Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anyone had their 20 inch iMac ship yet?

Anyone had their 20 inch iMac ship yet?
Macbear
Oct 25, 2005, 02:59 PM

This is a self serving, make me feel better post. The wait for my 20 inch iMac to ship seems like forever. Oh, I know that "on or before October 31st" means it probably won't ship until the 31st. (odd that, huh?) A little part of me hopes it might ship early. So, please, if anyone has had theirs ship, post here, just to make a waiting geek happy.
Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

Voodoogmr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 03:00 PM

I ordered mine from a local Apple resller on Oct. 14. It shipped on Oct. 21, and I got it Monday, the 24th. It was shipped directly from China via Fedex.

It'll be worth the wait!
iMac 24", 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 750GB hdd
Powerbook G4, 12", 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB hdd
iPod 5G - 30GB

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 26, 2005, 06:25 PM

I ordered mine on the 19th and the ship date is on or before Nov 2nd . . . I'm in the same boat as you where I can't wait and I check the apple order status every day so I can have some of info on my order . . . . that damn "processing order" BS is pissin me off though . . . . and reading how everyone is starting to get there is making me feel like the last kid to be picked for kickball! DAMMIT!

anyways . . . i guess this has given me more time to do research . . .

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2005, 06:53 PM

Hmm, I ordered mine on the 20th and I have mine already. Maybe your order fell through the cracks somewhere...

j/k

I'm waiting patiently for Nov 2 or before also.

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 06:53 PM

I ordered mine on Sunday from Amazon. It was 1699 - 150 rebate and no tax or shipping It has not shipped yet, its still saying unreleased.

imacgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 10:47 PM

my friend ordered his a week ago last wed. and it is still pending hahaha
Geek

Timan
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 11:04 PM

Mine says Nov 2nd wait is so long so long
- Tim

HouseSold
Senior User
Oct 28, 2005, 01:06 AM

I checked the Apple Store in Northridge, Calif. and they have them, but not on display.

I think they're holding off to sell a few more earlier's. I was hoping to compare heat from the earlier model and the iSight model after they've been on all day, but no such luck. They offered to open and sell me one, but I said I preferred to wait to compare, since they are less user friendly for home servicing now.

Anyone here compared the temperatures between earlier revisions and the iSight model?

Also, after calling around today, I found that the aftermarket 2 gig memory chip varies in price from $199 to $450.

OWC (Shane) has them for $219 and Ramjet wanted $399 (on their site-no stock) Genuine Samsung is available for a little more. These are all DDR4200 spec'd.

Hope this helps someone out there. $1200 from Apple hurts.

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 28, 2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
Also, after calling around today, I found that the aftermarket 2 gig memory chip varies in price from $199 to $450.

OWC (Shane) has them for $219 and Ramjet wanted $399 (on their site-no stock) Genuine Samsung is available for a little more. These are all DDR4200 spec'd.

Hope this helps someone out there. $1200 from Apple hurts.
I've had a nightmare trying to find 2GB sticks. Also gotta find a site willing to ship to the UK, where have you seen the Samsung memory?

stesteG5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2005, 11:21 AM

Ordered online UK apple store on 22nd Oct, Shipping 31st, should arrive before 7 november... why cantthey let us pay a bit more to ship faster???

Just a future idea lol...
Kind Regards

STE

:: Imac 20" G5, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, BT, APT, Yadda Yadda :P ::
:: 60GB IPOD PHOTO, Harman Kardon Soundstick 2. ISIGHT :) ::

scoop417
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2005, 11:54 AM

My 20" inch iMac arrived yesterday, replacing an aging Pismo. It's gorgeous and, yes, snappy.

More reasons to love Apple: I ordered the rev. B 20" on Oct. 6, but they replaced it with the iSight version and lowered my bill accordingly. And although I went for the free shipping, they overnighted it from Shanghai at no extra cost.

Click here for photos:
http://homepage.mac.com/scoop/PhotoAlbum28.html
12" PowerBook G4, 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 100GB drive
20" iMac G5 (iSight) w/1.5GB RAM and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
4GB white nano.
15GB white 3G iPod.

sray
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 01:25 PM

mine arrived last Friday. Took about 5 days shipping time with the free shipping option.

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 01:41 PM

Sigh... I ordered one with a BTO 500GB HD and it isn't due to ship until December. Anyone else go with that option?

I have gotten 1GB of RAM in my last few Macs, never seen a need for a lot more than that as I don't use any truly high-end programs that would eat it up. Anyone have any thoughts on how useful getting more than 1GB of RAM is on the new iMac?

Thanks,
jmelrose
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 01:43 PM

Sigh... I ordered one with a BTO 500GB HD and it isn't due to ship until December. Anyone else go with that option?

I have gotten 1GB of RAM in my last few Macs, never seen a need for a lot more than that as I don't use any truly high-end programs that would eat it up. Anyone have any thoughts on how useful getting more than 1GB of RAM is on the new iMac?

Thanks,
jmelrose
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
I work at the Fry's Electronics in Burbank, and I was wondering on these prices myself. According to some guy in the components department, a 2 GB stick of DDR2 RAM is avaliable for $150 (Yes, one hundred-fifty) before Associate Discount. Might wanna check that out. (Also, don't forget to check out our Mac software, which is in my department, and which I will be patrolling obsessively. (mwahahahaha, I've already sold about 5 people on iBooks. Score.)
Originally Posted by jmelrose
Although I haven't actually placed my order, when I do, it'll be with that option, and yes, it goes from 5-7 days to 5-7 weeks .
( Last edited by brokenjago; Oct 28, 2005 at 02:51 PM. )
Linkinus is king.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by scoop417
Sweet machine dude. ENJOY!
( Last edited by brokenjago; Oct 28, 2005 at 03:04 PM. )
Linkinus is king.

Sam I Am
Oct 28, 2005, 03:44 PM

I ordered mine Oct 13th, and it was supposed to ship on Oct 27th. I found out this morning that it's been delayed to "Ship On or Before Nov 14th 2005".

Boooo!

Are they running out?

Macbear  (op)
Oct 28, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sam I Am
I ordered mine Oct 13th, and it was supposed to ship on Oct 27th. I found out this morning that it's been delayed to "Ship On or Before Nov 14th 2005".

Boooo!

Are they running out?

Crap! That's exactly what I didn't want to hear!
Macbear

Macbear  (op)
Oct 28, 2005, 04:59 PM

Boooo!

Are they running out?

Crap! That's exactly what I didn't want to hear!
Macbear

Macbear  (op)
Oct 28, 2005, 05:00 PM

How do you delete a post on here? Grrr.
Macbear

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 28, 2005, 06:45 PM

no really . . . you're joking, right? I ordered mine on the 19th . . . . i need to get some work done dammit . . . is this Steve Jobs way of keeping me down? . . . afraid of a lil competition, is he? hahaha . . . .

http://www.podcastmayhem.com - Coming December 2005!

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 28, 2005, 08:27 PM

After a week of trying to find one, I was able to pick one up at the Fashion Island Newport Beach, CA store. I owned a Rev A, that was replaced with a Rev. B. It has been a great machine, but I always wanted the quiet iMac that was advertised when they first came out.

Well Apple has hit this one just perfect. First off, out of the box it is much lighter and seems much smaller too. It looks perfect in it's new design. I installed 512 MB of ram, and turned it on. It makes NO FAN NOISE! Just a woosh of air that you can barely hear when sitting in front of it. It is truly acceptable noise with this revision, and obviously the total re-design of the iMac has made it perfect now.

I am currently re-installing the OS as I always do when I get a new machine, so can't comment yet on other aspects, but I know many people are wondering. Rest assured I know what the prior issues were with noise, and Apple has taken care of it. While we waited for a fix, maybe there were none other than total re-design. I didn't need to replace my Rev. B. It is a great machine, but I will eBay it and someone else can enjoy it, while I enjoy this newer one.

So any fence sitters can go ahead and order. You will not be disappointed!
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 08:59 PM

<deleted>

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 09:00 PM

Why re-install the OS?

Do you install all the included programs, or just the OS?

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 09:01 PM

Why re-install the OS?

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 28, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by jmelrose
Why re-install the OS?

It's just something I like to do when I get a new computer. That way I know I have a pristine installation, and also not install printer drivers and languages, etc., that I don't need.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by PeterKG
I am currently re-installing the OS as I always do when I get a new machine, so can't comment yet on other aspects, but I know many people are wondering. Rest assured I know what the prior issues were with noise, and Apple has taken care of it. While we waited for a fix, maybe there were none other than total re-design.
My friend has a Rev B and I've always thought it was very quiet. Are you saying all the Rev Bs were louder than they should be, or did you get a defective one?

I've got a 20" on order. I'm coming from a Dual G4 MDD, quite possibly the loudest computer ever made. It'll be nice to have peace and quiet for a change.

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 29, 2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
My friend has a Rev B and I've always thought it was very quiet. Are you saying all the Rev Bs were louder than they should be, or did you get a defective one?

I've got a 20" on order. I'm coming from a Dual G4 MDD, quite possibly the loudest computer ever made. It'll be nice to have peace and quiet for a change.
No, my Rev B was just fine noise wise. I said that in my original post.

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 31, 2005, 02:32 PM

how many of you guys had your iMac shipped before the estimated ship date? Mine is on Nov. 2nd and right now, the wait is annoying!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Macbear  (op)
Oct 31, 2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
how many of you guys had your iMac shipped before the estimated ship date? Mine is on Nov. 2nd and right now, the wait is annoying!
I ordered on the 17th, and my iMac was supposed to ship today. So far, no change in shipping status. Yes, the wait is agonizing. If it doesn't ship by the end of the day, Apple will be getting a phone call tomorrow suggesting that they upgrade my shipping to "overnight" at no extra charge. I understand that they may have manufacturing delays, but if that's the case, they really should update their website. As of today (Oct. 31) they still list 7 to 10 business day shipping time for the 20 inch.
Macbear

bearcat2000
Oct 31, 2005, 03:56 PM

Kinda feel bad about saying it but I decided to get a new 20" iMac last night so I just went to CompUSA and bought one. They only had one in stock...added a GB stick to it and its awesome. The cam is slightly better than the isight itself. I can't imagine waiting for Apple themselves directly. I did that with a TiBook 4 years ago, i won't make the same mistake twice. BTW, that setup assistant which transfers all your prior macs contents via firewire is AWESOME! No transfer of anything else necessary!

bearcat2000
Oct 31, 2005, 03:57 PM

sorry, double post

dlep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 08:17 PM

Boooo!

Are they running out?

Very similar experience to mine. I ordered on the 14th of October and it was supposed to ship on or before the 28th. It has been moved back to on or before the 4th of November. The CSR from Apple did not expect them to ship before Wednesday, November 2. They were not expecting the amount of interest in the 20" model according to him.

Sam I Am
Oct 31, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by dlep
Very similar experience to mine. I ordered on the 14th of October and it was supposed to ship on or before the 28th. It has been moved back to on or before the 4th of November. The CSR from Apple did not expect them to ship before Wednesday, November 2. They were not expecting the amount of interest in the 20" model according to him.
I just called Apple to see if they had any further information about my order and they just let me know that the order has already been prepared and that it should ship within 24 hours. So they're only a couple days behind, not a couple weeks...

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2005, 11:09 PM

Anyone heard any better news about the 500GB drive upgrade? i know the web page is saying Dec 7 for my order, but I'm hoping it's erring on the conservative side. Are 500GB drives that hard to come by?

dlep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 06:59 AM

Boooo!

Are they running out?

Macbear  (op)
Nov 1, 2005, 01:23 PM

Yay! Just got notification that my 20 inch iMac has left Shanghai, only 1 day after it was supposed to ship. Wasn't expecting it to ship so soon, as earlier this morning I received an email telling me that the ship date had moved to "on or before November 16".

So, take heart. Even if your ship date has been bumped, it might not be that long a wait after all.

Now, of course, I have a whole new wait. Let the hourly Fed Ex tracking dance begin!
Macbear

dlep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 02:34 PM

I just received notification my 20" has just been shipped. Good news. I am excited to get it.

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 03:12 PM

When and where did you order?

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 03:20 PM

I ordered mine on the 19th and have been waiting impatiently ever since, as shown on my daily posts here on this forum, but I finally received notice last night that it has been shipped from Shanghai . . . . now I want to know when it'll arrive, but FedEx doesn't say . . anyone else have this problem . . . . i ride a motorcycle into work and would just like to know when i should drive into work so I can bring it home . . . . anyone's help would be great!

Sam I Am
Nov 1, 2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Macbear
Yay! Just got notification that my 20 inch iMac has left Shanghai, only 1 day after it was supposed to ship. Wasn't expecting it to ship so soon, as earlier this morning I received an email telling me that the ship date had moved to "on or before November 16".

So, take heart. Even if your ship date has been bumped, it might not be that long a wait after all.

Now, of course, I have a whole new wait. Let the hourly Fed Ex tracking dance begin!
Same here, I guess they just got a whole new batch or something!

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2005, 06:15 PM

Mine was scheduled for Nov 2 and it shipped today. I chose 2 day Fedex. Let's see how long it really takes!

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 02:58 PM

ok . . just to update you guys who are eagerly awaiting their imacs . . . .

date ordered: 10/19
date shipped: 11/1
estimated delivery date: 11/4

This experience has taught me a lot about patience.

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the update !

applesnapple
Nov 2, 2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2000
Kinda feel bad about saying it but I decided to get a new 20" iMac last night so I just went to CompUSA and bought one. They only had one in stock...added a GB stick to it and its awesome. The cam is slightly better than the isight itself. I can't imagine waiting for Apple themselves directly. I did that with a TiBook 4 years ago, i won't make the same mistake twice. BTW, that setup assistant which transfers all your prior macs contents via firewire is AWESOME! No transfer of anything else necessary!
Is there anything that I can do to transfer data such as music and movies from my windows pc to my new imac, in a way similar to transferring old data from an old mac to the new mac?

Macbear  (op)
Nov 2, 2005, 07:32 PM

My iMac has landed in Anchorage, Alaska. Estimated arrival here in Canada on Friday.

Woo, as they say. hoo!
Macbear

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2005, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by applesnapple
Is there anything that I can do to transfer data such as music and movies from my windows pc to my new imac, in a way similar to transferring old data from an old mac to the new mac?
Many ways...
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75320

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 02:27 PM

ok . . just to update you guys who are eagerly awaiting their imacs . . . .

date ordered: 10/19
date shipped: 11/1
estimated delivery date: 11/4

This experience has taught me a lot about patience.

Update:

Delivered: 11/3 - perfect, cuz i rode my motorcycle into work today, so I need to find a way to get it home! DAMN FEDEX for being early!

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 02:41 PM

Update:

Delivered: 11/3 - perfect, cuz i rode my motorcycle into work today, so I need to find a way to get it home! DAMN FEDEX for being early!

Hey Quicklee,

Congrats !

Where in the world are you located?

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 02:58 PM

Los Angeles - closer to Shanghai =)

Forum Links
Forum Rules