Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My 12" PB fell off my desk.

My 12" PB fell off my desk.
Darksider
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 09:19 AM

As I was getting out of my chair I snagged the power adapter cord which dragged my powerbook onto the floor. Luckily it was closed before it fell and it still works! Should I be worried that it will stop working later? It seems to be built pretty tough. Unfortunately I need to get a new power adapater because the metal ring around the end of it where you plug it in got all bent up.
( Last edited by Darksider; Jan 9, 2004 at 09:24 AM. )

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 10:00 AM

If it still works I wouldn't worry about it. You might want to check for straightness of the screen and things like that see if it is still level other than that if it works I wouldn't worry too much about it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2004, 12:53 PM

With my old Tibook 500 I tripped on the cord and if flew off the coffee table about 26" down. I trashed my yoyo adapter but the laptop has been fine for 6 months.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2004, 01:49 PM

The moving parts on your powerbook are the ones you should have an eye on. Especially the harddrive is sensitive to abrasion, so I would back up my data immediately if you haven't done so. But since the drive was not spinning while the pb hit the floor, your chances are good, I guess.

gauchogirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2004, 01:33 PM

The exact same thing happened to me and my 12" (Rev A) back in April, except the only damage was to the lower left corner (dent) and it has not suffered any malfunctions or problems since then.

On a side note, my boyfriend accidentally stepped on the top of my powerbook (lid closed) last week and it suffered no damage!

I used to be worred about the stength of my little 'book but now that it's been through some tests I have no worries at all!

sktrdie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 02:29 PM

well...lets say you are lucky!
the most delicated part on the 12 is the display....the processor itself is kind of stable, so the display is all u gotta worrie abt...notice any white spots...or anything strange?

gauchogirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 12:55 AM

Haven't noticed anything at all, I was so relieved! I guess my boyfriend is light on his feet...
I still have the dent from the earlier episode and although I haven't called apple for a repair I've heard anything from $300-$600 to fix it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules