Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Directional Antenna Effect on "omni" base station signal?

Directional Antenna Effect on "omni" base station signal?
jmelrose
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2004, 11:10 AM

Hi. I am wondering if I use an external antenna on a Airport Extreme Base Station if if that means the built-in antenna no longer is used. In order words, if I get a directional antenna, does that mean going behind the direction the antenna is facing will get no signal, or just not the boost? I have a side of my house I want to boost, but my DSL is off-centrally located in the home. The side not needing a boost is my living room, and I'd hate to find out I get no signal anymore, as it currently works quite well.

THanks
jmelrose
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2004, 11:23 AM

Directional antennas work by focusing (or more accurately "directing") the radiated signal in one direction at the expense of signal coverage in all other directions. A typical wireless access point external antenna (like with Linksys products) has about a 3db "gain" factor, doubling the signal in the horizontal plane by reducing the signal level in the vertical plane-the coverage map looks like a horizontal doughnut. This does not mean that there is NO signal above or below that plane, but that it is much attenuated in comparison to the horizontal plane.

You can either get "gain" antennas, or truly directional antennas. Really directional antennas concentrate the signal in one direction on the horizontal plane. You won't get "no" signal behind this kind of antenna, but again the signal level is very much attenuated; in this case the "back lobe" signal is very small.

Most systems that have internal antennas but provide for external antennas as well will switch away from the internal when you plug in the external.

I hope this was helpful.
( Last edited by ghporter; Apr 24, 2004 at 11:29 AM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jmelrose  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 12:00 PM

Yes, I think it helps. Thanks.
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules