Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet?

Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet? (Page 14)
AShul007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 02:02 PM

Has anyone noticed that the rake of the screen is shorter. It does not tilt back as much as the previous models it seems....am I dreaming?

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by AShul007
Has anyone noticed that the rake of the screen is shorter. It does not tilt back as much as the previous models it seems....am I dreaming?
Compared to my 17" revA it is smaller and this is the main reason I might not keep it. Using it anywhere other than a table or desk (ie on your lap on a couch or propped up on my legs in bed), the viewing angle is horrible.

I measured with a printed out protractor and it looks like it's around 120 degrees. Will measure my 17" at home later. Does anyone know the angle of the 15" PB?
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

AShul007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 02:33 PM

Yea I was thinking the same thing...its almost impossible to see anything...Why would they have done this...is this something that can be remedied in a later version?

AShul007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 02:33 PM

My 12" went back about 150 degrees i would say.

slymasta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by jamminjamster
I'm still hoping Apple will ship my MBP 1.83 soon. I saw a few posts above that confirmed the 1.83s were shipping.

For whomever has confirmed shipping on the 1.83, did you order a standard config. and when did you order? I must have checked my order status 100 times already -- each time more and more disappointed. I want to play with my MBP already
As I mentioned earlier, I ordered mine on January 12th. Originally a 1.67, custom with 1gb RAM and french canadian keyboard. Shipped this morning, even though it was planned for the 28th.

cambro
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 02:44 PM

Crap. That SUCKS.

I never knew that this changed in the Aluminum PB and MBP. I have a TiBook and it can open up pretty much all the way. This really could be a problem that limits the flexibility (literally) of the LAPtop.

pzarker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 02:49 PM

I ordered my macbook pro on Feb 4th, and have an expected shipping date of march 8th, arrival of march 15th, should i expect it to come earlier? The problem for me is that i had the shipping address to my school, (live at boarding school) becasue it was initially supposed to come feb. 22nd or something close to it, so i changed the address to my home address when i found out it would arrive march 15th (my break is from the 9th tell the end of hte month). Im wondering if, since a lot of ppl are getting theres earlier then estimated, if i shoulid chagne the shipping address again, because i would like to have the mbp asap, not have to wait to go home to get it. thanks

Nautical
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 02:57 PM

If this is true then it is very bad news. I have a 15" Aluminium Powerbook G4 and the tilting on this revision is much less than that of the previous Titanium models. So much less in fact that I would say having any less tilting ability would make the computer useless for me in many situations. I wonder what design constraints made this necessary?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2006, 03:01 PM

Xbench comparison to a dual G5. The Core Duo gets its ass handed to it in Vector tests, of course, but other than that it does fairly well against a G5.

Too bad the Core Duo doesn't have AltiVec. That'd be awesome.

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc...setCookie=true
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nautical
If this is true then it is very bad news. I have a 15" Aluminium Powerbook G4 and the tilting on this revision is much less than that of the previous Titanium models. So much less in fact that I would say having any less tilting ability would make the computer useless for me in many situations. I wonder what design constraints made this necessary?
I don't know, but I don't like it. At first I thought it might be how thin it is, but my 17" is just as thin.

I also thought it stopped because it physically couldn't go back any further because of the body getting in the way, but taking a closer look, there is actually room for the screen to go back further, but a limiter has been put into the hinge to prevent it from going back.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 03:31 PM

I wonder if someone would be able to take some pictures of it opened up as far as it will go and at a couple different angles. I'm rather concerned because my eyes are getting very poor. I've already had catarac surgery. At any rate this would be helpful because I will strongly consider cancelling my order if I'm going to have difficulty adjusting the angle for comfortable customized viewing. Thanks somebody ... anybody?? 8>(

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by slffl
Compared to my 17" revA it is smaller and this is the main reason I might not keep it. Using it anywhere other than a table or desk (ie on your lap on a couch or propped up on my legs in bed), the viewing angle is horrible.

I measured with a printed out protractor and it looks like it's around 120 degrees. Will measure my 17" at home later. Does anyone know the angle of the 15" PB?
I printed a protractor too. Looks like 135 degrees.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 03:43 PM

As a general rule, MacNN forumites are the less educated, more clueless within the Mac community. There are far more credible sites and forums out there if you want intelligent, informed conversation from a technical/pragmatic perspective.

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by PoisonTooth
As a general rule, MacNN forumites are the less educated, more clueless within the Mac community. There are far more credible sites and forums out there if you want intelligent, informed conversation from a technical/pragmatic perspective.
Yikes! Coming from a Senior member here that seems an odd post, no offense. Besides that why not post the other sites addresses if they are so helpful. Just a suggestion.

AShul007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 03:50 PM

I dont think that this needs a mac genius. We can all see how far back it goes and it isnt far. I was in the store yesterday and put them side by side. the tilt on the new macbook is definitely less...

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 04:19 PM

I'm trying to understand why that is such important information, I don't generally tilt my current laptop back more than 135-140 degrees ever... why would you need to do that?

@PoisonTooh - Eek, thats all I have to say about that.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 04:22 PM

Wow, I totally don't understand this. "totally useless" you really need to have it back more than 120° all the time?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

AShul007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 04:23 PM

I honestly thought the same thing but when you want it to be a portable machine and want to be able to have it on you lap in bed or on a couch it is hard to see if it does not tilt back...i guess it also depends on ur height etc. but it should be able to be seen at any angle...this makes it much more limited.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by John123
I printed a protractor too. Looks like 135 degrees.
I just measured the 17". It's also 135 degrees.

iobuffa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 04:29 PM

I personally can't imagine having a use for an angle over 120 degrees. Even in my lap, that's more than enough. I haven't tried the MBP's range yet, but I will when I get home.
iobuffa
switcher as of oct 2001

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 04:30 PM

Well I guess everyone is different. When it's on my lap I am unable to look at the screen straight on. I am looking down at the screen.

iobuffa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 04:31 PM

Man you're fast...you missed my edit. I changed 135 to 120 after I realized the typo.
iobuffa
switcher as of oct 2001

AShul007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 04:40 PM

120 degrees is def. not enough...

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 04:40 PM

I'm starting a new thread for tilting angle discussion (if moderators aren't moderating the forums, I'll do it): MBP: Screen Tilt Angle Unacceptable To Some
( Last edited by schalliol; Feb 22, 2006 at 05:10 PM. )
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

mrmister
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 04:47 PM

Hmm. Can someone who has a protractor handy measure the angle on the 15" AlBooks? I'm curious.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrmister
Hmm. Can someone who has a protractor handy measure the angle on the 15" AlBooks? I'm curious.
See my post above -- it's 135 degrees.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 05:10 PM

I've lost track. Has anyone received a shipment notification for MBP with 2.16 & 120GB...or any CPU and 120?

t_hah
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol
I've lost track. Has anyone received a shipment notification for MBP with 2.16 & 120GB...or any CPU and 120?
Yes, I received my 2.0 w/ 120GB yesterday.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by slffl
What is this supposed to mean? I skipped it on purpose the first time. Then I started the task of transferring all of my data manually and it didn't seem like it would go smoothly. So I decided to do the migration 'wizard'.

I've been a mac user for 3 years.
Wizards are what you have on Windows. Assistants are what you have on Macs. I was joking.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 06:09 PM

Great, in that case, all the components available for ordering seem to be shipping. It's just a matter of how they wish to configure them....still waiting, ordered at end of Keynote and upgraded to 2.16.

jamminjamster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 06:14 PM

So what are these "far more credible" sites. I'm new to the whole apple community and i'm trying to absorb everything I can. Pass a few sites alone, would ya?

Also, I noticed that my available credit was down 2,000 today! I should hope, at least i'm assuming, to get my 1.83, 7200rpm, 1gb ram MBP soon! I ordered Jan. 18th at 8:40am.

And can anyone tell me if the iBook G4s have space bar issues? My girlfriend's space bar on her iBook takes a considerable tap to make it register, while the other keys have a normal tactile feel. Thanks!

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006, 09:39 PM

Just got back from the Apple Store. Having been using my 1.67Ghz PowerBook before and afterward, I've got to say WOW. The difference is very noticeable. I am uber impressed....
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol
I think we have the same configuration. A 2.16 with a 120gb hdd. Mine shipped yestereday. The last tracking update I have is " Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK ". I ordered mine on Jan 19th, and called to have the 2.0 upgraded on the 15th. HTH.

nusqax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 11:02 PM

Has anyone with the same config as my macbook pro been shipped yet?

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo/256MB
2GB 667 DDR2- 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Airport Extreme Card&BT

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by jimbosyn
I think we have the same configuration. A 2.16 with a 120gb hdd. Mine shipped yestereday. The last tracking update I have is " Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK ". I ordered mine on Jan 19th, and called to have the 2.0 upgraded on the 15th. HTH.
It is about to land in Indianapolis

Bennii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by gmsmith
It is about to land in Indianapolis
I think my BTO 2.0/120 is on the same shipment. I ordered on the 10th within an hour of the keynote speech.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 12:35 AM

Got mine yesterday, sold it on ebay today..

yay PROFIT
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

sebaix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 12:41 AM

How much shabbasuraj? I wanna do the same thing...

ghettochild
Feb 23, 2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by John123
Just got back from the Apple Store. Having been using my 1.67Ghz PowerBook before and afterward, I've got to say WOW. The difference is very noticeable. I am uber impressed....
more specific?
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2006, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
Got mine yesterday, sold it on ebay today..

yay PROFIT
i have never been a fan of sharking on ebay. it doesnt seem nice. but hey thats what free market means.

mine is not set to ship for a loooooooooooong time, and i have seen a few on ebay (one for 4,500) but even me with a broken computer cant see myself paying that much more than retail.

but to stick with the topic, i called apple and was not allowed to upgrade to express shipping has anyone had this problem??

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by ghettochild
more specific?
Sure. Everything. The screen brightness is noticeable. A pair of 720p video streams didn't drop frames, whereas they did on the PowerBook. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint all had very reasonable performance. Creating tabs in Safari was lightning fast. Rendering in Safari was also very fast. The iSight camera, despite its thinness, performed excellently. All UI tasks (Expose, window movement, etc.) were all significantly sped up.

It was as good or better than I'd expected.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

sebaix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
but to stick with the topic, i called apple and was not allowed to upgrade to express shipping has anyone had this problem??
Because everybody is already getting the 2-day (okay maybe 3) FedEx delivery, since MacBook Pro are shipped from China. There is no ground! So, why paying an extra for nothing. I've heard people wanting to get a refund. There will be a difference btw Ground and 2-days when MBP will be shipped fron US Mainland.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2006, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by sebaix
Because everybody is already getting the 2-day (okay maybe 3) FedEx delivery, since MacBook Pro are shipped from China. There is no ground! So, why paying an extra for nothing. I've heard people wanting to get a refund. There will be a difference btw Ground and 2-days when MBP will be shipped fron US Mainland.
ok
i thought it would go air to alaska, then air to the west coast and the express part would be either air or ground from the west coast to the east coast (nyc is my home). but i guess it goes air all the way no matter whay.

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2006, 10:00 AM

I ordered mine Jan 30th, and I haven't been charged, nor has there been an update to my order status Anyone order around then, that has any more details??

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by sebaix
Not true. I believe that Apple noted that everyone might get the express shipping upgraded for free on these because of the delay in delivery. The ground and 2-day options were always there, and they did make a difference for estimated dates. The ground and 2-day are what were noted to cover the shipping once the units cleared customs. As such the 2-day saves about 2-days off the ground shipping for most.

Thanks gmsmith and jimbosyn. Jimbosyn, I ordered mine a bit before you originally, but probably didn't get my upgrade in until later in the day on the 15th than you did. I bet that's why yours arrived first.

terigox, so you still show the product you ordered on there 1.67 or 1.83 (not the upgraded version)? If you did receive an update there, I wouldn't expect it to change until shipment.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2006, 10:31 AM

My shipping is listed as "Standard Overnite" and I didn't do anything to upgrade it... Est. Ship March 16.

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2006, 10:35 AM

My MBP shipped from China on 2/21 with a fedex estimated delivery date of 2/24. Well it is out for delivery today to my little hometown in Missouri.

jamminjamster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 10:40 AM

Just got shipping confirmation on my now CTO 1.83ghz MBP. It "left origin" of shanghai at 2:21 PM so I'm crossing my fingers for friday, but expected it monday (or maybe saturday if FedEx delivers saturday?).

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2006, 10:41 AM

Just got shipping confirmation on my now CTO 1.83ghz MBP. It "left origin" of shanghai at 2:21 PM so I'm crossing my fingers for friday, but expected it monday (or maybe saturday if FedEx delivers saturday?).
When did you order jammin?

NewMediaDesigner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 11:56 AM

we're on the same plane, I also "left origin" at 2:21. So does that mean it's headed to the states as we speak?

Forum Links
Forum Rules