Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Bus speed 100MHz

Bus speed 100MHz
bossep
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2005, 05:13 PM

I have noticed that a lot of you are running QS with 133MHz System bus. What do you picture about a 'sawtooth' bus speed 100? Would 1.2GHz give most for the money or 1.4 (as they have L3 support),or the 1.7? The system bus is a bottle neck.

Would I get a much better speed if improvement by getting rid of my sawtooth and getting a DA or QS with PC133 memory and bus speed 133MHz to put the cpu upgrade in?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 05:40 PM

Since the bus speed is a bottleneck, you want to minimize RAM access as much as possible. Thus the L3 cache will be a nice benefit to your system performance.

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2005, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by jamil5454:
Since the bus speed is a bottleneck, you want to minimize RAM access as much as possible. Thus the L3 cache will be a nice benefit to your system performance.
Would I experience a speed boost with a 133MHz system bus compared to my 100MHz?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2005, 06:44 PM

Not really.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 11:55 PM

If you have a Sawtooth, like me, get an upgrade with a large L3 cache to offset the slow bus speed. Trading it in to get a system with a 133MHz bus won't help at all. jamil5454 is right on the money.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 6, 2005, 02:52 AM

From the real-world benches I've seen, the L3 provides somewhere between a 5% to a 30% boost in speed.

So, A G4 7447A at 1.7 GHz might be equivalent to something like a G4 7457 with L3 at somewhere between 1.3 GHz to 1.6 GHz.

Thus, a 1.4 GHz with L3 or a 1.7 GHz without would both serve you fine. The 1.7 is killer on Xbench though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules