Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > computer freezes because of ical helper

computer freezes because of ical helper
coolphage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 09:37 PM

I have no idea what ical helper is but it is making my computer run slow. About every hour the computer just starts spinning during whatever i am doing. I have one of the 12" powerbooks. I was finally able to get process viewer open to see what is going on. I was supprised to see ical helper. I have seen it using 101.5% of the cpu and 65% of the memory. It typically runs for about 30 seconds and then disapears. I have not been able to find it in the process viewer once it leaves. Has anyone had this problem. Screen shot of problem
Thanks a bunch
Nick
Loving the 12" powerbook.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by coolphage:
I have no idea what ical helper is but it is making my computer run slow. About every hour the computer just starts spinning during whatever i am doing. I have one of the 12" powerbooks. I was finally able to get process viewer open to see what is going on. I was supprised to see ical helper. I have seen it using 101.5% of the cpu and 65% of the memory. It typically runs for about 30 seconds and then disapears. I have not been able to find it in the process viewer once it leaves. Has anyone had this problem. Screen shot of problem
Thanks a bunch
Nick
101.5% CPU?

But then again, iCalHelper is the one which brings up the appointment alert from your iCal. But there's still mystery in Panther as to (1) why it's not on by default (it's hidden in the iCal package content folder and as for now you have to manually place it into your StartupItems), and (2) why it'll vanish for no reason after a while even if you run it from the StartupItems.

Still waiting for someone to enlighten us...

Forum Links
Forum Rules