Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How soon do you expect a chick to sleep with you?

How soon do you expect a chick to sleep with you? (Page 2)
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2003, 01:14 AM

Surely the real question that should be asked here is:

" How soon are you prepared to sleep with a chick?"

Cipher13
Sep 2, 2003, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
You could talk out your anus about anything and make it sound like you know what your are talking about.

I know I have self control. And don't have to act upon my "emotions"

I have reason, and can make such decisions. I am not driven by my hormones.
I'd still be right, though. It's not about talking ****; it's about picking your fights carefully.

WTF does self control, et al, have to do with anything? I'm just saying you're a moron for using such a stupid comparison. I don't care to go into the details of the argument with you, at all; I'm just saying you're ****ing stupid.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 2, 2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I'd still be right, though. It's not about talking ****; it's about picking your fights carefully.

You seriously think that dogs are behaviourally superior to humans? Please tell us all how this is. I am curious.

WTF does self control, et al, have to do with anything? I'm just saying you're a moron for using such a stupid comparison. I don't care to go into the details of the argument with you, at all; I'm just saying you're ****ing stupid.

Yes, and you surely have shown this with your pretentious babble.

Having better self control makes us behaviorally superior to dogs. If you don't agree, that is fine. But it doesn't make me a moron or stupid. Why you feel like you have to TRY to belittle someone to make your point across is beyond me. The only thing it does is make you look simple.

Lerkfish
Sep 2, 2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Funny Bugga:
Just wondering, you start seeing someone, get a long really well.

If she wants to root you on the first night, do you think she's a whore, or that you're lucky?

If you don't get it on for a few weeks: too quick or too slow?

If several months pass and she doesn't wanna get busy: fridget or good values?

If she wants to wait till marriage: You ditch her, or you respect her opinion.

What is your opinion on the issue?
I'm likely older than most people in this thread (44), so when I was dating, I NEVER expected a girl to go to bed with me right away. Doesn't mean the opportunity didn't come up, but I never expected it. If it did come up, I considered myself lucky.
I never put a time limit on it, because I viewed it as something that either happened naturally withing the framework of that relationship or it didn't. An arbitrary schedule seemed irrespectful, IMHO.

as far as "whores", I never consider women in that way for expressing themselves sexually. They're human, and have the same desires as men. Why men feel the need to assign such an extreme negtive value judgement against women for doing or wanting the exact same thing that men do is beyond me. Since basically most men want to get laid, its the weirdest logic, IMHO, to expect women to be chaste until they happen along. How are the majority of men going to get laid if the majority of women are expected to be chaste?

Cipher13
Sep 2, 2003, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
as far as "whores", I never consider women in that way for expressing themselves sexually. They're human, and have the same desires as men. Why men feel the need to assign such an extreme negtive value judgement against women for doing or wanting the exact same thing that men do is beyond me. Since basically most men want to get laid, its the weirdest logic, IMHO, to expect women to be chaste until they happen along. How are the majority of men going to get laid if the majority of women are expected to be chaste?
I reserve the terms "whore", "slut", "skank", "hoe", "strumpet", and so forth, for women who see fit to sleep around and cheat on their boyfriends.

I have just as much respect for guys who do the same... the names just don't apply.

Substitute as necessary... manwhore, manslut, manhoe, manskank, manstrumpet...

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 2, 2003, 10:42 AM

Oh, I don't assign it to just women. Men can be whores too. Sex isn't a requirement to exist. We all do have self control.

You are a Godly man Lerk. What would God say about people who are promiscuous?

Cipher13
Sep 2, 2003, 10:50 AM

Oh, I don't assign it to just women. Men can be whores too. Sex isn't a requirement to exist. We all do have self control.

Err, actually, sex is the most vital requirement for existence there is. Heh.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 2, 2003, 10:58 AM

Err, actually, sex is the most vital requirement for existence there is. Heh.
For our human race to exist. And we don't need promiscuous behavior to achieve this.

A person can live till a grand old age without having sex.

Lerkfish
Sep 2, 2003, 11:14 AM

Sexual desire is a facet of all romantic relationships, whether acted upon or not. God did create us as sexual beings. We might opt not to act on those urges, but ignoring that we have them is self-deluding.

My point was that if men want sex, but label women who give them sex as whores, that seems illogical to me. It takes two. Simple math will tell you that if 90% of the men have sex by a certain age, regardless of religious upbringing, but expect only 20% of the women to no longer be virgins by marriage, those 20% will have to be awfully busy.

Good girls have sex, too.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2003, 11:27 AM

What would God say about people who are promiscuous?
I believe He's on record with,

"Go forth and multiply."

-s*

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2003, 11:38 AM

I always enjoyed those surveys saying that 6 out of 10 boys had had sex by 18, and 3 out of 10 girls had. Either the boys were lying or some of the girls were especially busy. Probably some of each.

It's definitely a double standard. But there's a certain logic to it - I think it's human nature to worry more about the chasteness of females.

permanent68
Banned
Sep 2, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by bojangles:

Well, actually, it’s pretty simple: I asked Him. It was a very simple conversation. I didn’t know if he was there or not, so I asked Him. (Needless to say, He responded in the affirmative. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.)

I talk with Him—note: not to, with Him—Him every day. Sometimes He even initiates the conversations. Yesterday, for example, I was driving down the interstate—not even conciously thinking about Him— when He told me to slow down. I did—just a bit—and when I got to my exit, a guy on the crossroad ran a stop sign. If He hadn’t said something, I would have already been making a right, and I probably wouldn’t be typing this, right now.
'HOLY' ****, you are insane. Please start taking your drugs.

- Ca$h

PS: Can you ask god how to solve the crisis in the middle east for me? I mean he's all knowing and everything and I'm kinda curious as to his answer. Thanks!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I think it's human nature to worry more about the chasteness of females.
Not me

It really doesn't matter to me personally. I very nearly married a girl who pretty much moved in with me a couple of hours after we met. We were together for over four years and had a great relationship.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 2, 2003, 04:40 PM

Sexual desire is a facet of all romantic relationships, whether acted upon or not. God did create us as sexual beings. We might opt not to act on those urges, but ignoring that we have them is self-deluding.
Yes it's called temptation. Sex was intended for two people. I know I wish I would have waited.

My point was that if men want sex, but label women who give them sex as whores, that seems illogical to me.

Oh it does to me too. I think I get what you are saying. Them having sex with the gals makes them no better. So why are they belittling them women? I agree.

It takes two. Simple math will tell you that if 90% of the men have sex by a certain age, regardless of religious upbringing, but expect only 20% of the women to no longer be virgins by marriage, those 20% will have to be awfully busy.

Good girls have sex, too.

But that doesn't make it right.

JakeTuba
Sep 2, 2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
'HOLY' ****, you are insane. Please start taking your drugs.

- Ca$h

PS: Can you ask god how to solve the crisis in the middle east for me? I mean he's all knowing and everything and I'm kinda curious as to his answer. Thanks!

He's already given the answer. And just in case you weren't paying attention the first time:

"Do not hate your brother in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt. Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord." Leviticus 19:17-18

The rest is up to us...
SMILE! God loves YOU! 8 )

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 2, 2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by JakeTuba:
He's already given the answer. And just in case you weren't paying attention the first time:

"Do not hate your brother in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt. Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord." Leviticus 19:17-18
Whoever wrote that is a smart guy.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2003, 04:58 PM

I don't know WHAT you guys are complaining about... MY girlfriend has TMJ and Endometriosis... No lie... AND... I almost forgot... she has Burscitis (sp?) in her right arm-cant use it for repetitive tasks...

DOHDOHDOHDODHOHDOHDODHODHOHDHDOHODHHD

Frustration level increase +10

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2003, 05:05 PM

We cannot be certain how peace will be achieved at this present time, however God has declared this to be so. But it will be a peace that is short lived. The peace described by the prophet Ezekiel will be shattered by a power from the north of Israel, who will invade the land for the purpose of taking "a spoil and a prey" (Ezekiel 38:12). This event constitutes the gathering of the nations, mentioned earlier to a place called "the valley of Jehoshaphat," which the LORD's judgment.

In the New Testament we read of this same event and we are told that when men shall cry "peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them" (1Thessalonians 5:3). This scripture reference describes the return of the Lord Jesus Christ-- "the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night" (1Thessalonians 5:2). It is an unusual comment, but it describes Jesus Christ returning to an unsuspecting world.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

permanent68
Banned
Sep 2, 2003, 05:30 PM

I cannot believe how ****ing ludicrous you are.

Hey, tell god to blow up my car, he's supposedly all powerful. Also tell him to drain Lake Monona.

>rolls eyes<

check this out: SCREW GOD! GOD! I HATE YOU!

And.... nothing happens.

You christians are f*cking crazy.

- Ca$h

wolfen
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 05:31 PM

So far the opinions in this thread seem to point to two types of people:

1) There are people who feel strongly about monogamy and fidelity. Sex is about a deeper intimacy and sharing that transcends other shared experiences. A woman's sexual "discipline" seems to be associated with this view of sex, and therefore a strong indicator of partner-viability. Group 2 finds this "discipline" more of an obstacle to intimacy.

2) There are others who feel their relationships are much more dynamic and fluid, and that sharing sex is more like sharing dinner than sharing your soul. A woman's openness to sex as a shared physical experience (rather than a binding of souls) indicates compatibility for a sexual relationship -- not necessarily lifelong monogamy. Group 1 finds this casual approach towards sex as a devaluation of the experience they wish to share.

The social scientist in me wants to ask this question: Could you ever commit to someone who was a part of Group 1 if you were in Group 2, and vice versa.

My experience says tradition reveals the answer: The "sex is special" camp could accept a sexually casual woman as long as it stays monogamous. The sexaully casual guy is willing to commit to a more conservative woman as long as she can get nasty between the sheets -- but she's gotta give a taste beforehand or she'd better be really fun after the wedding.

It's so interesting to watch the uptight, sexually conservative guy flirt with the sex kitten -- hoping this wild beauty would be all his and ONLY his. It's just another form of conquest and conversion. Likewise the casual guy getting the conservative woman to play crazy in the bedroom.

The worst is the conservative guy with no skills genuinely enjoying a bland sexual life with his uptight bride. Those are the people I just can't stomach. I'd kill myself.

You guys are just stalking different prey. I accept that moralists place many cognitive layers between themselves and their willies...but I don't buy the argument that they're happier if doing so produces lifelong celibacy. The most sincere and virtuous systems of denial cannot produce 1/10 of the joy of someone loving you...even pre-maritally.

"Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all..."

wolfen
( Last edited by wolfen; Sep 2, 2003 at 06:14 PM. )
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

wolfen
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 05:34 PM

And.... nothing happens.
Some people say that once you kill someone it changes you in unforeseen ways.

But it doesn't take murder to do that. Every word you say, thought you have, and thing you imagine inevitably changes the workings of your mind, and changes you. You change.

Now ask yourself, "Was it for the better?"

wolfen

permanent68
Banned
Sep 2, 2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by wolfen:
Now ask yourself, "Was it for the better?"
No idea. My car is still intact, the lake is still there, and I feel fine. Organized religon is a huge steaming lump of BS, and I wish you people had enough common sense to realize that.

- Ca$h

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by wolfen:
. . . The worst is the conservative guy with no skills genuinely enjoying a bland sexual life with his uptight bride. Those are the people I just can't stomach. I'd kill myself.
The problem with denigrating the sex lives of Group 1 is that, over time, the sex lives of Group 2 usually become just as boring/routine. So, while I've always belonged to Group 2 (I refused to attend any college that wouldn't put me in a co-ed dorm, and I only dated women who considered sex to be a meaningful part of the relationship), I don't automatically assume that Group 1 has it wrong. Some people simply aren't as sexual as others, or they prioritize differently. This is definitely a place where the principle of "To each his own" applies.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
The problem with denigrating the sex lives of Group 1 is that...
No I think that the "happily bland" couple is a small subset of Group 1...not its entirety. But your point is taken.

To each his own.

wolfen

coolphage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2003, 08:49 PM

wait to marry her. Save yourself some trouble.
Loving the 12" powerbook.

bojangles
Senior User
Sep 2, 2003, 09:56 PM

Organized religon is a huge steaming lump of BS, and I wish you people had enough common sense to realize that.
That’s the first thing you’ve said that comes anywhere close to the truth. The great majority of religions out there include “BS,” to use your term, as part of their doctrines and dogmas. But that doesn’t mean they’re all that way, and it certainly doesn’t mean that God doesn’t care/exist/whatever. All it means is that there’s a lot of people out there that believe some “BS” along with the truth. (I’d imagine that every one of us—myself included—believes at least one thing that isn’t 100% correct.)

On that subject, please don’t try to tell me what I do and don’t know. Just because you haven’t experienced something doesn’t mean I haven’t.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

JakeTuba
Sep 3, 2003, 12:17 AM

I cannot believe how ****ing ludicrous you are.

Hey, tell god to blow up my car, he's supposedly all powerful. Also tell him to drain Lake Monona.

>rolls eyes<

And.... nothing happens.

You christians are f*cking crazy.

- Ca$h
The thing that amazes me is that God still loves you, even after you typed that. He may be disappointed, but you're still His child.

Now, do us all a favor. Quit taking us off topic and go play with those car thingys that you won't get to take with you when you die. Do you even have anything to add here that's actually on topic, or are you just talking out of your tailpipe again?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2003, 04:01 AM

He'd say: they should always double wrap if they just met the girl and never take a woman's word when they say they are on the pill unless you've been watching them actually ingest it.

Jesus ****ing Christ, what's with bringing religion into the topic?

You people make it sound like sex is always a sacred act. Sex can be sex or it can be whatever the people involved want to emotionally invest in it.
2-4 weeks if you are just dating for fun. As long it takes if you really like her and want something long term. But drop them at the curb if they want a ring before they put out. Sex isn't a bargaining chip.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2003, 04:44 AM

Organized religon is a huge steaming lump of BS, and I wish you people had enough common sense to realize that.
Religion and common sense goes together like oil and water.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2003, 05:28 AM

I have a good question for you all..and this is even from the male perspective. If a woman sleeps with a lot of guys, she's a whore, slut, etc...if a guy does it, he's thought upon by most as the sh*t. Can this be explained ? Also, saying because you're a man and that's the way it's supposed to be, isn't the correct answer...

edit: Woohoo post number 69...kinda ironic considering the topic
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

bojangles
Senior User
Sep 3, 2003, 07:43 AM

No matter how much a person hates his Heavenly Father, He still loves that person in return—and while my love is not nearly as pure, I do my best to feel the same way.

It is because of this love that bad things happen on the earth (and on every “earth”; we certainly don’t have a monopoly on good or bad people). While there is essentially nothing God can’t do, one thing He will not do is interfere with our freedom of choice. God is smart enough to realize that, if He were to interfere with our freedom of choice, it would hinder our ability to become like Him. (Contrary to popular belief, our Heavenly Father doesn’ have to be perfect; He chooses to be.) However, for every choice there is a consequence—be it good or bad—and neither will He interfere with these.

The beautiful thing about all that’s been said—on this board or otherwise—is that there’s a very easy way to
know if it’s true. God answers prayers. I’d even argue that He answers every sincere prayer, but sometimes we don’ bother to listen to said answer.

Anyway, that’s about it for me. This topic has been going downhill for a long time—some might say that’s my fault, and maybe they&#8217re right—but I for one am not going to waste any more time on it. However, I will leave you with this:

I know that God lives.
I know that Jesus is His Christ.
I know that Gordon B. Hinckley His prophet on the earth today.
I know that, as we make right choices, we can become more like unto our Father in Heaven. And that, my friends, is a beautiful thing.
I leave this with you as a testimony against the last day. Do with it as you will, but please don’t reject it outright. I learned several years ago that truth is not based on what we currently believe, but on what is actually the case. Do yourself a favor: find out.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

Cipher13
Sep 3, 2003, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
I have a good question for you all..and this is even from the male perspective. If a woman sleeps with a lot of guys, she's a whore, slut, etc...if a guy does it, he's thought upon by most as the sh*t. Can this be explained ? Also, saying because you're a man and that's the way it's supposed to be, isn't the correct answer...

edit: Woohoo post number 69...kinda ironic considering the topic
Well, firstly, your supposition is totally inaccurate (in my case, anyway).

If a guy does that, I consider him the same way I would consider a chick; with minimal respect.

Anyway. The way it goes is, given that during sex the female is the "reciever" when you think about it, she is more violated than the guy (if the guy is at all). The rest is common sense. I'm sure you can figure out the mentality.

The thing is, most guys don't think like that... you're right. To most guys, it's cool. I can explain that, too; it's the same thing that drives guys to tip over cars for fun: most of them are ****ing morons (and in this case, chauvnistic).

Cipher13
Sep 3, 2003, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by bojangles:
No matter how much a person hates his Heavenly Father, He still loves that person in return—and while my love is not nearly as pure, I do my best to feel the same way.

It is because of this love that bad things happen on the earth (and on every “earth”; we certainly don’t have a monopoly on good or bad people). While there is essentially nothing God can’t do, one thing He will not do is interfere with our freedom of choice. God is smart enough to realize that, if He were to interfere with our freedom of choice, it would hinder our ability to become like Him. (Contrary to popular belief, our Heavenly Father doesn’ have to be perfect; He chooses to be.) However, for every choice there is a consequence—be it good or bad—and neither will He interfere with these.

The beautiful thing about all that’s been said—on this board or otherwise—is that there’s a very easy way to
know if it’s true. God answers prayers. I’d even argue that He answers every sincere prayer, but sometimes we don’ bother to listen to said answer.

Anyway, that’s about it for me. This topic has been going downhill for a long time—some might say that’s my fault, and maybe they&#8217re right—but I for one am not going to waste any more time on it. However, I will leave you with this:

I know that God lives.
I know that Jesus is His Christ.
I know that Gordon B. Hinckley His prophet on the earth today.
I know that, as we make right choices, we can become more like unto our Father in Heaven. And that, my friends, is a beautiful thing.
I leave this with you as a testimony against the last day. Do with it as you will, but please don’t reject it outright. I learned several years ago that truth is not based on what we currently believe, but on what is actually the case. Do yourself a favor: find out.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
You sound like a brainwashed fool.

While there is essentially nothing God can’t do, one thing He will not do is interfere with our freedom of choice. God is smart enough to realize that, if He were to interfere with our freedom of choice, it would hinder our ability to become like Him.
Heh. Sounds like a poor excuse for a lack of any shred of evidence whatsoever regarding "His" existence.

If he was so goddamn divine, he'd see fit to interfer; if he's so preoccupied with letting us "be like him", he's a self-righteous fool, further up himself than Mariah Carey. How can those poor children being slaughtered in car bombings and whatnot "be like him" when he doesn't give them a chance?

Some God you have. I'm more compassionate, for ****s sake.

Cipher13
Sep 3, 2003, 08:04 AM

The thing that amazes me is that God still loves you, even after you typed that. He may be disappointed, but you're still His child.

Now, do us all a favor. Quit taking us off topic and go play with those car thingys that you won't get to take with you when you die. Do you even have anything to add here that's actually on topic, or are you just talking out of your tailpipe again?
Right. And your post was so relevant to "how soon do you expect a chick to sleep with you?".

Religious, and a hypocrite?!? Never.....

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2003, 08:52 AM

If he was so goddamn divine, he'd see fit to interfer...
That depends on what you mean by "divine". Does divine necessarily mean good? Or are these things independent of each other?
How can those poor children being slaughtered in car bombings and whatnot "be like him" when he doesn't give them a chance?
"Getting slaughtered in car bombings and whatnot" was never part of the plan. It appears that when God gave us free will, He (as always, I use the pronoun only as a convenient grammatical construct; I doubt gender has any real meaning to such a being) never anticipated that we would decide on the path of destruction, both for ourselves and the world around us. And I'm sorry, but I can't fault even an omniscient being for not anticipating something so ludicrous. And yet, here we are, in this sad, broken universe that we, and no one else, broke.

Assume, for a moment, the biblical story of Genesis. If we go by this, then we were never designed to die in the first place; it was only when we screwed ourselves up that death started to occur. That's the entire point of an afterlife. The universe was never supposed to work that way; it was, for lack of a better term, Plan B.

Now, of course, God could have simply destroyed us, wiped the slate totally clean, and started over. He almost did, once, and if you check the story on that, you will also see God actively express regret for creating humanity (check Genesis 6:7 and the surrounding verses). We were God's greatest success, and also His greatest failure. At the last minute (more or less) He changed His mind, seeing perhaps a way for all this to turn out all right.

Why does God permit free will in the face of evil? Because free will -the ability to think and act beyond the programming that we call instinct- is, in the end, really the only thing that distinguishes us from the other animals. There are plenty of other animals with basic capabilities with tools, intelligence, even rudimentary language. Our own capabilities with these things are more advanced, but these advancements came only with time, and couldn't have been done, once again, without the ability to act beyond our programming. Take away free will, and we cease to be human. God's hope was for humanity, not human-shaped animals. Would life be easier without free will? Certainly it would. But is that ease worth giving up our humanity? I don't think so.
Some God you have. I'm more compassionate, for ****s sake.
So in order to prevent evil from ever occurring again, you would turn six billion people into animals? No offense, but if that's the case then you don't sound all that compassionate to me.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Cipher13
Sep 3, 2003, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
That depends on what you mean by "divine". Does divine necessarily mean good? Or are these things independent of each other?
Shall I rephrase, then, oh semantic one? "If he was so goddamn perfect" - or how about "If he was so goddamn good" - take your pick.

"Getting slaughtered in car bombings and whatnot" was never part of the plan. It appears that when God gave us free will, He (as always, I use the pronoun only as a convenient grammatical construct; I doubt gender has any real meaning to such a being) never anticipated that we would decide on the path of destruction, both for ourselves and the world around us. And I'm sorry, but I can't fault even an omniscient being for not anticipating something so ludicrous. And yet, here we are, in this sad, broken universe that we, and no one else, broke.

Assume, for a moment, the biblical story of Genesis. If we go by this, then we were never designed to die in the first place; it was only when we screwed ourselves up that death started to occur. That's the entire point of an afterlife. The universe was never supposed to work that way; it was, for lack of a better term, Plan B.

Now, of course, God could have simply destroyed us, wiped the slate totally clean, and started over. He almost did, once, and if you check the story on that, you will also see God actively express regret for creating humanity (check Genesis 6:7 and the surrounding verses). We were God's greatest success, and also His greatest failure. At the last minute (more or less) He changed His mind, seeing perhaps a way for all this to turn out all right.

Why does God permit free will in the face of evil? Because free will -the ability to think and act beyond the programming that we call instinct- is, in the end, really the only thing that distinguishes us from the other animals. There are plenty of other animals with basic capabilities with tools, intelligence, even rudimentary language. Our own capabilities with these things are more advanced, but these advancements came only with time, and couldn't have been done, once again, without the ability to act beyond our programming. Take away free will, and we cease to be human. God's hope was for humanity, not human-shaped animals. Would life be easier without free will? Certainly it would. But is that ease worth giving up our humanity? I don't think so.
Would such almighty being be able to **** up so royally? I wouldn't think so... so, he isn't perfect... right? Cause he ****ed up.

He messed up. He made a mistake. He is imperfect.

He didn't foresee what would become of us - why not? He has no excuse for being so blind. Gonna make one up for him?

The entire contents of that quote above relies on one thing: Genesis.

Genesis is a fairy tale. A story. A load of crap. I hope you have something better to fall back on than that. Our free will is a result of evolution; not any "God".

So in order to prevent evil from ever occurring again, you would turn six billion people into animals? No offense, but if that's the case then you don't sound all that compassionate to me.
Why would I have to turn six billion people into animals? If I was God, I'd click my fingers, tap my heels, whistle Ole King Cole, and make everything better.

Right?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
Because you're a man and that's the way it's supposed to be.

The male of the species has an interest in knowing that his partner's child is his and not somebody else's. The male also has an interest in distributing his genes as far and wide as possible. It follows that the species would evolve with an instinctual prejudice against women who sleep around and an instinctual prejudice in favor of men who do. Men will gladly sleep with the whore but they prize the virgin. By any abstract measure, it's a double standard and "unfair," but nature doesn't operate in the abstract and doesn't care about contemporary notions of gender equality.

It's possible to overcome this instinctual prejudice but the fact remains that it still drives a lot of our behavior, as evidenced by the fact that the subject keeps coming up in this very thread. I'm sure there's also a degree of social conditioning involved, but I think that conditioning is mostly an extension of the innate prejudice. Some will consider me crass and reductionist but I think the evidence speaks for itself.

Personally, I have no problem with women who sleep around as long as they include me.

JakeTuba
Sep 3, 2003, 12:12 PM

Shall I rephrase, then, oh semantic one? "If he was so goddamn perfect" - or how about "If he was so goddamn good" - take your pick.

Would such almighty being be able to **** up so royally? I wouldn't think so... so, he isn't perfect... right? Cause he ****ed up.

He messed up. He made a mistake. He is imperfect.

He didn't foresee what would become of us - why not? He has no excuse for being so blind. Gonna make one up for him?
The fact is that we all have free will to do what we want. Otherwise, we'd just be a bunch of sheep. It was our choice to bite the apple from the tree of knowledge and try to become like God. The consequences are many and we chose poorly. Now, we must suffer the works of the devil and his demons.

The entire contents of that quote above relies on one thing: Genesis.

Genesis is a fairy tale. A story. A load of crap. I hope you have something better to fall back on than that. Our free will is a result of evolution; not any "God".
Uh, you better check your facts again and see what credible scientists have to show on the subject. Facts show that no one has been able to disprove anything from the Bible with any credible shred of evidence. It is a Book of history and contains fact, whether you wish to believe it or not.

Why would I have to turn six billion people into animals? If I was God, I'd click my fingers, tap my heels, whistle Ole King Cole, and make everything better.

Right?
Boy, am I glad you're not. I shudder at the thought of what you think the world should be like.

Oh, and by the way... You can thank Ca$h for starting this whole off-topic rant. I'm not trying to be a hypocrite. I was merely stating the obvious topic hijacker and rabblerouser. Our poor compadres doesn't even have anything to read anymore...

My most sincere apologies everyone!

We now return you to your regular programming...
( Last edited by JakeTuba; Sep 3, 2003 at 12:18 PM. )

sielo_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Funny Bugga:
Just wondering, you start seeing someone, get a long really well.

If she wants to root you on the first night, do you think she's a whore, or that you're lucky?

If you don't get it on for a few weeks: too quick or too slow?

If several months pass and she doesn't wanna get busy: fridget or good values?

If she wants to wait till marriage: You ditch her, or you respect her opinion.

What is your opinion on the issue?
1. You feel really lucky that you hooked up with a whore that you get along with very well.
2. You're too quick for a girl that moves too slow
3. She's prude pretending to have good values.
4. You respect her wishes and ditch her for her friend that isn't afraid of her sexuality.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2003, 09:44 PM

I never had any expectations of sex till I met my wife. She was the first. Have been happily maried for over 31 years.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I never had any expectations of sex till I met my wife. She was the first. Have been happily maried for over 31 years.

Wow.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 10:02 PM

Chicks want to pick me up and sleep with me all the time. But I'm past that and am at that point in life where I need my soul-mate and I'll wait for her.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 10:26 PM

why the hell do we need to revive a 3 month old dead thread?

jersey
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Chicks want to pick me up and sleep with me all the time. But I'm past that and am at that point in life where I need my soul-mate and I'll wait for her.
i just vomited.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 02:39 AM

i have to agree somewhat w/ bojangles

people who casually have sex before marriage tend to be used to sleeping wih different people, "playing the field", etc.

what happens is when they get married, they are commited to one person, but afrer a while, it doesn't satisfy them, so they want to go vack to the old way, where they had multiple partners (not at one time, mind you) and it destroys a marriage

i've already seen this happening in some of my own close friends, there IS a type of correlation between premarital premiscuousness and ruined marriages down the line
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:

people who casually have sex before marriage tend to be used to sleeping wih different people, "playing the field", etc.

what happens is when they get married, they are commited to one person, but afrer a while, it doesn't satisfy them, so they want to go vack to the old way, where they had multiple partners (not at one time, mind you) and it destroys a marriage

i've already seen this happening in some of my own close friends, there IS a type of correlation between premarital premiscuousness and ruined marriages down the line

That it total, utter rubbish.

There is no proven correlation between pre-martial sex and marriage breakdown. Don't make your twisted opinions look like fact please.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 04:31 AM

half way through the first drink...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Cipher13
Nov 10, 2003, 05:01 AM

The fact is that we all have free will to do what we want. Otherwise, we'd just be a bunch of sheep. It was our choice to bite the apple from the tree of knowledge and try to become like God. The consequences are many and we chose poorly. Now, we must suffer the works of the devil and his demons.
Blah, blah, blah. This "free will" argument to combat the fact that God was capable of creating something imperfect is getting tiring.

If there is a God, he ****ed up.

Uh, you better check your facts again and see what credible scientists have to show on the subject. Facts show that no one has been able to disprove anything from the Bible with any credible shred of evidence. It is a Book of history and contains fact, whether you wish to believe it or not.
Hahahah. You're not serious, are you?

Okay, okay. I give in. The world is 4000 years old, women grew out of my great^35 grandfathers rib, and the dinosaurs never existed. Yeah. Sure.

People as stupid and ignorant as you really should be sent to some deserted island somewhere where you can't have any effect on my society which is based on progress and knowledge, as opposed to ignorance and archaic ideologies.

Boy, am I glad you're not. I shudder at the thought of what you think the world should be like.
Beg to differ... you'd be pleasantly surprised, I think.

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:

What a complete load of bullsh!t

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 07:26 AM

Very good. As a christian American feel the same way. I am not controlled by my gonads. Sexual relationship however short is too much of an emotional matter to me. I can't play with it. God did not mean us to anyway.

gadster
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 09:08 AM

I think the problematic word in this topic is 'expect'. Just go with the flow, if the chemistry is there, hump on. If not, wait and see. It's all cool. It's all rock 'n roll. Relax and enjoy.

Your expectations are in *your* head, only. Don't go disappointing yourselves, or missing out on stuff because of your previous expectations. Move on. You know you want to.

The only people whose expectations mean anything are those on their deathbeds. IMHO of course.
e-gads

Forum Links
Forum Rules