but it's nice to have it in your Home-Music folder). Go to an album (or song), select it, (for an album select all of the songs, command-A), then drag the image onto the well in the lower left corner.

I ended up having to scan about 20 albums in my 200-CD collection becuase they were not available.

Leo the 3rd
May 1, 2003, 02:45 PM

Umm, don't see this mentioned, but I'm using Safari and when I'm on Amazon, I click on the album cover to make it larger and then just drag it from the browser to iTunes (you have to select a song or you can do a group of songs if they are from the same album) and voila! I now have the cover art in iTunes.

schalliol
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 02:47 PM

Yeah, similar to what I said in relation to Clutter. I recommend you try it, as you only have to play the song to have the image downloaded. Then you drag in as you suggest.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules