Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell Widescreen resolution

Dell Widescreen resolution
maclif
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 08:31 AM

i have a Dell 2007WFP widescreen moniter attached to a 533 MHz G4 running 10.4.8. The native resolution of the moniter is 1680x1050. For some reason, I cannot get the OS to give me any resolution choices other than the standard 4:3 aspect ratio standards. I cannot find a way to set in a non-recommended resolution (unlike older mac OSes). Any ideas?

-Clif
-Clif

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 09:04 AM

does your mac support that resolution?
we don't have time to stop for gas

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 11:03 AM

What video card do you have?

maclif  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 06:47 PM

The base video card. Even if it doesn't support that resolution, is there a way to set it as a non 4:3 ratio?
-Clif

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2006, 06:59 PM

You're probably using the VGA connection, which can't detect your display resolution

Try SwitchResX
MBP 1.83

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2006, 07:39 PM

Well I own a similar dell model, and actually after restarting the machine, or possibly logging in and out, idk. it can detect the resolution as well as the type of display and model number etc. even in VGA. But the VGA may be the reason you are not getting proper resolutions, always connect to DVI when you can, or in my case, because the damn nuts broke off the connector on the display, so even if I use a rubber band to hold the dvi cable in place, it falls out, forcing me to use VGA...

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

maclif  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 08:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll look into connecting via DVI
-Clif

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2006, 10:24 PM

I don't think the Rage pro (or whatever) will go that high. I think when I had the base video card from that model in a system it wouldn't even get up to the 1600x1200 resolution of my 2001FP (I think it maxed at 1152x whatever). I had to upgrade the video card.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 03:37 AM

Yeah, your video card must not support 1680x1050. I have the same display connected to a final-revision iBook G4 (VGA connection, with the firmware hack) and it runs fine at full resolution, save for some choppiness when using Expose or Dashboard

Forum Links
Forum Rules